View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: relearned how to walk NOW skiing  (Read 2527 times)

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
relearned how to walk NOW skiing
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:23:05 pm »
Back at getting fit! Picked a pair or Karhu touring 200 skis with Pacer 3-pin bindings for ten bucks at the local Y store, at the play it again sports store I bought a pair of Whitewoods insulated boots that I have US Army 3/8" wool insoles in. My poles for now are adjustable trekking poles.
      My difficulty is no scales on the skis! can I cut in the plastic a groove 1/32" and get some traction without damaging the ski? At ten bucks I can't go wrong I know!
I am up to four miles and have done a bit of up hill training, mostly side stepping as my hips get less abuse.
       Any suggetions that my pointless torturer PT hasn't already subjected me to?

Any particular early season exercises to strenghten a weakened gut and anorexic looking legs?
       My back is holding strong and arms are getting better.
Thanks
Van
Avid outdoorsman? My son and I snowshoe and winter camp with a four season tent and no stove. When my daughter comes along we drag sleds holding the campfire style tent I made and my military style Yukon stove. We canoe and kayak long trips in the early spring till Thanksgiving. That's my son's and my last float of the canoe season as we celebrate his birthday.  My daughter more than my son loves climbing. My sore neck!
Along with the tent, I've made packs,paddles and the poor man's RV from an 18' boat trailer. It now carries our canoes, kayaks, mountain bikes, camping ger and the TeePee pole

Offline whitemtskier

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: relearned how to walk NOW skiing
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:36:17 pm »
learn the pleasures of waxing your skis..

http://www.swixsport.com/eway/default.aspx?pid=278&trg=MainContent_6179&MainContent_6179=6117:0:24,2655

Waxless skis are good sometimes in variable conditions..(I hate klister wax) around freezing.

But in drier climates waxing ought to be less frustrating. 

Your trekking poles may  not be long enough but time will tell you that.

I don't think you want to get involved in carving your P tex bases.  Learning to wax is far easier, and you seem to have a pair of skis designed to hold a combination of kick and glide waxes.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:55:13 pm »
Hi LoneGreenEagle,

SWIX has a great webiste on everything waxing.  Although they focus on track skis, you can adapt it to back country skis.  http://www.swixsport.com/eway/default.aspx?pid=278

Here is the link to their virtual waxing school:  http://www.swixschool.com/
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 01:36:13 am »
Thanks HOOP!
These skinny skis are tough to get used to. My first XC ski experience was in the Army and on K2 converts with military style bindings. We never knew what style or actual size for the skis because they were painted heavily with white paint. Some guys waxed and learned the science, I cut grooves with an angle jigged router and a dovetail bit.
      I feel sad for Hans, I to wish companies had more integrity and care for the small clients. I am still trying to find a pair of 10th mountain skis through old Army contacts. I found a pair in a surplus, but they had cracked. Hans would be half happy, this pair of Karhu 200 touring have the bear on the tips.
      They'll work for now while I heal and get stronger but I'll need a real load bearing ski before this season is over! I can't sleep tonight, the boys and I will be dragging our sleds into a local park for the next four days to camp.
        Take care
             Van
Avid outdoorsman? My son and I snowshoe and winter camp with a four season tent and no stove. When my daughter comes along we drag sleds holding the campfire style tent I made and my military style Yukon stove. We canoe and kayak long trips in the early spring till Thanksgiving. That's my son's and my last float of the canoe season as we celebrate his birthday.  My daughter more than my son loves climbing. My sore neck!
Along with the tent, I've made packs,paddles and the poor man's RV from an 18' boat trailer. It now carries our canoes, kayaks, mountain bikes, camping ger and the TeePee pole

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:52:05 am »
                Tired of car camping, I put on my packs last night for my excercise skiing time and it cut my distance down by nearly half! I am still getting out and into the woods this weekend, by ski or shoe, I'm getting further then 100' of the road. This feeling weak is for the birds even though I am recovering faster then expected. Maybe I'll pack out the camera and post a few shots. I have been making drag bars for the jet sled to pull while skiing, the rawhide end wraps are cured with one coat of oil, good enough for a field test!
       A cold camping solo weekend is just what the doctors ordered. Maybe not but I am going!
              Thanks for all the feed back
                                  Van