View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Vibram + Voile noisy?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline gbouchar

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Vibram + Voile noisy?
« on: December 31, 2010, 10:35:27 pm »
Hi.

I began using my xc skiing kit again last year. Boots are Garmont (Vibram sole) and binding are Voile Mountaineer. I often get an anoying noise when pushing in deep snow. It is not as loud when kicking and gliding. It seem the Vibram sole is rubbing on Voile binding a little bit. Those Vibram sole are common as are Voile binding.

Someone know what to do?

Thanks!

Offline PackRat

• View Profile
Re: Vibram + Voile noisy?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 01:50:07 am »
I get the same problem with lots of different boots. You can try putting a little ski was on the edges of the boots where they contact the bindings or try a bit of sandpaper on the sided of the sole.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:22:30 am »
Hi Gbouchar,

I have the same set up with a Garmont leather boot, Vibram sole and Mountaineer binding.  That squeaking may subside with time as the boot gets used more and it starts to mold better into the binding, at least with leather anyways.  Are your Garmonts leather or plastic?    Mine now squeaks very little, and I never did any modification to it.   I like Packrat's idea of the wax.  Re sandpaper, that may do the trick as well, but I suggest being very careful, as you want a nice tight fit of that sole in the binding for lateral stability which provides excellent control.   You don't want any slop in there. 
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline gbouchar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:38:32 am »
Thanks for your suggestion.

Garmont leather boot. Already sanded the rubber a little bit. Will try sanding binding a little bit too. I was aware a no-slop fit is better if i want a solid feeling when turning and all. Will try waxing. I tried grease last year. It worked but not very long.

Offline outsyd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:09:06 am »
Just put a bit of grease on the sides of the bindings before each outing.  If you use really good stuff, like chainsaw grease, you don't have to reapply as often.

Another benefit of doing this is that it reduces the strain on the bindings and it is a bit more efficient as you are wasting less energy forcing the boot rubbing in the bindings.