View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: new wooden skis  (Read 5987 times)

Offline steambender

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • woodspirit
new wooden skis
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:30:10 pm »
here are some wooden skis that i've just finished. the wide one's are 6' long and 6"wide. they go along with the wide siberian hunting ski thread i started awhile back. these skis will go to a guy who will be using them pulling a toboggan, the theory is to have more floatation and packing a wider float for hauling. they will most likely need a skin of some type, any suggestions would be helpful. the other pair are my backcountry birch skiis, 3 1/2 wide about 6 1/2 ft tall...waxed them up and tried them out last night....yee haa.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:02:12 am by steambender »

Offline lare

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: new wooden skis
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 06:07:45 pm »
Hey Steambender - good looking skis.  I notice that you have Berwyn bindings on the smaller pair.  At the symposium, you and I talked about Spruce root bindings - have you had a chance to try that yet?  Did you make those skis out of ash?  Let us know how those marsh skis (Siberian skis I guess) work out for your cutomer or friend.  Thanks for the pictures - the skis look great.   Lare

Offline steambender

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • woodspirit
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:00:50 pm »
hey lare
thanks, the wide skis are ash and the others are birch. i'm liking birch more and more.
no, i have'nt tried the root bindings yet...i have lot's of left over parts of roots, from splitting for canoes, but not whole roots....maybe more strands would be better? i will try later this winter, but those berwins are nice and i have alot more control than any of the traditional bindings...traditional, i mean circ. 1800's and earlier. will report on the wide skis and how they work. i have a pair for myself too but want to get more inserts for the berwins for them too.

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 10:48:52 pm »
       Ever impressed!
Steambender, I couldn't quite tell from the photo, I assumed those are one piece. have you done any with bent laminating after steam bending? That's how I make my canoe and kayak paddles.

how heavy is your jig table? I am curious because you are bending birch and ash. I have always had good luck bending ash, walnut and even cherry for paddles. Oak, soft maple and poplar seem to split out about 20% of the time. Some days it doesn't matter how much care I take in selecting grain!
       Let me know hoe those 6" wide skis work for you.
             Thank You for sharing your skills!
                          Van
Avid outdoorsman? My son and I snowshoe and winter camp with a four season tent and no stove. When my daughter comes along we drag sleds holding the campfire style tent I made and my military style Yukon stove. We canoe and kayak long trips in the early spring till Thanksgiving. That's my son's and my last float of the canoe season as we celebrate his birthday.  My daughter more than my son loves climbing. My sore neck!
Along with the tent, I've made packs,paddles and the poor man's RV from an 18' boat trailer. It now carries our canoes, kayaks, mountain bikes, camping ger and the TeePee pole

Offline steambender

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • woodspirit
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:08:15 am »
van
solid wood....i'm not into laminated. the jig isn't that heavy, i'll post some photos of the jig after tomorrow.
jarrod

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 01:09:57 am »
Thanks Jarrod,
I use steam bent strips in my paddles to get contrasting wood and share the qualities for durable ergonomic tools.
      My bending jig/ chair bench is a heavy walnut beast because I also use it for carving.
I haven't made a single windsor chair for a local customer since moving to SD. No one here seems to appreciate hand made furniture or personal items. Especially when all I use is hand tools for most of my work. I have a respect for the old time craftsmen and their tools. Seems everyday I turn around and there is a new power tool to simplify wood working, welding and crafting. Kinda disappointing don't ya think?
      I saw some photos of your shop last year. I still want to come see it and build a sled in your class. "When we refuse to learn , we refuse to grow!".
I can't wait to see your pics, as I imagine it is similar to my snowshoe cradle.
       Enjoy Life
            Van
Avid outdoorsman? My son and I snowshoe and winter camp with a four season tent and no stove. When my daughter comes along we drag sleds holding the campfire style tent I made and my military style Yukon stove. We canoe and kayak long trips in the early spring till Thanksgiving. That's my son's and my last float of the canoe season as we celebrate his birthday.  My daughter more than my son loves climbing. My sore neck!
Along with the tent, I've made packs,paddles and the poor man's RV from an 18' boat trailer. It now carries our canoes, kayaks, mountain bikes, camping ger and the TeePee pole

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:01:37 am »
Impressive, as always. If you are comfortable with it, can you post some prices for your skis and snowshoes?

LL

Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline steambender

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • woodspirit
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 04:36:32 pm »
i think the appropriate way would be to PM me for pricing questions.

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 04:54:02 pm »
PM sent. Thanks.

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline KM

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 06:57:38 pm »
Awesome skis!

Re: skin material

Synthetic ski skin material is a lot like some velour car upholstery. The fibers are all oriented in one direction.

https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/index.html

might sell you fabric in the size you want.