View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Adult pulk for skiing and skating?  (Read 1770 times)

Offline JeffOYB

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Adult pulk for skiing and skating?
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:41:33 pm »
I was thinking of getting an ice-fishing plastic sled. Those 6-foot black barge things. Then screwing long skis to the bottom of it. Then attaching crossed conduit with heavy bungie thru it and a padded waist-belt.

Could a good skier pull an adult in a such a pulk?

One could glue foam pad into the bottom of the sled to make it nice. And install a Thermarest chair to give back support for the passenger.

Now, to get extra power and control, one could build a chair-like hand-hold scaffold in the back, like a dog-sled or spark-sled. Then a 3rd person could ride the tails of the skis and control the back of the sled, kicking along for added propulsion and PUSHING up any steep hills.

I was thinking that this kind of rig might work best on the ICE. I was out Nordic ice-skating a few weeks ago and thought I could just fly along with my skates and poles and pull a couple adults in a sled behind me. They could be nestled in blankets and enjoy the moonlight or something.

The capper might be if another padded waist-band was attached to the first by another heavy-duty bungie so you could have TWO skaters or skiers!

Mush mush!

(Would this work? Anyone try such a thing?)

Online kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
Re: Adult pulk for skiing and skating?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 09:12:26 am »
Hi,

Sure it would work, polar trekkers commonly pull loads exceeding that of a typical adult. Some use skis with skins, some don't. It is not what I would consider fun however. Don't expect to kick and glide.

On ice  or hard packed trails I would consider something called a kick-sled or "spark" in Norwegian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kicksled

These are a lot of fun and are widely used in Scandinavia. Great for tooling around a frozen lake or hard-packed trail. People use them on the streets in Norway but they don't salt the roads so much there. I have one that I brought back from Norway. You can also get ski runner attachments for softer snow but I have never tried those.

Regards,

Kinguq.

Offline JeffOYB

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Adult pulk for skiing and skating?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:25:52 pm »
So maybe put pulk-poles on the front of a spark and pull an adult with a skier or nordic ice-skater -- and have a kicker on the back! :) ...Just make sure the pulk-poles have strong connections.

Somehow we gotta get a rig that can allow for good kick'n'glide while pulling an adult. That would be neat. It's a cinch on ICE. But maybe a two-skier rig is needed for a snow-trail. Possible?

My idea was to simplify the spark concept by using a black ice-fishing sled as the base. Screwing skis to the bottom. Then bolting a "chair" handle-push-frame to the rear. ??

It would be best if the skis could be set normal track-width. But a spark might need wider spacing? It might be hard to kick between the skis of a normal track-width. ?