View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: How to Post Photos:  (Read 4760 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
How to Post Photos:
« on: January 29, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
To post photos in a Forum, you first need to upload them on a photo sharing website, e.g.  Photobucket or Picasa.   There are many others.  These are free to join and use, and there are many others on the Web.   (There is another way to post them on your own web space that you likely have from your ISP, and you use FTP software, but that's more complicated - we'll keep it simple for now). 

Once you have learned how to upload your photos on one of those photo-sharing websites, they will have instructions for allowing them to be shared.     

I will use the example for Photobucket.   Put your cursor on the photo that you have uploaded into Photobucket.   Four options for copying pop down.  One of them is called "IMG code".  This is pre-set to work on forums.  Simply click it and you will see a "copied" sign.  Then go to your draft post, right mouse click and "paste", and presto, the entire URL is there wrapped in the "IMG" tags.  Use the "preview" button to see if it worked.

If your image sharing website does not have the automatic IMG code option, then copy the full URL from the shared website location, paste into your post, then,....and this is really important:   highlight the URL, then click the IMG tag wrapper on the post's toolbar, which is an icon that looks like a postcard, beside the globe icon.   When you put your cursor on the postcard icon, the yellow info tag will say "insert image".   If your URL is highlighted, click the icon and it will be wrapped in the IMG tags.   Make sure there are no spaces.

You need to make sure you grabbed the entire URL from your photo sharing website.   This is should be easy since your camera or image software will already have named the file with a .jpg or .jpeg ending.  As long as this ending accompanies the photo URL, then it should appear as an image.  You can use the "preview" button to see if it worked, before posting it.   

Personally I pre-draft my photo posts in WORD, and paste the IMG tagged URL�s into the text.   When I am done in WORD, I highlight the entire text, copy it, then paste it into the posting box in the Forums.     

If you want to do it manually with un-tagged URL�s, you can highlight and wrap each URL in the draft forum post using the "insert image" button.   On my computer, once the post gets longer than the depth of the box, it tends to jump around (this is a software bug issue on many discussion forum software programs), so I find it easier to do all the composing in WORD first, then paste.  Tidy up spaces in the Forum text input box.   Don�t forget to use the "preview" button to see if the photo links worked.   If you see a red X, it means the URL code is not right.  Maybe there is an extra space in there, maybe a square bracket in the tags was missed, maybe the .jpg ending is missing.   Contact me using the PM if you have any trouble and we�ll sort it out.  We want to see your photos!

Reminder:  please keep your photos to a maximum width of 640.   That way the view will be full width in both thread view, and �most recent� view.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:07:59 PM by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline wildernesstony12

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: How to Post Photos:
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »
hello, mountain here also know as mountaintony but i like mountain, anyway just wondering if someone can tell me how to make my pictures smaller they are pretty big thanks  :-[     by the way on photobucket never did this so any help would be great.

Offline wildernesstony12

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »
just seeing if remember how to send pictures
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:38:45 PM by wildernesstony12 »

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:32:34 PM »
Trying again,,

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:38:32 PM by Haggis »
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »
Trying again,,

Nice collection Haggis!
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 06:09:11 AM »
Thanks you Hoop, and thank you for again explaining how to post photos,,,
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »
Directions for Posting Photos from Flickr.com

Flickr has made some changes that makes it much easier to post photos into forums like Wintertrekking.com, and especially easier to select what size photo you want.

From either your photostream or album, click on the image you would like to post.  At the bottom right of the photo there will be four icons. Click on the semi-curved arrow which is the “share photo” icon.  A window will open with boxes containing several of the popular social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc), and just below them will be three text options.  Click on BBCode, which will become blue underlined to show it is selected and the needed photo URL and IMG code will be highlighted in the box just below. Do not use the Grab Link function as it does not link to your actual photo.  If you like, you can choose from several different sized images in the option box just below the highlighted code (Hoop suggest 640 wide max).  With the desired image size showing, “copy” the highlighted link by pressing Command+C (or if you prefer use your mouse or browser top menu of Edit>Copy).  Return to your Wintertrekking.com draft post and press Command+V to “paste” and the code will appear in your draft post.  Use the Preview feature to see how your photo will look.

Note that Flickr adds on some code to provide a credit for your photo and to make the credit and image a link back to Flickr.  If you are happy with how your photo is displayed, you are done!  Go on to add more text or photos the same way and publish your post.  If you choose to, you can remove the photo credit and image hyperlink.  It’s not as hard as it first looks, and its entirely up to you. 

To remove the photo credit code:  If you do not want this to show on Wintertrekking.com, you can delete this portion of the code in your post.  To do this, highlight from the very end of the text where is says “on Flickr” all the way back to the [ url=http tag that comes before the photo name and delete it.  There are two places with [ url=http*, so starting from the end make sure you get to the second one in front of the photo name.  It will be nearly half of the code you just copied over, but that is ok.  See the image below.

To remove the hyperlink from the photo back to Flickr:  There is no need to do this, but if you would prefer not to have your photo on Wintertrekking.com link back to your Flickr photostream you can remove a little more code - basically highlight and delete everything before [ img] and after [ /img], as shown below.  Its not as hard as it seems. 

*I had to put a space between the [ and url to prevent the forum software from treating this like an html command instead of text.