View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: How to Post Photos:  (Read 4000 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
How to Post Photos:
« on: January 29, 2011, 12:12:20 pm »
To post photos in a Forum, you first need to upload them on a photo sharing website, e.g.  Photobucket or Picasa.   There are many others.  These are free to join and use, and there are many others on the Web.   (There is another way to post them on your own web space that you likely have from your ISP, and you use FTP software, but that's more complicated - we'll keep it simple for now). 

Once you have learned how to upload your photos on one of those photo-sharing websites, they will have instructions for allowing them to be shared.     

I will use the example for Photobucket.   Put your cursor on the photo that you have uploaded into Photobucket.   Four options for copying pop down.  One of them is called "IMG code".  This is pre-set to work on forums.  Simply click it and you will see a "copied" sign.  Then go to your draft post, right mouse click and "paste", and presto, the entire URL is there wrapped in the "IMG" tags.  Use the "preview" button to see if it worked.

If your image sharing website does not have the automatic IMG code option, then copy the full URL from the shared website location, paste into your post, then,....and this is really important:   highlight the URL, then click the IMG tag wrapper on the post's toolbar, which is an icon that looks like a postcard, beside the globe icon.   When you put your cursor on the postcard icon, the yellow info tag will say "insert image".   If your URL is highlighted, click the icon and it will be wrapped in the IMG tags.   Make sure there are no spaces.

You need to make sure you grabbed the entire URL from your photo sharing website.   This is should be easy since your camera or image software will already have named the file with a .jpg or .jpeg ending.  As long as this ending accompanies the photo URL, then it should appear as an image.  You can use the "preview" button to see if it worked, before posting it.   

Personally I pre-draft my photo posts in WORD, and paste the IMG tagged URL�s into the text.   When I am done in WORD, I highlight the entire text, copy it, then paste it into the posting box in the Forums.     

If you want to do it manually with un-tagged URL�s, you can highlight and wrap each URL in the draft forum post using the "insert image" button.   On my computer, once the post gets longer than the depth of the box, it tends to jump around (this is a software bug issue on many discussion forum software programs), so I find it easier to do all the composing in WORD first, then paste.  Tidy up spaces in the Forum text input box.   Don�t forget to use the "preview" button to see if the photo links worked.   If you see a red X, it means the URL code is not right.  Maybe there is an extra space in there, maybe a square bracket in the tags was missed, maybe the .jpg ending is missing.   Contact me using the PM if you have any trouble and we�ll sort it out.  We want to see your photos!

Reminder:  please keep your photos to a maximum width of 640.   That way the view will be full width in both thread view, and "most recent" view.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:08:44 pm by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
PHOTOBUCKET: All links are broken
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 10:30:53 pm »
Hi folks,
I was shocked to learn that all my shared photos, and everyone else's hosted by Photobucket, and linked to all web forums on the Internet, are broken.  Photobucket just decided as of July 1 that you need to pay $400 per year to upgrade your free account in order to permit 3rd part hosting.  All links are now broken until you pay.
Info here:  http://photobucket.com/plans/

The amount of work would be enormous to find a new free hosting website, transfer and upload all the same photo's, and then edit each forum post to copy-paste the new URL's with img tags into each thread post.  Part of me wants to pay the $400 annual fee to restore all my photo TR's, but the other part of me is furious. The Internet is full of discussions of "blackmail" by Photobucket.  I won't use that term, because I understand that they need to generate revenue, but $400!!!!  And for us Canucks, that is likely in USD, so multiply by 1.3.  Geesh!  That is unreasonable!   

Anyways, we will have to re-write the advice on this Forum for how to share photos.  Apparently there are other free photo sharing websites that provide 3rd party hosting to web forums.  Many of us will have free web hosting space to store photos and share onto websites with our email ISP's.  I have 100 megs basic plan with my email provider, but is almost maxed out with shared photos from years of web forums sharing, so I would have to upgrade to about $15 per month to get more web hosting space.
Any advice from the learned membership here is welcome! 

P.S.  With the new upgrades soon to come with the new web company I will hire, I will inquire about this website hosting photos. Have no idea what that will cost, but I will look into it and report back.

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: How to Post Photos:
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 11:12:15 pm »
I stoped using photobuket since I have a gmail account I can share photo using them... I was wondering what Canoetripping.net uses, cause we can just post picture straight up with them, so easy...

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 03:07:29 am »
Nope Blackmail pretty much covers it
Luckily I only had a couple of hundred pix there and they were not stored there on copied to the site.
Hoop you need to generate a bit of advertising revenue to pay for site storage here or charge a yearly membership subscription like BPL does
I'd be happy to pay $20- annually  although there are some who can't afford that I know and you need thousands of members
Unfortunately most people I know think camping in winter is insane

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 11:33:22 am »
I may be an old school dinosaur, but aside from the convolutions needed to post pics, I really don't see any issue with the look or feel of the entire site... in fact I like the look and feel of the entire site.  For me, it's the community, so the site is just a vehicle to access the membership and their thoughts and expertise.
What more can you ask of a forum?

Hoop, I well understand your frustration with the vetting process for new members, but that should be a fix, not a $$$ revamp of the site.  And there would be many of us who would be willing (able might be another story, but I speak only for myself... :'() to help out via email with that process.  A Board of members, to keep out the riff-raff, I suppose.

And Moondog has a point, if at some point you need to raise some money for changes or ongoing operations, I think you could reasonably expect most active members to kick in some money for a annual membership fee or one shot for the war chest.   Robin over at the CanoeTripping site has done that and most drives I believe have exceeded expectations and immediate needs.  Someone(s) donating a handmade 'treasure' always helps as well on that end as well. 

Just my thoughts, obviously there is much more behind the scenes going on that most of us have no idea of. 

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 03:07:48 pm »
The inability to easily upload photos to this site is about the only thing that frustrates me here. I would love to be able to upload directly.
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 10:13:25 pm »
Thanks for the feedback folks.  A new approach is definitely needed for the photo sharing.  When I get the web contractors hired and we start the changes, this is high on the list. 

For the upgrade here, my preference will be for free thread and photo viewing for everyone, and free photo sharing.  I think that is important not only to respect the member's hard work in obtaining the photos and posting the thread, but also for the outside world to find us on search engines and view cool content, and get interested and think of joining. Hopefully we can absorb the photo sharing costs with our hosting service (to be upgraded), buy we'll see.  I have to research the costs with the new web hosting company.  In the mean time, keep the ideas coming!

Also in the mean time I found a work-around that might work for you, if you can't find a free photo share website (there are some, I think Flicker is still free for 3rd part web sharing of photos?  I might try them soon).

Before I started using photo share websites, in the early days I shared photos from website storage space provided "free" as part of my Internet Service Provider's (ISP) basic email account.  With my ISP, they provide website storage space automatically when you sign up for an email account.  Something like 1 gig (its not actually free, its part of the basic package which I am paying for regardless - might as well use it).  I still have some capacity there, so tonight I just uploaded 4 more photos into it for a photo thread: "Cranberries are Ripe!").  It apparently still works.

The old method I used was I installed free FTP software from the web, which allowed me to send directly from my machine to the web storage.  Then copy-paste URL's from there, etc. Very cumbersome.  The new way is that my webmail page has a button called "website", and all my photos are still shared there, and I can still upload photos into it without FTP.  It's a simple upload box, browsing from my machine to upload into it.  However the photo link location when right mouse clicked on, now has a long "session" code syntax in it which changes as soon as its accessed again, and it breaks the link.  I long since lost that FTP software from previous old computers. But the front part of the URL from the FTP sharing method still works.

To make the sharable URL using my old FTP front end code, first I copy the location of the photo from my webmail website storage.  Then I paste that into a text file. It will have the session gibberish in it. Then I copy onto the front of the URL the old FTP link. http...etc.  Then I delete the middle session gibberish stuff. Then I keep the back end of the link location with the actual website folder name and photo.jpeg name, ensuring I have the proper fore slashes in there. Awkward at first, but once learned it's a quick URL fix and good to go.  It's a temporary work-around, not preferable. 

You can ask your ISP how the FTP share method might work for you.     

Once you test the URL in your draft thread post to see if it links, then wrap it as always with the IMG tags (highlight the URL then click the Mona Lisa "insert image" button, and it will wrap it properly).  Click the preview button to see if it works.

Hopefully your ISP might have similar "free" web storage? If not, they might sell space for reasonable cost?

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 07:59:32 pm »
I have my own web space, hosting in the UK was way cheaper than Canada, so am not too badly off for a space to store images though like HOOP says it lacks the convenience of something like Photobucket though not having to put up with the adds was a bonus!

One thing I would add is that unless you want somewhere to archive HQ images, by reducing everthing down to 600 by 400 before storage you can get a lot more photos for the same memory. I use Irfanview, it has a good batch resizing facility.

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline jwclever

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 12:16:33 am »
Just testing to see if I'm doing posting photos correctly using google photos:

Cheers,
Bill

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 07:53:27 pm »
The image below shows how to wrap the URL in image tags:
This means you already have shared the photo to a photo sharing website (e.g. Flickr, Imgur, etc).

First:  Paste in the URL location of your photo.  Make sure there is a ".jpg" ending to identify it as an image.
Second:  Highlight the URL.  That is the dark blue highlight you see below.
Third:  Click that Mona Lisa button!   That wraps it in the proper image "IMG" tags, and automatically takes care of the brackets and fore slash, no worries. 

That's it.  You are done.  Hit "preview" to see if it worked.  If it did not work, you pasted in the wrong URL. 

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 03:31:23 pm »
The image below shows how to wrap the URL in image tags:
This means you already have shared the photo to a photo sharing website (e.g. Flickr, Imgur, etc).

First:  Paste in the URL location of your photo.  Make sure there is a ".jpg" ending to identify it as an image.
Second:  Highlight the URL.  That is the dark blue highlight you see below.

It would no work for me until I hit copy here after highlighting. thank you chimpac

Third:  Click that Mona Lisa button!   That wraps it in the proper image "IMG" tags, and automatically takes care of the brackets and fore slash, no worries. 

That's it.  You are done.  Hit "preview" to see if it worked.  If it did not work, you pasted in the wrong URL. 

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:43:45 pm by chimpac »

Offline APPaul

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 04:03:37 pm »
Hoop, what is the possibility of getting the site setup so images are loaded directly to the site. I am pretty sure I already know your answer and that it would be expensive to host that amount of data. But just checking anyways.

Almost all forums suffer from link rot. Mostly with images when people close their image sharing accounts, move images out, change permissions etc... If only there was some way around it so this excellent site and camping resource has an enduring life span.

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 10:20:20 am »
If you just want to post up pics and you don't have an Imgur, Flikr or other photo hosting site account you can upload to tinypic.com and just copy the url and paste it right into your message and the pics will show up fine.