View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: What's best way to redo trails after blizzard?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline JeffOYB

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
What's best way to redo trails after blizzard?
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:04:26 am »
What's the minimum needed to get a homestyle ski trail back into shape after a blizzard?

3 snowshoe passes?

I'm talking: ski track plus firm poling.

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
Re: What's best way to redo trails after blizzard?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:13:43 pm »
I'm sorry I can't help here Jeff, I stay off the groomed trails for the most part. I enjoy breaking trails for my exercise and being on virgin when traveling back country. Unless out with a group!
       I do have some tracks through tight paths that I come back to fairly often, I just try to stay where I had my skiis before. The small amount of snow we've had here locally hasn't disturbed the paths that much.
       If you drag a sled, like mine which is wide, you could groom your path yourself and excercise at the same time.
        Happy Trails
              Van
Avid outdoorsman? My son and I snowshoe and winter camp with a four season tent and no stove. When my daughter comes along we drag sleds holding the campfire style tent I made and my military style Yukon stove. We canoe and kayak long trips in the early spring till Thanksgiving. That's my son's and my last float of the canoe season as we celebrate his birthday.  My daughter more than my son loves climbing. My sore neck!
Along with the tent, I've made packs,paddles and the poor man's RV from an 18' boat trailer. It now carries our canoes, kayaks, mountain bikes, camping ger and the TeePee pole

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 02:18:47 am »
Either ski on it, or two snowshoe passes.    But ski trails almost always blow in, so its an ongoing need to ski it.

On multi day travel treks we have used a "rest" day to punch in a snowshoe trail for ski-hauling sleds the following day.  So that's 2 passes, out and back on snowshoes.  Even if it snows and blows in during the day and night, the fact that it is packed is of enormous benefit for the next day.  But if it blows in deep, you may need skins on your skis to eliminate shear.    In my video "Solo sled hauling boreal lake 01"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI46_iRnGeQ , I mention that I am ski hauling on a blown in packed snowshoe and toboggan track.  It had 2 passes.    I needed skins on my skis for the grip to haul the sled in tough cold, sand papery conditions for sled sliding.   Without a load on a flat lake, I often don't need skins.    I have found that blown in snow has some sort of crystalline structure that reduces glide and adds drag on a sled. 
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline JeffOYB

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 06:58:24 pm »
Of course this kind of "grooming" sure isn't much!

I guess I like including some kind of firm poling area in my local trails that I ski on every day.

If I just ski a few times over a deep snow area I get good ski tracks -- but the poling stays crappy. So I'm wondering what's the easiest way to get the poling to be good.

I'm talking about real skiing not skiing that's like snowshoeing. :) I like lots of glide. It's singletrack skiing. Backwoods but on a trail. A homemade trail.

I'm thinking that 3 passes on skis would do it. One for the center and 2 times more to add each poling lane. Then one night to set up...

If it keeps blowing in... then rats. It's hard work keeping a good poling lane!

I like skiing the backwoods but I do it fast. Without a poling lane my poles sink in WAY far. Maybe carbon 160's would solve it. : ) ...That's my skating poles. But that would still really mess up my tempo, to stick those things in deep then haul back out once a second...