View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Lake Tahoe, Kirkwood, area of California  (Read 3013 times)

Offline hikerduane

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Lake Tahoe, Kirkwood, area of California
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:40:50 pm »
I heard on the news last week, that some of the ski areas around Lake Tahoe (#1 recreation destination in the USA) had received 7 feet of new snow last week.  A lady on a backpacking forum I belong too, posted a link to the Kirkwood Ski area, for this storm, they had received anywhere from 131" to 144" of fresh snow, and had something like 40' of snow on top now.  Wow!

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Lake Tahoe, Kirkwood, area of California
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:14:48 pm »
I cannot imagine that much snow!   It would destroy all lake travel for sure here - push the ice right into the water!    But I envy those folks having back country skiing into June!
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline hikerduane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 08:40:37 pm »
Here's a link to Kirkwood.  Yep, that much snow, compacted now of course.  Season total, 450".

http://www.kirkwood.com/site/mountain/snow-report/2011-2-22

Some of us are going north of there and just west of Lake Tahoe.  Before the last storm last week, there was no snow where we are going for an overnighter this weekend.

Offline hikerduane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:59:10 pm »
Click on Snow Report to the left on that link for the current info.  Wow, over 600" for the season now.

Offline hikerduane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:33:23 pm »
Three of us snowshoed in four miles into Dick's Lake in the Desolation Wilderness for a night.  It is about a two hour drive or less, north of Kirkwood.  Very little water available, we found water by a large boulder at Dick's and runnning water at Granite Lake where we stayed the second night.  Snow could be deeper, but from what I can see by looking in tree wells of large trees, looks to be up to 6' deep.  Last snow trip of the season, snowed a little on us both nights.

Duane