View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Central Northwestern Ontario getting slushy!  (Read 1677 times)

Offline sethwotten

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Water for Future Generations Expedition
Central Northwestern Ontario getting slushy!
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:29:37 pm »
I'm up in Eabamet Lake (aka Fort Hope or Eabametoong First Nation) near the Albany River. It was slushy here in December. January and February were fine. Now there is so much snow accumulation on the ice that the slush is starting to seep up again.

It's pretty rough trying to get around these days. There is so much snow here now that there is a depth of more than 2 feet of snow on top of the ice in most places. It's much deeper back in the bush. I've been sinking above my knees with my 12 x 48 snowshoes on.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Central Northwestern Ontario getting slushy!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »
Interesting that the slush is making a come-back   >:(    That's not fair! 

Up your way, many of the traditional winter travelways were through the bogs and fens to avoid the lake slush as mush as possible.  Many stories as well that people would need double days to travel - one day to pack a float out and back unloaded, then the next day to travel on it hauling sled.  Even if it blows in, its better traveling than breaking trail with a heavy sled.   Ski poles can help to probe and find the edge of the packed trail when its snowed/blown in.   

12 x 48 - too small when the snow is deep, and lakes are slushy.    I am only 150 lb's and still using my 16x48's as of last week, and there was a crust too on 2-3 feet deep snow.    The wider shoes will give you better floatation, especially when that evil slush is boring its way back.   Big 16 inch wide bearpaws will be nicer to use in the bush, but get them as long as possible.  

Would love to see some photos of your country around there!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 02:49:01 pm by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.