View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: BWCA Trip Info  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Heikki Lunta

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
BWCA Trip Info
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:26:00 am »
Hello to All
We were up in the Boundary Waters last week. Had a great time and would like to share some info.
We were in the Ely area and hooked up with Basswood Bob Dog sleds (www.basswood-bob.com) for a shuttle in.  We started at Moose Lake and camped on Ensign Lake. We snowshoed and skied in the area. We got down to Gibson falls, and up to Carp lake on the the border. Snow conditions were wonderful, and very little slush on the lakes. We were in for four nights and only saw one other camper, but no tracks anywhere we went.
We spend the night before and the night after at Smitty's (www.smittys-on-snowbank.com) They were very
gracious and accommodating, and they have great food right there at the lodge.

If any of you fisherman would like to get into Knife Lake or any of the Border lakes in that area for a Camping/Fishing trip, I don't think you can not do better than the Smitty's/Basswood Bob connection.
Basswood Bob knows where to find the best Lake Trout waters.

Best of luck to all of you, I hope all your trips go well

Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

Thanks
Bernie & Peggy

Offline Aarona

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: BWCA Trip Info
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:20:48 am »
What was the cost of the shuttle if you don't mind disclosing? How many people were hauled? Sounds like you had good fun.

Offline Heikki Lunta

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: BWCA Trip Info
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:37:21 am »
Hi Aarona
We went in with three sleds and three dog teams. We had all our stuff and two fisherman that were going up to Knife Lake for the day. When we came out Bob brought two sleds in to pick us up.
Bob charged us $450 for the shuttle.
It was a special treat and we loved the secluded spot where we camped. I go back there in my mind and remember the wonderful wilderness feelings we had.

Bernie