View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Altai skishoeing  (Read 17836 times)

Offline FreeHeelSkier

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Altai skishoeing
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2017, 10:23:54 pm »
 The Altai Ho'k with built in climbing skin is a special use ski; short and wide for decent floatation and very responsive turning ability. The longer 145 cm skis better due to more ski and same size climb skin built in. Climb skin has superior traction (better for "work" situations) compared to "no-wax" fishscale type skis such as the excellent Altai Ko'm 150 / 162 / 174 cm skis, but the fishscales ski much better! Depends on use / need / experience etc. (Climbing skins can be used on the Ko'ms!). None of these will compare to the stability of a good snowshoe! But if you love skiing, especially backcountry hills and mountains, these are GREAT!

Offline hopperdredgbill

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2017, 07:11:23 am »
WTF! I finally sprang for a pair of Hok's last year, and now they are coming out with a more "ski" version! Well that's gonna have to wait a bit until the stops asking why there is a big rack full of skis in he garage!

Offline lilcliffy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2017, 09:06:37 am »
Not sure if I understand...
How are they are they making a ski more of a ski?

Offline redoleary

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2017, 05:26:32 pm »
If I understand it correctly the Hok was/is a snowshoe/ski hybrid and the Kom is also a snowshoe/ski hybrid but with a greater lean to the ski part of the equation, thus making it more of a ski.

Offline lilcliffy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2017, 05:47:22 pm »
Oh- so you were speaking of the Kom?

Thought you were speaking of the updated version of the Hok (2016-2017 redesign of the 145cm Hok).

I have the older 145cm Hok, and the current 162cm Kom.

Been skiing on the 145cm Hok for 2 seasons.  Just bought the 162cm Kom.

I get the notion of the "ski-shoe" thing- but the Hok is a ski- a superb bushwacking ski.  If I had to eliminate my backcountry Nordic ski quiver and pick one ski for the Northwoods, it might have to be the Hok- despite the fact that they are finely tuned for fresh soft snow, and this "Chinese Hoax" keeps giving me icy refrozen snow more than it should!

Offline redoleary

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2017, 11:23:31 am »
I just assumed he was referring to the Kom.   I don’t know enough about what the Hok upgrade is to know if it’s focus was to make it a better skier.