View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Northwestern Ontario Update:  (Read 2681 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Northwestern Ontario Update:
« on: November 24, 2008, 12:00:16 am »
me and a buddy hiked into 2 small lakes close to Thunder Bay today, to check out the winter camping options for a close to home weekend option.  The snow was only an inch deep.

The ice was about 3-4 inches, and already covered in some slush pockets with a skiff of snow.  The slush was only a surface film, since the snow was only a skiff.   
Me and my buddy both broke through the ice in two separate incidents right at shore, but scrambled out before the water seeped into the boots. 

The ice is not safe right at the shore contact in some areas.  Either the land is still emanating heat, or there is enough surface seepage still occuring to keep the ice very thin.   Except for a week of cold snap, its been mild here so the ground is not yet really frozen deep.   I hate this mild weather.

We had some -20C weather last week, but its warmed back up again, to 0, so its not going to be an early winter here.    We need some really cold weather before the snow comes, to firm up that ice.   But man, do I even want to get cross country skiing again. 

I wish I lived further north where they get earlier, more dependable winters.
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
Re: Northwestern Ontario Update:
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:30:06 pm »
I seem to remember that you need 6 weeks of below freezing temps to make ice suitable for walking on. That being said, around here there's no ice suitable before Christmas, usually.

Hoop, I think we all would like to see a picture or two if any were taken??
Its always nice when you have a few to show.
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 07:33:54 pm »
I wish I lived further north where they get earlier, more dependable winters.

Going out this weekend with a mutual friend to begin setting up the semi-permanent winter base. We will likely do some ice-fishing as all but the largest of lakes are thick enough to walk on and most are good enough for snow-machines.Snow is deep enough for snow machines, but we could use more. The pond out back is 6 inches in the centre and no more slush. Time permitting we will shovel off the "rink" for some real time pond hockey this week.
Red Lake could use a guy like you. 20 minutes out of town and we are tripping.
Colder is better

Offline ontariobackpacker

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 01:39:43 am »
Nice!

I miss the train have not been on since 2006
SBouchard

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 12:30:33 am »
Today I was out on a the same small lake a short drive north of Thunder Bay, that I mentioned back on Nov 24, and it now has at least 6 inches of black ice - very safe.   No slush, as we have only an inch or 2 of snow.   We need more snow now for the first camping trip, but at least the lack of snow is good for making ice. 

Finally, today we have a MODIS cloud free image for southern NW Ontario, providing an oustanding view of the lakes.   Check it out:  http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=USA3.2008341.aqua.1km 

The zoom-in with the 250m resolution is very clear for many of the lakes I am familiar with.   What is amazing with the cold snap we have been having, is that we still have some ice-free lakes in the southern part of the Region.  Quetico and the Boundary Waters area still has alot of open water.

It would be nice if MODIS would post images further north, but they only provide us the zones overlapping with the US boundary.   Like Canada is chopped liver or something?   They provide daily images for much of the world, but most of Canada does not rate.   Maybe we start a letter writing campaign.   :(
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 06:11:37 pm »
Pretty much the same up here in Geraldton Hoop.  About six inches of ice, maybe three inches of snow.  Not enough to bother with snowshoes yet.  Really hoping that we get some good snow for the Christmas break, as I'm hoping to hot tent it for a couple of days.

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 08:06:18 pm »
Made a quick visit out to our base camp lake today and the snow continues to fall and accumulate. We have well over 30cms on the ground now. Our trail is getting well travelled so we could do it without snowshoes but why not. Kids tagged along on cross country skiis.

Lake had about 10cms on it so the ice won't be freezing as quick as the -30 temps would have you think. But it is still plenty thick enough to travel on. Sleds are traveling across REd Lake now no problems.

Winter is going full bore here in the Red Lake area....I love it!
Colder is better