View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Lake Superior and Moosonee conditions and traffic  (Read 3762 times)

Offline DMarrone

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
Lake Superior and Moosonee conditions and traffic
« on: November 18, 2011, 08:12:10 pm »
Ok, asking about two separate areas, so maybe this should be two posts, but I'll keep it as one to be a bit tidier as they are essentially the same question.

1) Can anyone provide some information regarding general ice conditions along the NE shore of Lake Superior?  Specifically along the Pukaskwa section of coast?  Ie. When does solid ice typically form?  Is the coast typically navigable on foot, etc?

And what about snowmobile traffic along Lake Superior coast?  How frequently would we expect to see snowmobiles?  weekly, Daily, 10x daily, etc?  Are there a lot of ice huts out on the lake?

2) Same thing goes for the Moose River, from Moose River crossing to Moosonee.  Typical ice conditions early Jan and mid-March?  Snowmobile traffic same times of year (early-Jan and again in mid-March)?  I'm a little bit worried that there would be a lot of traffic up river from Moosonee, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks very much,
Dave
Lure of the North
http://lureofthenorth.com

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine
Re: Lake Superior and Moosonee conditions and traffic
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 05:06:26 pm »
Hi Dave,

Can't really answer your questions however I've attached a link to a trip report from the old "bushwhacker" site of a snowshoe trip from Moose River Crossing to Moosonee.  I've been thinking of this trip myself.   At the end there is an email address I believe is still working.

Cheers,
Ken
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....

Offline jedi jeffi

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 10:14:41 pm »
Never been there in the winter  (Lake Superior ) but I would think ice conditions along the shore would be in the very hazardous range at the best of times.
this site may help you.
http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/
You should be able to get some past winter images of that area.
The Park people may be able to help you out whether the Park trail is doable in the winter.
Jeff

Offline DMarrone

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:07:17 am »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Ken, I've seen this report many years ago, great to read through it again, thanks!  It in itself answers my major question about the Moose... not too concerned about ice, and more about traffic, but those two seem to have only seen one person...

Jeff, good call, I will contact the parks folks and see what they have to say.  More interested in walking on the lake than the trail, but as you mention, ice conditions might be suspect... I'll see what I can find out. 
Lure of the North

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 08:12:49 am »
I don't think Superior really freezes that well with the milder winters we have. One thing you could check out is the Ont. Federation of Snowmobile Clubs. They have interactive maps but I don't recall any trails running that shoreline.

Very few snowmobiles on the moose river. The real problem for them is the amount of gas it takes to go to Moosenee. There is a tour guide that offers trips for snowmobiles but this would be on weekends. Most people on snowmobiles don't do the run themselves due to ice conditions and the gas issue.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline DMarrone

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 08:25:42 am »
Thanks again, great suggestions re: where to research Superior ice conditions.  This has fallen a little ways back on my priority list right now with a few other pressing things, but I do plan to follow up on this.  Ontario parks, the satellite system and snowmobile clubs all seem like great sources to check.  As far as traffic on the Moose R., I was more concerned with local traffic coming up river from Moosonee, rather than through-traffic coming down from Mattice.  A few years back I spent 17 days snowshoeing from Mattice to Moose R. crossing and didn't see any tracks the whole way down... but when we pulled out at Moose R. crossing we were beginning to think we'd see a lot more traffic if we continued north.  Anyways, I'm beginning to sense that's not the case, certainly not enough to make it an unappealing trip I would think anyways...

Lure of the North

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 12:46:55 pm »
Years ago when temps were much colder the winter carnival in Matice did a one day run to Moosonee on the river. This hasn't happened for years. There is a trail which runs close to the river and goes about 35 miles. The only one I have ever seen on it was a trapper on a snowmobile. (we were on snowmoblies) Two years ago they put a winter road in from Moosonee to I think it was Smith Falls or somewhere close. So most of the traffic stuck to that. Most of the people in Moosonee who have snowmoblies head out for fishing or trapping as aposed to touring. Keep us posted on your trip if you decide to do one of them. There is also a satelite link to watch the ice formation. That way you can watch Superior to see if it is forming and how far out from the bays. I can try to find it for you if you'd like.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 06:23:05 pm »

I tried to edit but I failed..........hmmmm

So I'll try again.  Canadian Ice Service    www.ec.gc.ca/glaces-ice

Cheers
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....

Offline DMarrone

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 06:30:30 pm »
Ha, thanks.  I'd already managed to search through the site and find the page.  It looks excellent and is now bookmarked.  As of May 16, no ice on Lake Superior... will have to check back again a little later in the season I think  :P
Lure of the North

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 10:12:51 pm »
Here is the one I use. I pick lake Ontario and it gives me a view of Lake Simcoe as well. I can tell when the edges start froming ice and the shallow bays freeze before the ice reports start.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/region_map.html

RR
Time waits for no one!