View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter Blanket Descends South:  (Read 2185 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Winter Blanket Descends South:
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:36:54 pm »
In my neck of the woods in southern northwestern Ontario, there was a spectacular clear MODIS image for today.  It shows the blanket of winter white descending south into the Boundary Waters, a good chunk of the USA Midwest.

For a hi rez zoomed in image, click link below, and look for the 250m resolution option.  You can check your favourite lakes in the area to see how it is progressing for ice.  For my friends in northern Minnesota, when you zoom in you get an excellent view of the big fire patch you had in the north of the State near the Ontario border late summer – the snow really shows up well in it. 

http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?subset=USA3.2011333.terra.1km

If you are not familiar with MODIS, here is the page to look for your area in North America.  If you click on the "subsets" hot links you can find even more tiles with imagery.
http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?area=na

For our friends around the world, you can click here for the subsets for the Planet:
http://lance.nasa.gov/imagery/rapid-response/subsets/

Bring on the cold and snow!

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline watatic

• Warming Up
  • New winter camper
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Blanket Descends South:
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 03:50:44 pm »
HOOP, I have a southerner's (New England) question. When I look at Google satellite photos of Canada, there's always big swaths here and there of orange color amid the green and gray and blue. What are those-- forest fires? tundra vegetation? autumn leaves?
"It is a pleasure to the real lover of Nature to give winter all the glory he can, for summer will make its own way, and speak its own praises." Dorothy Wordsworth, 1802

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 08:35:12 am »
I'm not exactly sure what sections you are looking at, but I know that where I live we get a fair number of forest fires, and the trees in that area tend to go a brownish/orange colour when they die. So long as you aren't looking at downtown Toronto, that is probably what you're seeing.

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 11:58:08 am »
Hoop,
We're still waiting! Very slow moving blanket.
Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline whitemtskier

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 12:22:36 pm »
HOOP, I have a southerner's (New England) question. When I look at Google satellite photos of Canada, there's always big swaths here and there of orange color amid the green and gray and blue. What are those-- forest fires? tundra vegetation? autumn leaves?

You see it here too. Not all images are taken at the same time that are displayed on Google Earth. They update some areas more often than others .

If there are cleared areas on the satellite view they look brown in the fall..So do hardwood forests. That contrasts with the evergreens.