View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Anyone in Ontario make their own HDPE toboggan? Where to find material.  (Read 15939 times)

Offline Misfit

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
I've just been looking into a toboggan or sled for hauling camping gear and was wondering if anyone in the Ontario area has found a place to buy the plastic from, and made their own toboggan and also the difficulty of making it.  I'm trying to save a few bucks so i'm interested in making my own.

Online Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
Re: Anyone in Ontario make their own HDPE toboggan? Where to find material.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 08:00:22 am »
Misfit, I just ordered 3 blanks of 10' x 3' UHMWPE and will begin ripping blanks when it comes in. Let me know if you want 1 and we'll figure something out.

Offline lookinnorth

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:18:49 am »
Not sure what part of Ont. your in but I get mine from "Piedmont Plastics" 

http://www.piedmontplastics.com/products/engineering-solutions/uhmw-pe-%E2%80%93-ultra-high-molecular-weight-polyethylene-%E2%80%93-tivar,-polystone.aspx

Personally I find umwpe plastic a little easier to work with then hdpe, uhmwpe seem to be a little more flexable and doesn't require any heat to make the front curl.

This is from Grey co products talking about the two plastics, http://www.greycoproducts.com/uhmw-sheets/

UHMWPE

UHMW, or Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight Polyethylene (also known as (UHMWPE) is manufactured by the world leader in the industry, Quadrant EPP, is superior ultra high molecular weight sheet that is extremely tough as well as incredibly abrasion resistant. With very low co-efficient of friction, this material is best used in rough duty applications. As with most plastics, care must be taken when machining to ensure dimensional stability is maintained. Typical applications include; most wear applications, hopper liners, bearings, bushings, pipe saddles, conveyor guides and numerous others. Various modified forms are also used to broaden the scope of applications 

UHMW is the slipperiest plastic
anywhere in the market. That’s
what makes it the material of
choice for applications like truck
liners, dry slides and chutes.
Calculate the cost savings by
using UHMW to replace rollers,
bearings and other mechanical
forms of material transit.

HDPE

HDPE (High-density polyethylene) is the most common plastic sheet on the market. It is also very durable in the harsh northern Canadian climate. HDPE is available with very high UV protection to withstand many years in direct sunlight. This type of sheet is commonly known as puck board, and is used in applications like automotive racking, general commercial manufacturing, food industry, fishing industry, marine applications, home and garden, transportation, agricultural stabling and buildings. King Star Board or Boar Board is also an HDPE product, which is of even higher quality. HDPE sheets are available in many different colors, thicknesses and sheet sizes.

There is a difference ;)

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 09:31:32 am »
When working with either UHMWPE or HDPE is the plastic flexible enough to get the curve in the front simply by tying it down, or do you need to heat it to bend it?

Offline sethwotten

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Water for Future Generations Expedition
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 11:28:31 am »
I've never done it, but I think that you will need to apply heat. Check out these posts that Hoop made last year on building his own toboggan......

http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=1229.0
http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=1232.0
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:26:48 am by HOOP »

Offline Scott

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:06:34 pm »
I made my own UHMWPE toboggan and also an HDPE toboggan kit from Black River Sleds.  The UHMWPE sled definitely slides better - I've tested them side by side on many trips over the last 4 winters.  I'd suggest getting UHMWPE if you can.  By a big sheet and make two sleds and sell the third blank or buy that blank from Harlan.  I used red oak for the crossbars, part of old dresser for the lip curl, and did not need to heat the curl that much.  I assembled it in a buddy's shop and placed the plastic in front of his woodstove for an hour and it bent into position with no problems.  You need to get a countersink bit for the stainless steel screws that are inserted into the crossbars from the bottom.  As for tapering the sled, that's up to you.  I tapered mine and the Black River sled came pre cut and tapered.  I'm not convinced it makes that much of a difference.  On a rigid wood sled it would help out but on the flexible plastic ones it's not that noticeable - they snake along in your snow shoe trail easily. 

Here's some old pics from my previous house when i made it.

And here's a pic loaded up how I use it now (CDN army hoochie and conover bag on top)

If you go ahead let us know, lots of lessons learned on here about assembly and we can provide some tips and timesavers. 

Offline lookinnorth

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »
Of the three uhmwpe toboggans I've made I used a heat gun on the first one and didn't really need it, on the advice of other toboggan builders I built the next two and didn't need any heat to make the front curl but then I haven't bent them back much more then 90 degrees, (all are 1/4" uhmwpe) uhmwpe has memory, that is, if you bend it into a curl and don't secure it, it will eventually return to or near to its original position, in the case of a toboggan, flat. HDPE/puckboard or at least what I know as hdpe is a lot stiffer then uhmwpe and although I've never done anything with it other then use it to make a bed for our chop saws, it is my understanding that heat is needed when making the curl. For me, UHMWPE is the way to go, white uhmwpe is sometimes called virgin and has no or very little uv protection but the black recycled (tivar?) is priced a little cheaper.

its not all about work :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:26:10 pm by lookinnorth »

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 12:14:14 pm »
I'm in the process of ordering a tent/stove, so I'll need a good toboggan. I like making things myself, so this might be a good project. Not sure whether it would be better to start from a blank or use a kit though. I'll have to give it some thought.

Offline Scott

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 12:21:50 pm »
I'm in the process of ordering a tent/stove, so I'll need a good toboggan. I like making things myself, so this might be a good project. Not sure whether it would be better to start from a blank or use a kit though. I'll have to give it some thought.

As mentioned above, I've done both.  Making my own was cheaper, more rewarding but took longer.  The kit was a bit more expensive but simple to assemble.  Black River includes good instructions with the kits. 

Offline kie

• Vendor - Supporter
    • View Profile
    • www.lureofthenorth.com
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 01:45:36 pm »
Hi Misfit,

Joining the conversation late, but I made 3 toboggans last year from HPDE and am probably making another 3 or 6 this year for guiding use.  Perhaps upgrading to UHWM-PE, but still considering as it is twice the cost...

Anyways, I picked up the HPDE at Johnston Industrial Plastics in TO.  http://www.johnstonplastics.com/mech_hdp.htm
Cost was ~$130 (before tax and cutting) for a 48" x 120" x 1/4" sheet.  They ripped it into 1/3s for me for $15, leaving me with the 3 blanks practically ready to be outfitted (after a bit of rough tapering).  Available there in both natural and black (UV protection). 

Very, very easy process.  As Scott mentioned, get a countersink bit for the s.s. screws from the bottom.  Buy the screws from Brafasco or Fastenal, etc and you will save a bundle over regular hardware stores.  Don't know what part of ON you're in, but I bought the ash in Belleville-area and that was also a lot less than I found it for here in Sudbury. 

Good luck,
Dave

PS. Scott, that's a great looking headboard, I'll have my eyes peeled for something similar next time I'm doing the thrift-store circuit!

There isn't a place I'd rather be.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 04:28:12 pm »
I'm really liking the looks of these toboggans. I use this material for runners of some of my larger toboggans. My old neighbour was able to bring some cut offs home for me 6'x2".  I'll have to check what one pc would cost.

I like the way the pail fits under the front curve.

So i would be interested if someone is buying a sheet and needs to split a sheet three ways. I'm in the Barrie area.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Malek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 05:46:58 pm »
Also late joining in here.
Got my plastic at this location:

Plastruct Canada
4305 Spring Creek Rd RR 1, Vineland, ON L0R 2C0
(905) 563-4000

They had some of everything when I was there last.
Got a 1/3 sheet of white UHMWPE and have never looked back.

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 06:19:32 pm »
Look up plastic suppliers or plastic in the yellow pages of any large city. I got mine in London.

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 12:42:17 pm »
Hey harlan,

Mind if I ask how much those blanks cost ? I presume they have other sized sheets as well ?

thanks,

BB

Offline thunderbox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 01:37:06 pm »
I bought my sheet here , they will rip a 4x10 sheet down to 3 equal sizes for a small charge

http://www.polyzone.com/

It's located in Vineland Ont