View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Minnesota Snow  (Read 10877 times)

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Minnesota Snow
« on: December 19, 2011, 09:16:36 am »
Hello fellow winter travelers. The lack of snow in Minnesota has got me biting my nails. We have a large trip planned for the second week in Jan. in the Isabella area. Does anyone have a report on the snow conditions in that area? The ice looks like it is shaping up well, but I do not have a good idea on snow depth, if any. Thanks in advance.

Wishing for snow,

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Minnesota Snow
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:18:32 am »
Don't get me started on the snow situation as Winnipeg is experiencing a drought to on the bright side the river and lake ice should form nice and thick LOL might have to move further north LOL.Grizz.

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:32:01 am »
There's nothing better here in central NYS either.  All we've got is wind and warming temps.  It's supposed to be in the mid 40s tomorrow with rain in the forecast as well for later in the week.  In other words, YUCK!  :'(

Until next time...Be well.

snapper

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:30:41 am »
Grizz, the snow in northern manitoba is really good at the moment. We have about a foot of snow in most spots, and I'm pretty sure the lakes are getting close to a foot of ice. Absolutely gorgeous.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 09:46:14 am »
Great Ill be right over just have to stow away on a calm air flight LOL.

Offline BST

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 09:56:24 am »
not the area your after but seems to be all across the north right now, montana snow conditions arnt that great either.  this time last year we had3-4 feet in the mountains  by now.  lake ice is just getting started for ice fishing in some places and still open water in others, when i came out on sunday there was maybe a good foot of slushy snow was easier walking booted than in snow shoes
YMOS, BST

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:48:19 pm »
I read a bunch of weather/climate blogs and commentaries and they are saying the same type of high pressure system that was parked over Greenland last year, and brought us the copious snow and cold early and often last season, is directly over us right now. That is why Kansas City will have a white Christmas. It is supposed to move away around the first week of January, but then again, it wasn't supposed to last this long, or originally, even be here! I am already probably missing out on the first dogsled race of the season. Skiing and snowshoe events are in jeopardy, too.

Where is the emoticon for "bummed"?

Bummed,
Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline DBW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 08:45:21 am »
Sawbill Outfitters is reporting excellent travel conditions on the lakes in their area; solid ice, no slush, and just enough snow for skiing.

Offline snowdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:11:58 am »
Snow conditions in the Ely area are rather poor.  Indeed, if one is strictly traveling on ice, then one is in good (great) shape, however, portage trails aren't very good.  The low amount of snow on the ground means there are plenty of bare rocks to drag your toboggan/pulk over.  We skied the first half of the 4 mile portage from Fall Lake out towards Basswood this past Sunday and it was okay...on skis.  I would have winced in spots if I had my toboggan along.  It was a warm day and snow on the ice was sticky but there's only an inch or two on the ice.  Dogsledders are using that route now and I saw signs of a little bit of dogsledding on the Moose Lake chain.  Folks are pulling small sleds down the Wood Lake portage.

Offline Soledad

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 11:25:40 am »
I haven't had a chance to get my portable fish house out of storage (grandma's farm) so no fishing, skiing, snowshoeing, trekking etc.  This is how people get Seasonal Affective Disorder I think. :)
I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about this winter, but it is tough!  I am able to spend a lot of time in my garage because of the warm temps.
We are going to have a brown xmas and there is no fun in that. 

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 05:35:45 pm »
Every morning I check five different weather sources, plus what I might watch on TV, with long-range forecasts from 5 to 15 days. My long range forecasts are starting to hint at colder with significant snow starting on January 1st. Here's hoping!

Merry Christmas!
Hans

Offline Soledad

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »
Here's to 2011 going out like a lamb and 2012 coming in like a staving angry lion!

Offline sethwotten

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Water for Future Generations Expedition
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 01:22:19 am »
There is some good snow up in Fort Hope, Ontario (where I live), but I'm visiting NY state right now. No Snow here!

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 11:56:47 am »
Every morning I check five different weather sources, plus what I might watch on TV, with long-range forecasts from 5 to 15 days. My long range forecasts are starting to hint at colder with significant snow starting on January 1st. Here's hoping!

Merry Christmas!
Hans

They lied.

Hans

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 02:06:43 pm »
Wearing my mukluks and using my Bushwackers for the first time this year uh, season. (It's only January 2nd. Of course it's the first time this YEAR!)

Happy Gnu Year!
Hans