View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Minnesota Snow  (Read 9044 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Minnesota Snow
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »
Need photos!  :)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Need photos!  :)

You're lucky. My camera bagged on me, despite replacing the batteries at the start of the jaunt, but my cell phone saved the day. Now, how do I load/post directly to the forum?

Also, does the site have a gallery page(s)?

Think MORE snow!
Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »
I am thinking more snow (snow snow snow)!  Geez, we could use some more too. 

No the site does not have a gallery (we are cheap for bandwidth).  Instead you can host your photos and make a link uisng a free photo hosting site (e.g.  Photobucket).

I posted a how-to here:  http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=1320.0

Let me know in a PM if you have any problems and I can walk you though it.     

HOOP

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »
Okay. I was just hoping it would be a 1-step process this year.

Here you go, from my Samsung Jack cell phone camera:

All taken at Wayside Prairie County Park, Isanti, MN, Jan. 2, 2012

Hans

Offline Heikki Lunta

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »
I don't have pictures to share yet but my wife and I spent the New Years weekend out in Vilas County in northern Wisconsin. The weather forecast at first was for rain mixed with snow, but it changed to all snow, so
we went ahead as planned.
We were all set up and enjoying listening to Praire Home Companion on Saturday night and our special New
Years eve meal with champagne, when we heard the news, Winter Storm Warning, The best news a Winter
Trekker can get. We switched channels to our weather repeater from the NOAA. They said the magic words
Significant Widespread Lake Effect Snow, 40 MPH gusts, Blowing and drifting snow, 8" to 12" snowfall.
We were so happy the tent could hardly hold us down. We got about 5" overnight and the next day it was
snowing all day, somtimes a whiteout, You just can't beat "lake Effect" from the Great Lake, Superior.
We got 12" by the time it was over midday Monday when we pulled out.
We will remember this New Years for a long long time.

We hope this is just the start........................bring it on................We love winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bernie & Peggy 

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 10:10:58 PM »
Hi TrailPatrol,
Good to see you are into some snow.  Are those new Track skis or oldies?

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »
Very old. Last of the Bushwackers before Karhu shut down and absorbed the line. The Karhu 10th Mtn. Tour and Orion took over those spots. Then the 10th became a "tele-touring" ski. They all vanished when Karhu was bought up by Madhuis/K-2. Now Karhu is selling "forest skis" in Europe again, (The Jakt and Era) but it will be at least 2 years until we see them over here.  :(

Hans

Offline misterpatrick

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 02:13:57 PM »
Just got back from a weekend in the BWCA off the Sawbill Trail. Put in on Sawbill and over to Smoke. Plenty of snow, solid ice with very little slush. Portage trail is once again clear with fallen logs being converted to firewood.

Offline redneckdan

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 07:19:10 AM »
Sitting at about 6" of snow here on the iron range with the ice forming rapidly. Was a balmy -2F this morning at the homestead. I wore the doubled stuffed stegers and the goose parka to work this morning. Got some weird looks at da mine but hey, I was warm.  ;D

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »
Got a nice cover of about 6" in Duluth as well.  3 degrees (F) this morning and making ice fast.  Camping season has finally arrived.  (how do you get those smiley faces into the message?)

-SW
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline redneckdan

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 02:22:06 PM »
Trade Secret..... :P

Actually, look right above the text box where you type your message. There will be a line up of about a dozen smileys to choose from.

Offline TuscaroraBorealis

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 08:03:23 PM »
Here's to 2011 going out like a lamb and 2012 coming in like a staving angry lion!

AMEN!