View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter fashion trend  (Read 6018 times)

Offline brandon01

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Winter fashion trend
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:20:32 pm »
Hi,
What is the new fashion trend for this winter? Share some ideas here please.
I am also looking for some good trendy hats for my son. Can u give some website urls for that?

Thanks

Offline Oldand Fat

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Winter fashion trend
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:35:32 pm »
Would be a help if I knew the age of your son. Ours would kill me for giving them this hat BUT it might be what your looking for.
Stay safe
OAF
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627394&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302734935&bmUID=1228008622912

If the above doesn't work try: http://www.mec.ca
and just have a look around.
oaf
“ We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.” Stephen Hawking. 1942 - 2018

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 11:02:06 pm »
Fashion? Trends?

I'm pretty sure you've got the wrong forum.
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:01:35 pm »
(I posted this on the old site - before I knew the new site here was active     ;D )

Hi Brandon01,

Welcome to the best winter trekking forum on the Web.  We are very close to launching our full website (within the week I hope), which will have a detailed section on winter clothing.  It will be all about functional and very cool, ...er..warm.... and breathable winter trekking, "fashion" and definitely not urban!.   If you search through the "Trip Report" forums on this site, you will see some gear in action.   Modern polyester wicking long underwear, heavy wool pants, fleece tops and tight weave wool tops without any nylon shell, allow for venting of steam.   The best outer shells are more dense wool, or cotton anoraks which you can buy from Empire Canvas, army surplus, or make your own, but its hard to find the light tight weave fabric.  Hats are loose fitting toques often doubled up, or with balaclava underneath, or mad trapper style fur hats. 

Insulated parkas with nylon and gortex shells or linings are good for the city, and sitting around an ice fishing hole, but you will cook when trekking in the bush.  Use breathable layers and you will be very trekking fashionable!     (And will likely look "urban ugly", but we like that here!   :D )
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 09:32:04 am »
Lastest fashion trend........

Now here is a model coming down the runway
look at the nice Codet wool pants oh and look there he/she is wearing a beautiful wool shirt with a fur trimmed anorak over top and the mad trapper hat is a nice finishing touch!!!

Ok kidding aside I have to think back to a old trapper that lived near me when I was a wee little lad. He always said(in regards to clothing) Your not here to make a fashion statement you here to work and survive the cold. 
As Hoop said so many cloths that are now produced just don't work for the tough conditions of winter camps. It takes a bit of looking around but you can find items that people here talk about (anorak wool pants ect) and yes some of it is pricey , hmm much like a lot of "modern" clothing but it is worth the money.  Read trip reports talk to fellow members here and do not be afraid to ask questions.

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 09:59:32 am »
Har,

I found this thread on a whimsical search of 'Fashion'.

My stated belief is that the day I see our clothes in fashion magazines because they look 'cool', I'm taking a bath with my toaster.

Kevin.
Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967

www.empirecanvasworks.com

Offline mikemxyzzy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 10:24:30 am »
Kevin,

Put that toaster down and get away from the tub!

Current outdoor fashion is derived from mountaineering. Mountaineering had Sir Edmund Hillary on Everest followed by many other mountaineering exploits that made it a cutting edge extreme activity that people wanted to associate with. It seems that there needs to be an element of "extreme" or competition (or both) for it to be something people want to associate with by copying the clothing.

Walking through the snow covered forest and relaxing in a heated tent don't have those elements, so I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:56:11 pm »
Two words:

Mukluk trend.

It already happened once. If I see 'Anorak's Hot This Summer" I'll know to worry.

Kevin.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:49:03 pm by Kevinkinney »

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 05:14:34 pm »
Har,

I found this thread on a whimsical search of 'Fashion'.

My stated belief is that the day I see our clothes in fashion magazines because they look 'cool', I'm taking a bath with my toaster.

Kevin.

You mean to tell me I have been busting my butt to be the "Empire fashion plate/trend-setter" all winter for no good reason? ??? I'm crushed. I'm wounded. I'm lost.  :'(

That being said, remember the "mountain parka"? I still have and wear mine!

Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 09:28:25 pm »
New trends-Eddie Bauer is bringing out a line of "real" outdoor gear after years of being the Gap of outdoor clothing.  Ed Viesturs and Peter Whitaker are part of the design team so we'll see what they think people will buy.

I think TNF (The North Face) is largely responsible for the "outdoor clothes as a fashion statement" trend.  Believe it or not, there is a huge TNF retail store in Beverly Hills on Beverly Drive, a couple of blocks from the famous Rodeo Drive.  I've been in it a couple of times.

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 10:29:58 pm »
No no no,

TNF has the most brilliant marketing strategy in history. Their goal is to place one dealer within 1 statute mile of any college campus.

Kevin- who has a Holubar jacket from his uncle. I've been watching that long.

Offline steven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 07:33:38 am »
http://www.getahaton.com/Winter_Hats_s/70.htm
http://www.bizrate.com/menshats/products__keyword--trendy+hats.html

here comes what you asked for.. shop well and hope your son will like your selection... 

Offline phat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 08:30:45 pm »
Two words:

Mukluk trend.

It already happened once. If I see 'Anorak's Hot This Summer" I'll know to worry.

Kevin.

No, looks like that fad was soooo 2007..

http://www.fabsugar.com/182432

Shudder...  Don't think my anorak makes me look like that..