View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Video: Ski Hauling a Toboggan on Lake Ice  (Read 1697 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Video: Ski Hauling a Toboggan on Lake Ice
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:14:42 am »
Ski hauling a toboggan on lake ice.  I show the harness position, and other equipment.  I did not need climbing skins on the skis this day, but sometimes I use kicker skins when the snow is deep and it shears without the kicker skin grip.  Harness ropes are adjusted for length with a bowline knot.  You can easily undo a bowline, even when its frozen.  I use ski boots and Voile Mountaineer bindings, but another good way to haul is using Berwin bindings and mukluks.  With Berwins and mukluks you don't have to change footwear.  Skis are Karhu Orions.  Boots are full leather Garmont Tours. 

http://youtu.be/tX5C9VT5--0
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Video: Ski Hauling a Toboggan on Lake Ice
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:24:48 pm »
Hey there hoop do you have a pic of the berwin bindings I was looking for bindings to use with my muks i suck at skiing had a real bad experience once with some borrowed kit long story short tore of the toe section and had to walk back 5 k to truck in wool socks in -30 now toes get cold easy if to cramped in ski boots or ice/mountaineering boots LOL this sounds like a good alternitive Thanks Grizz.

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
Re: Video: Ski Hauling a Toboggan on Lake Ice
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:50:31 am »
I use skis and snowshoes and often just wear my ski boots while snowshoeing. I never switch boots. Works fine for me.

Kinguq