View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: VIDEO: Pike on Ice! - on my 4-day solo, mid winter 2012  (Read 3023 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
VIDEO: Pike on Ice! - on my 4-day solo, mid winter 2012
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:06:14 PM »
Ice fishing for northern pike (jackfish) on my 4-day mid winter solo trip. No big lunkers, just some little eaters. Pike is often thrown back because its so bony, but it is one of THE best eating fresh water fish around here....if you can clean out the Y bones.  It's a time consuming fillet process, but worth it.  The weather warmed up (too warm around 0C), so cleaning on the ice was not a problem of freezing hands.  I don't show the laborious cleaning process, but I do show the results in the fry pan.  Mmmm pike.   :)

http://youtu.be/v7lfa8_bKso
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: VIDEO: Pike on Ice! - on my 4-day solo, mid winter 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:19:43 PM »
you gotta love pike in Ontario that is what I go for when at the lake Willard and link lake have great fishing even laker's was hoping to go this winter but not going to happen poo looks like you were using spoons lookd productive. I really need to finish the chissel lol cheers Grizz.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »
looks like you were using spoons looked productive.

Tipped with a dead frozen minnow!   Without the minnow I can't catch them.  Dead frozen are easy to carry for winter camping.

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
Always nice to have a lake to yourself. I love fishing the back lakes. Fishing can be tough some days but Your always rewarded by the view.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline fisherman

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »
Nice pike HOOP.
I recently iced my first winter pike. I agree they are def very tasty.
Now, if i could only get some of those pickerel. :(

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 07:54:59 PM »
That's a nice looking pike!  The bigger they are, the easier they are to clean. 

Ya I wish I could lock into some pickerel.  So far this winter I have camped on a pike lake, and a lake trout lake and done well on both.  But no pickerel for me.