View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Back Country Skis!  (Read 4013 times)

Offline yogadevo

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Back Country Skis!
« on: March 11, 2012, 08:04:58 pm »
I bent up some skis! These are ash and remarkably light. They have rubber bindings made out of feed buckets from fleet farm. I can't take credit for that idea, but I cut them out on the band saw and they work great with mukluks! I hot waxed them with a candle and I think climbing skins will work well hauling in some conditions.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:18:32 pm by yogadevo »

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
Re: Back Country Skis!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:32:07 pm »
You have a picture of those skis?  I am interested in making a pair of ash or birch back country skis some day.

"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline yogadevo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:29:19 pm »
https://picasaweb.google.com/115348810286255591641/WinterCampingSymposium#5718790422033156354
Here is a link to the photo. I can't remember how to post photos  :-\

Offline Mike B.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:24:17 am »
Hi Yogadevo,
Can you show a close up on those bindings?  I have broken the last pair of Berwin bindings that I ever want to pay for.

Thanks,
Mike B.
"You can pay me when you see me again Josie Wales"

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:54:18 am »
Ha, those skis look real familiar. Did you happen to have them at the Winter Camping Rendezvous at Sawmill Lake this winter? I saw them there sticking in the snow. 

I too have broken Berwin Bindings on a pair of old Trak Bushwhackers.  I am not about to buy new bindings at $100. A closeup of them would be appreciated.  What material did you used to make them?

-SL 
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline yogadevo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 06:14:00 pm »
Here is the link to the close up of the binding.
https://picasaweb.google.com/115348810286255591641/WinterCampingSymposium#5719507334838796082
I was not at the rondevu but my friend with similar skis was. He is shy and had to shun the paparazzi at the event. The posting is left to me.

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 07:37:04 pm »
Thanks for the binding photo. Looks like it should work good.  I was wondering what material they are cut from?

-SW

Offline yogadevo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 11:23:55 pm »
Feeding buckets from the farm store. Thick rubber

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 10:17:06 pm »
Here is how you post a photo.  Make sure you have the link with the .JPG at the end, then cursor over it, copy and paste into the post, and then cursor over it to highlight it, and click the "insert image" button on the tool bar.  It will wrap it in IMG tags.

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline yogadevo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:23:23 pm »

Offline yogadevo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:24:46 pm »
Thanks Hoop, I did it!