View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: My homemade ice chisel  (Read 9188 times)

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
My homemade ice chisel
« on: April 02, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Here's some pictures of the ice chisel I made, I used a Bosch "digging chisel" for the blade.  I found it on Amazon.com for $15 under the "more buying choices", it was listed as "used in like new condition" but it came brand new in an unopened bag and I still got it shipped free 2nd day air because it qualified for Amazon Prime, which I have.  It weighs 6.3 pounds / 2.8 kg. I might cut a bit under 2 inches off the blade to get the weight down more.  I had to cut the hex shank down a couple time to reduce the weight.  The handle is thin walled aluminum and the weight of that is pretty insignificant. I would be interested in knowing how this compares weight-wise to a smaller diameter hand auger if somebody has one handy.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: My homemade ice chisel
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 01:52:14 AM »
Nice Kaifus, What are the specs? And how hard is the steel? Do you think that the handle would withstand the ponding, I would be afraid that it would mushroom, or crack???
Keep us inform of its performance.
Cheers
David

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:19:44 AM »
Hi Kaifus,

That looks like a good size blade.  I like that sheath too.  I would be interested in how you seated that into the tube.   I am also interested in it performance and if the aluminum will buckle.  We'll see next season eh!   :)  How long is the handle?   May want to tape it up with friction tape or duct tape or something for insulation and grip.  Any splashes onto the aluminum will also turn to ice!   

Blade profile:  I would recommend you square up the blade shape to be perfectly straight with 90 degree corners.  That curved shape will glance off the cut somewhat, and it will bury in ice and not do the extra fracturing at the edges.  Unlike wood, an ice chisel not only cuts but it also fractures and flakes.  You want the blade going straight down, and square corners will do major fracturing and flaking work for you.  Also mind the bevel angle.   That might be about max.  Again, unlike wood, you don't want the blade cutting too deep and burying without fracturing and flaking ice out, so its a balance in the bevel between too fat (does not cut well) and too thin (does not flake well).   Keep us posted how it does.   
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 12:11:45 AM »
Its a pretty good grade of steel I think, it is a bit for a jack hammer so its made to hold up to constant stress and jarring.  Drilling through it for the 1/4" bolt wasn't easy and it took me more than one drill bit.  The blade is three inches wide with about ten inches of it showing in the pictures and the handle is five and a half feet long.  The handle is thin walled aluminum but it plenty strong, I wouldn't want to use it as a pry bar but for this I don't have any doubts.  I had it finished in time to try it out on the ice and use it for some ice fishing around here and I brought it with me to the Boundary Waters and tried fishing and got water with it there. To mount the handle I made up a little steel collar that is driven down the hex shank of the chisel until it bottomed out and then I have a short piece of 1-1/4" ID aluminum tubing that fit nice and tight over the the hex hex shank and that's driven down the shank until it hit the collar and then the 1-1/2" OD handle is pressed over the short piece of aluminum until that reached the collar.  It seamed to chop through the ice good, I can't say it was any worse than hand augering except for having to stop and clean out the hole.  I like the hockey tape/friction tape suggestion and I might shorten the blade at some later point to save weight and I'll rethink the blade profile then.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 03:12:23 PM »
Thank you Kaifus for all the info, it look like a good chisel at a fair price! Thank you for sharing.
Cheers
David