View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Finnish sleds  (Read 11623 times)

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Finnish sleds
« on: August 11, 2012, 11:53:46 am »
Here is a drawing of an ahkio developed by the Finnish Army during the 1920s. All measurements are in millimeters. Send me a PM if you require the drawing in larger resolution. The second and third drawings are from the English version of the Wehrmacht winter warfare manual.

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Finnish sleds
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 07:36:56 pm »
Interesting. It looks like a clinker built small boat. Make it watertight and you can cross open water with it :).

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 02:50:13 am »
Interesting. It looks like a clinker built small boat. Make it watertight and you can cross open water with it :).

Actually the manual the drawing was taken from recommends using pine tar to coat the inside of the ahkio.

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 01:37:43 pm »
The first ones look very much like the Samisk sleds I saw in the Tromso museum. They were often drawn by reindeer and the driver would sit in it.

Kinguq.

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 03:39:52 pm »
The first ones look very much like the Samisk sleds I saw in the Tromso museum. They were often drawn by reindeer and the driver would sit in it.

Sámi sled was different in a way that it had much higher sides & back and it was mainly used to transport people, not goods. What the driver would do is to steer the "ship" using a kind of a stick in his/her one hand and balancing the sled at the same time using the weight of his/her body. However it is true that both the Finnish and Sámi sleds had the same origin.

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 08:22:39 am »
I wonder if there would be demand for a pile of digitised Finnish Defence Forces sled blueprints? There are many of them dating from 1920s to 1950s. The final form could a set of PDFs or image files on a CD with translations of the building instructions. Naturally one would have to charge a small fee from the time spend in making the copies and translations.

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:13:44 pm »
I wonder if there would be demand for a pile of digitised Finnish Defence Forces sled blueprints?

I'm sure there would be the interest, I'm not sure how many people would be interested enough to bother with paying for it though.  Maybe if the prints are in the public domain you could publish something for the Amazon Kindle, I've purchased articles or mini-books on there that otherwise would never have been published and you could reach a broader audience.

Offline saddler

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • Moore Leather
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 03:54:39 pm »
Sorry for the delay making my first post here. I'd logged on to join the forum on May 25th, the activation code was received today, Dec 25th.

I'm interested in the Finnish use of the Ahkio in WW2, but my location makes it difficult to acquire an original example (unless someone on the site has ideas?)

I regularly see them advertised on a couple of websites in Finland, with prices ranging from 50Eu to 250Eu - for genuine SA marked WW2 examples. The purchase isn't the issue, it's the transportation of them back to the UK (Scotland).

I seem to have three possible options regarding an original ahkio:
1. Drive to Finland to bring an ahkio (or two) back = several thousand miles, quite a few lost days driving & a large fuel bill, ferry costs, hotels/B&B's; all in a small Nissan Micra
2. Fly to Finland, locate an ahkio. Bubble wrap it/cover in plastic sacks, then use a courier/shipping agent to send it to the UK
3. As per "2", but try to bring it back on the plane as "sports luggage/excess baggage"

Option 4 = build one from scratch.
Maybe the cheapest route, but not 100% convinced on making up a replica.....yet.

Keen to add to the knowledge base by acquiring ahkio plans from anyone that may still have access to them (Mangrove & maybe others)

Since trying to join here I picked up a WW2 German reference manual. The last page or so has a photo of a Finnish SA style ahkio, so I  would also guess that the type used in German WW2 service was the same as the Finnish model - maybe even purchased from Finnish makers in exchange for other German war goods.
So, there may even be an Option 5, of sourcing an example in Germany.

Anyone able to suggest ideas/solutions?

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 07:01:33 pm »
I wonder if there would be demand for a pile of digitised Finnish Defence Forces sled blueprints?

I'm sure there would be the interest, I'm not sure how many people would be interested enough to bother with paying for it though.  Maybe if the prints are in the public domain you could publish something for the Amazon Kindle, I've purchased articles or mini-books on there that otherwise would never have been published and you could reach a broader audience.

I would love to have detailed plans in english or french, that said the price would have to be quite "low". Look like an interesting design!

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 07:55:03 pm »
Welcome Saddler! I think driving though Europe to Finland to buy a sled there would be the greatest adventure/vacation of all and you could justify the cost of it from that view point. I think if you wanted an Ahkio for the history of it you'd be better off buying an authentic Finnish one if you could get it rather than making one, but if you wanted one to use you'd be better off making one yourself and use some the design elements of the originals but with modern materials. I really doubt you'd find any these in Germany left over from the war but there could be army surplus suppliers outside of Scandinavia that have imported them for resale. Good luck!

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 05:17:37 am »
I regularly see them advertised on a couple of websites in Finland, with prices ranging from 50Eu to 250Eu - for genuine SA marked WW2 examples.

"SA" marking isn't a proof that an ahkio was built during the wartime, the mark was used from 1942 to 1969. Wooden and plywood ones were used until the mid-1960s after which they were replaced with plastic and fiberglass models.

Option 4 = build one from scratch.
Maybe the cheapest route, but not 100% convinced on making up a replica.....yet.

I have seen the blueprints for the Finnish wartime model. It's made out of several different custom metal alloys, wood species, leather straps and cordage. Naturally all of the measurements are in metric system. It weights tens of kilograms and isn't really meant for a single person without any additional help clearing the way in front of him/her. There is another traditional Finnish/Karelian design called "veturi" which is much lighter and more suitable for a single traveller.

Veturi

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 12:05:17 pm »
I was gonna say, they look on the heavy side, but that last one seems a bit lighter... Look lie they are around 2m in length, are the Veturi shorter?

Offline arcticmag

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 12:23:22 pm »
Here's a video of a vignette from the Sami museum in Jokkmokk.

Gotta get me a reindeer!

https://youtu.be/niLKiA8LIdE
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 12:32:25 pm by arcticmag »
Make friends with the wolf, but keep your axe ready.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 02:55:33 pm »
Here's a video of a vignette from the Sami museum in Jokkmokk.

Gotta get me a reindeer!

https://youtu.be/niLKiA8LIdE

SWEET.... I want a reindeer to lol... One thing for sure, is when our lab pass to the other side, I'm going back to a "winter" work dog for sure!! There is plenty to choose from up here!!

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 03:41:16 am »
Look lie they are around 2m in length, are the Veturi shorter?

The length of a veturi is typically around 1,5 - 2,0 m, about the same as ahkio. However, veturi is much lower than ahkio, only around 0,15 - 0,20 m.