View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Ice fishing, Swedish Pimple?  (Read 16922 times)

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Ice fishing, Swedish Pimple?
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:22:56 PM »
I've decided on becoming the world's leading authority on ice fishing and namely ice fishing with the Swedish Pimple but I have a long way to go as right now I barely know the basics so any advice you guys can give would be appreciated. I guess I'd like to know what weight and type of line your using; if and what kind of leader, swivel, or snap your using; sinkers?; larger or smaller lure? For bait is frozen minnows better than wax worms or the imitation "power bait" type in the jar and is baiting it with the head of a minnow ever beneficial over using the whole minnow besides just conservative use of bait. Any general comments or opinions on the Swedish Pimple? Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:28:51 PM by Kaifus »

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Ice fishing, Swedish Pimple?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 04:16:59 PM »
I use one all the time for Trout/Whitefish to Perch. I tie directly to the Swedish Pimple with Foloural Carbon (sp) line. I the use a swivel between the Two lines. Size depends on what fish I am targeting. Wax worm is great for Perch and I've used then for Trout too. I use a Vexilar flasher which tells me the fish are there. I keep changing bait and technique till I find what works. I'll try to post some pics later.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:37:45 PM »
Here is a pic of two White Fish I caught with a Sweedish Pimple. I just gently bounced it on bottom then would reel it up a few feet and let it fall again.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
Nice fish and thanks for the reply and the advice. I'm sorry to bombard you with questions but I have some for you.

Is using a snap to attach the lure to the line bad for the action of the Swedish Pimple or otherwise spooks the fish? I'm assuming it must have some downside to it or they'd be used because of the ease of changing lures. When you said you bounce it off bottom are you actually hitting the bottom as your jigging or do you feel for bottom and then jig just above it so the lure is never directly on bottom or stirring up sediment? Are you using the same line weight before as well as after the swivel, or is there ever a time you'd use a heavier or lighter line between the swivel and the lure? How's the battery life of your Vexilar, will it go multiple days before charging? Alright, no more for now.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »
Ask as many questions as you want. Tie directly to the Pimple. A snap makes the action stiff at times. A swivel up the line prevents line twist.
  For Lakers and Whities I use a Floro leader from 6lbs to 12lbs for visibility and strength. For Whities I drop it right on bottom then tap it on bottom. Whities usually feed on bottom. Lakers you can fish fro above bottom up to the top. We usually fish them 40ft of bottom with good results. My main line is 12lbs Mono for the stretch. For Perch/pan fish I have a softer rod and 4lb mono with Floro leader and swivel
Time waits for no one!

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »
Okay very good. So after you've brought up a decent sized fish and he's put up a bit of a fight in the process do you ever retie the lure or retie both the lure and swivel and use a new Floro leader thinking that the fish has weakened the knots or entire leader?

When you said "We usually fish them 40ft of bottom with good results" I'm assuming your fishing in water 40 feet deep, and right "off" bottom with good results for both Lake Trout and White Fish? 

As for bait for a camping/ice fishing trip I was thinking of taking wax worms and keeping them in a shirt pocket to keep them from freezing, a jar of Berkley Gulp imitation waxies, and an insulated bucket of minnows. For a more serious expedition style trip maybe Berkley Gulp and frozen minnows. I don't see waxies as holding up very good in the cold. Sound like a good plan?

Thanks for your help, I think I'm getting this stuff figured out.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »
On Simcoe we are fishing in 70-100 Fow and fishing 40' off bottom for Lakers. For Whities we fish on bottom. We prety much use plastics now. 2" white tube jig with a jig head shoved inside it. Very productive. We use a Meegs or Badboyz which work great. I'll send you some links for some how to articles my friends have writen on ice fishing lakers and whities. Don't thin I can post them on the post so PM me. They will give you a good understanding. I have a friend who just uses a little cleo and an artifical wax worm for what ever he fishes for .

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 05:30:33 PM »
Alright, thanks for your reply, I'll send you a PM about those articles your friends wrote.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 09:23:47 AM »
I sent you the links via Email.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline massbigbore442001

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 08:18:39 PM »
There is an old New Englander trick of using a perch eye on a Swedish Pimple lure. A friend from this area moved to Upstate NY for a few years and he was surprised that no one used that method of ice fishing.

If you catch a perch, take out one of it's eyes and put it on the hook. Then jig the Swedish Pimple like a normal jig. It seems to increase your catch.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »
I admit I have never tried it. Some here swear by it and others dismiss it. Hear in Ont we can't use Perch as bait. It's still debatable whether the perch eye count as perch. Still tip with minnow tails and half minnows though.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 05:08:44 AM »
This is a great thread, but I want the links as well :D.... Unless it is top secret 8)...
I need to learn ice fishing, cause right now I really suck at it!
Keep the info coming.
Cheers

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 10:30:19 AM »
Here on Georgian Bay we were able to use perch for bait for the longest time. They changed that a few years back. Not sure of legality, but the first decent perch I catch is dispatched immediately, and I cut a strip about a quarter inch by an inch or so out of the belly. Put that on a small jig, a jigging rapala or small spoon like a swedish pimple. It is extremely tough, and it will last you literally dozens of fish. I have not noticed any difference in performance most days between minnows, live or dead and this method. I actually do not even bring live bait nine out of ten days. Works on pike, crappie, walleye and perch, although with the larger pike one must baby it a bit to avoid losing it. If you are keeping it, a small hand gaff hook works well to avoid losing em at the hole. If I am after pike specifically, or lakers I use a much beefier rod, heavier line and different lures. Also, for pike maybe a steel leader. A swedish pimple however tipped with a half minnow, or perch belly is a great place to start.

If I have minnows, I will set a line a dozen meters or so away just for pike. I will go over how to set a line for those who have not done it.
There are many commercial tip ups available, but dont waste your money unless you really want to. Doing it tiis way, all you must bring is a small spool of line and some tape.  Simple, and for winter camping, lighter and easier to pack.

Get a small spool of line about seventeen pound test, and tie a steel leader on the end. Put a medium size treble hook on it. Six inches from the leader put a split shot sinker on it. Take some slush, and secure a thin live, flexible stick about two feet long, so that the stick is at about a 45 degree angle to the ice, and the end of the stick is somewhere above the hole. Drop the line down the hole till you feel the sinker is on bottom. Bring it up so the sinker (and therefore the bait) is suspended about three feet from bottom. Take a piece of electrical tape and make a small loop in the line. Put the loop over the end of the stick. You want to make it so that the bait is suspended about three feet from bottom. Pull up the line, put the minnow on the hook, but make sure the hook is lightly under the skin of the minnow, put the spool of line ten feet away on the ice. It is important that the spool can spin freely on the ice, yet not be pulled down the hole.  Do not hook the minnow deep, as it will kill it.

This is what happens when a pike takes the bait. He grabs the minnow, and runs with it. The line pops off the flexible stick. The spool is laying on the ice, and it free spools as the fish swims. it is important here that the fish feels very little resistance. You can see that the tape is gone easily when the line goes down. Some people put a bell on the stick so when the fish pulls it down the stick moves and the bell rings. When you see the tape go down, run like heck to the hole and watch the line. The fish may run for a bit but will stop. When he stops, the rule here is to wait three seconds because he will most likely be turning the minnow in his mouth to swallow it. Grab the line, feel for weight and set the hook HARD. Do not wait too long, because if the fish swallows it, it usually can not be released if for some reason you do not want it. Now it gets tricky. If it is a big fish, you will have to let it run, but with serious resistance. You will probably not be able to just pull it in without breaking the fish off. Let it run, then pull it in. When you get to the hole, keep the line off the sides of the hole, or you will break the line. Again, here a hand gaff hook helps, but only if you plan on keeping it. It is better to lose the fish than to injure it and attempt to let it go.

If you only have frozen minnows, there are a few mods to make. One, put the hook in the minnow deeper. It will not kill it, it is frozen. Second, you may need to put a small nail in the belly of the minnow like a keel, because frozen minnows tend to float and they flip upside down and look silly on the hook. Also, bring some tin foil and put it somewhere on the flexible stick so it catches the wind. Also make the stick longer. Any wind will flex the stick and make the bait wiggle and bob around so the minnow looks alive. Ish.

And yes, a fluoro leader is a must for use on an ice rod or hand line. I usually have anywhere from six to ten pound test line and a fluoro leader about four feet long, maybe twelve to seventeen pound test tied on with a uni to uni knot. If you use a swivel to join the line to leader, you are limited to how long the leader can be because it does not seem to go through the rod guides nicely. With a long leader you can cut off a bit of the leader and re tie easily many times before a new leader is needed. the leader just gets a bit shorter each time. True, a swivel may take out some line twist, but it has neved seemed to be an issue.

My largest walleye was about 14 lbs and was caught on four pound test and a tiny perch jig. Quite a long fight but possible

As for ice fishing while winter camping, Just freeze some minnows. Make sure they do not freeze in a big clump though. I use frozen minnows to catch that first perch quite often. As an aside, if you are ice fishing somewhere where other fisherpeople are fishing, the law here states that bait cannot be released, exept into the body of water they were taken from. This means that many who are leaving just dump their bait by the holes and leave it for the crows. If you see this, just grab the minnows put em in a bag and into the freezer. Dont need to buy anything. They keep for years. The fish I have caught did not seem to mind a bit of freezer burn  :D

As for how to find good pike, walleye, perch, trout etc habitat, well... I suggest a subscription to Ontario out of Doors magazine.  :)

I realize some of this may have been covered in previous posts, but if it helps someone out. oh well.

Hutch
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:38:43 AM by Hutchy »
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 12:44:45 AM »
Good informative post Hutchy, thanks!  And thanks bigbore44 for the tip on the perch eye.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 08:43:45 AM »
Great write up. We sometimes catch Pike when we are Crappie fishing with 4 lb line. Luckily it is usually in the corner of it's mouth. After 20-30 min we get him in. You know when the Crappie stop biting there is something elese down there.

Only speaking Crappie here but somethimes when a whole minnow doesn't work we rip it in half and they bite like crazy. Most times we just use plastics for Lakers and whities through the ice. Nice big white tube jig. Whities on bottom and lakers off bottom.

Always check the regs on the lakes you fish. Lots of Speck lakes are no live bait at all. different # of lines through thte ice and catch limits. Most whitie lakes in the Province are 25 but when you get to Simcoe it is 2.

RR
Time waits for no one!