View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Ice fishing, Swedish Pimple?  (Read 16909 times)

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Ice fishing, Swedish Pimple?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 08:58:17 AM »
Sorry I'm a real pic guy and love seeing pics of fish people have caught. Here's the Pike my buddy caught while crappie fishing.

Walleye on a Swedish Pimple. I had tipped it with a full minnow.  Funny thing was this was in 60 fow

This is my home made tip up when I am fishing with two lines. Sometimes I put a second rod out with a stand.

I have only used the branch once or twice but have guys at work who use it exclusively. I think they use an elastic on the end but not sure how.

I'll be out fishing this week on a few small lakes.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Opa

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »
I take in live minnows for winter camping[deepfreeze] and have had no trouble keeping them alive for a week. I bury the minnow pail , uninsulated, in loose snow every night, about a foot or more of snow around the pail. Even on the coldest nights the pail only gets a skim of ice. During the day the pail usually comes into the hot tent to thaw the ice out of it or I just change the water. When we go fishing, which usually is a hike, I transfer a dozen or so minnows into a nalgen or a drink jug. We can use two lines so one is a set line and I jig the other hole.
 Bill

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
Did some crappie fishing today. In a few hours four of us got proably two dozen or so. Many went back. Would show pics, but the fish are ...uhh...gone already...

A word about keeping minnows alive, we quite regularly get a plastic container with a large mouth and screw on lid, drill it full of holes and drop it down the hole, well below the bottom of the ice. Minnows stay alive all winter. Use a chain so that you dont miss with your chisel and cut a rope when chiseling it out after the hole has re-frozen. Also, tie the end of the chain to a strong stick and suspend it in the middle of the hole. A small stone may be needed to get the container to sink. Dont drill holes near the bottom of the container so it holds water when you pull it out of the hole. You can buy special net bags for through the ice use that do the same thing, but making one is free.  The ones made for summer fishing work, but your hole needs to be massive.

Also, just in case, make sure the chain and stick are attached to the ice, not the fish shack. Should your fish shack blow away in a wind storm, you will not lose your minnows, chain and custom bucket. Dont ask how I know.... :-[

and keep an eye on dogs, they tend to grab random sticks and drag them away, with your bait bucket... freezing all your minnows solid...Again dont ask how I know... :-[ ;D

Must sleep now, traps to set in the am. Also, Merry Christmas to everyone.

Hutch
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...