View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter Evaporation off Lakes Superior and Nipigon  (Read 2242 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Winter Evaporation off Lakes Superior and Nipigon
« on: December 19, 2008, 07:33:24 am »
The Modis image from Dec 17 shows perfectly the effect of evaporation water loss from the big lakes.   Here is the link  http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=USA3.2008352.terra.1km

Lake Nipigon is partially ice covered, and the effect can be easily seen.

Lake Superior only freezes over completely in really cold years.   One of big the worries in global warming is that Lake Superior does not freeze over enough years, and if it does the ice cover period is shorter.  The Lake loses a large amount of water in winter through evaporation.  Last spring the Lake was at an all time low level.  Let�s hope we get a freeze over this winter - Preferably one where we don�t get snow for a while, so that we can have the biggest skating rink on the planet.     :)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:39:45 pm by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline SWIFT

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Evaporation off Lakes Superior and Nipigon
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:28:54 am »
Dammit HOOP, WTH do you do for a living, that you know all this "stuff"?  You're like the geological (if that's even the right term to use?) expert around here.

Keep it all coming, I like it.