View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg Area 2013 Group Trip  (Read 18409 times)

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Winnipeg Area 2013 Group Trip
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:54:40 am »
Hello Folks,

I ended up moving from Northern Manitoba down closer to the Winnipeg area this year. I know that there are a fair number of members in my area, so it might be fun to arrange a group camp this season. I would probably be looking at a 1-2 night trip. With a 3 month old at home I wouldn't be able to talk my way into a week long excursion (and if I tried I'd be sleeping on the couch when I got back).

Let me know who is interested. If you can recommend a good site north/northeast of Winnipeg it would be appreciated. Also let me know when you would want to do the trip. Right now I'm leaning towards early January, but I'll have to look at my work schedule.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Winnipeg Area 2013 Group Trip
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 01:09:50 pm »
Hi

yes, certainly interested.

The ice should be thick enough by then to open up a wide range of routes.

Grizzly Adam and I went a little way along the Frances Lake canoe route in Whiteshell Park last year http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=1897.0 and I would be keen to go further up the river and depending on road conditions there are lots of options in the north end of the Whiteshell and south end of Nopiming if you use the lakes. Staying on land, I have a flat trail to the east of Rennie http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff93/canoepaddler/winter_pics/?action=view&current=WhiteshellOvernighter.mp4  that I use that would be excellent for a group trip and I hope to get out before Christmas to scope out another trail or two.

Happy to stay flexible on dates though and can always take a Friday off.

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 02:08:53 pm »
I am in and dates can be made to be flexible, and if enough notice is given Jon the bush nut would probably join us. Toban bison is a local to as well as Nate. Party LOL http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/Smileys/default/grin.gif Keep us posted on this and we will plan a good trip anywhere.cheers Grizz.

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 04:43:36 pm »
Maybe there are folks from NW Ontario that would care to join us?

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:28:12 pm »
Took a look at the calendar, I have the first weekend in January off. Does January 4th-6th work?

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 10:42:54 pm »
I'm in as long as no one minds a dog...I hate pulling my own sled. ;)

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 10:49:21 pm »
Fine with me. I'd bring mine, but he's a little too high-strung for group camping.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 09:19:24 am »
Jon go ahead and bring Derga Ill bring Rick ye ha he will get to use the sled I built for him. Nikki will come too.

Offline toban_bison

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 01:51:29 pm »
I would love to go, but commiting 100% is difficult without know the dates. But I am definitely interested.

I find that when trying to plan a trip with a large group someone just has to pick the dates and as many as can make it do. If we try to pick a date that works for everyone, it ends up getting pushed back, and pushed back and doesn't end up ever happening. Just my experience though.

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 02:45:23 pm »
Good point. I'll officially set the date as Jan 4-6 (Fri-Sun).

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 02:57:31 pm »
Gotta like a Man that knows how to make a decision. Don't worry about the dog being high strung, my friend Rick is about as high strung as they come but a good guy, He likes camping and having fun but he is a CF vet and has PTSD. He is good people but like me he can get a bit loud at times and loves to tell the stories the veterans so commonly tell just ask Jon LOL. Cheers Grizz. Jan 4-6 it is, NOW WHERE GUYS. 

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »
We've had a suggestion of Whitshell Park, which would be about a 3 hour drive for me (reasonable distance). Are there any other suggestions?

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 04:03:47 pm »
I love the shield, spruce woods also has some land trails that have ski hut's on them which could make a nice common area just a thought. I'm easy.

Offline toban_bison

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 04:38:50 pm »
I am actually going to be out of town that weekend.

If the winter holds maybe a second trip somewhere down the line?

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 05:10:32 pm »
I'm not sure that Spruce Woods would be suitable given the amount of firewood likely to be consumed! I suppose if we kept away from the huts and camping areas there is a plantation to the south of the epinette trail that would be suitable. This would also take us away from the ski trails. At least the parking lot is ploughed!

Acurrier, where are you? I don't know many of the other areas in enough detail to recommend anywhere in detail. There are a number of Wildlife Management Areas along the Assiniboine that may work but it would be nice to be camped on a lake to get freshwater instead of melting snow.

Sure we'll be heading out on other trips. I want to get out again before Christmas.