View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg Area 2013 Group Trip  (Read 18401 times)

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Winnipeg Area 2013 Group Trip
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 06:10:58 pm »
I'm in Ashern, but a friend who lives east of the city was thinking about coming as well. I was actually poking around on the parks website, and Birds Hill looks like it is in the area we were hoping to meet. Has anyone been there before? Not sure if it is suitable.

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 09:25:19 pm »
how about some where along hyw 308 we could follow the white mouth river. south of hadashville on hwy 1. It's about an hour east of the city. looks like a big empty green space on google maps. Grizz and I have camped there in the summer might do for winter. i suppose it depends on how much time we want to spend hawling sled vs sitting by the fire and doing day hikes.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 09:56:40 am »
I'm in Ashern, but a friend who lives east of the city was thinking about coming as well. I was actually poking around on the parks website, and Birds Hill looks like it is in the area we were hoping to meet. Has anyone been there before? Not sure if it is suitable.

OK you are a fair way north of Winnipeg and a long way from the eastern forest.

Forget Bird's Hill. It's nice but more of an urban park, heavily used and probably not appropriate for trad. style camping. We were there last weekend with the dog and the ski trails definitely dominate the forested area and whilst you could tuck yourself away somewhere the impact of several folk cutting poles for tents, burning a significant amount of wood and sh*tting in the woods would probably not be appropriate.

There may be something in the interlake but I don't have any detailed info and can only go on what Google Earth tells me!

Perhaps Hecla would work but that is probably three hours for me!

South of Hadashville off Hwy 1 is good in winter. Park at the gate of the forest discovery center and follow the trails there towards the river. However that is nearly as far as the northern part of the Whiteshell for you.

This is always difficult!

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 10:15:30 am »
BV is right Birds hill is not good for camping and getting any trail that has not been skied on is a miracle because the park is heavily traveled. The area south of Hadishville  where Jon and I camped in summer is closer and has river access for water and travel just not sure how far they plow the road. If anyone is interested I am going to Mars sand hills this weekend for my daughters first overnight winter camp is the in ground shelter. all are welcome cheers Grizz

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 11:41:35 am »
It looks like the Whiteshell is going to make for the nicest camping trip. I don't mind the drive, I've gone further for less before. Whiteshell will also give members in NW Ontario the best chance of being able to make it.

For those who are familiar with the park, what do we need to camp there? Do we need to buy passes/register, or can we just show up? Is there a fee to use the park?

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 03:00:20 pm »
As far as I can tell you just need a Manitoba Provincial parks pass, I think there around the 30 buck mark. In the off season I don't think they really enforce it much but better safe than the alternative. I love the shield and going to pack way lighter this time so Chris won't have to break so much trail. I also got bigger shoes for my fat [email protected]# cheers Grizz.

Offline michel

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 04:13:41 pm »
Maybe there are folks from NW Ontario that would care to join us. (quote)      May be next year I am from Dryden so it is fairly close.I winter camp almost every year and I think you need at least 3 night to wort the trouble of all that packing.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 10:21:33 am »
So fellas we should start choosing a area to go White Shell is good but where? , Chris if you have some free time we should go on a scout of the area ,if  Jon is available we can all go . we also need to plan who is going and who many tents we need , my tent sleeps 3 and if Jon  and Rick are coming it will be full 3 men 2 dogs LOL warm tent LOL. Chris is the misses going are you bringing Molly? give me a call so we can work this trip out a bit.cheers Grizz.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 11:06:43 am »
She may come along but I suspect not!

One issue is having to have Holly on the leash 100% of the time. Her husky heritage is taking over! If left alone she disappears into the woods for long periods and if not careful she may not come back.

I will have the two man tent, happy to share but quite contented to spread out, eat curry and fart and snore...

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 11:40:37 am »
Warm tent lol MMMMM curry

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 01:58:02 am »
I haven't had time to look at this trip any further. As far as where we go in the park, I'm going to leave that decision up to the people who know the area. Also need to know when/where we're meeting on the 4th.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 10:01:38 am »
Will do I will talk to Chris and Jon and find out logistics and post them

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 10:02:57 am »
Hey Guys Chris and I are going to go and scout out some areas in White Shell on Saturday and find parking and route's If anyone has the day off your welcome to join us. We will meet at Seddon's corner at 9 am and head out down the 44 east from there. I talked to Jon and he is not 100% sure he can go the 4-5-6 Jan as there is big construction at work but I am 100% in and my VET friend Rick is 90% in and I believe Chris Is 100% in as well. what distance is everyone comfortable pulling sled in a day, Chris and I figured approximately 3 K so we will look for route's about that length.Cheers Grizz

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 09:06:05 pm »
3k should be fine. I'm definitely going to be there, and a friend will hopefully be joining me...just waiting to see if he can get the 4th off.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it out there on Saturday, thanks for going and scouting out a campsite in advance.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 09:40:52 am »
sick very sick cough cough hack he he he LOL