View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg Area 2013 Group Trip  (Read 18421 times)

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Winnipeg Area 2013 Group Trip
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 10:17:36 am »
Well Chris and I checked out a couple spots and we have 2 options, 1 is the hiking trail that goes from Red Rock to Cabin Lake. This is a overland trail with some hills with a return distance of 4.6 KM + 2.3 In and the same out we would have water/ice access.
Option 2 is the Francis Lake canoe route this is a small creek/slow river water way that winds a long way to the lake. The start point would be HWY 44 at Hanson's Creek and proceed to the south east following the creek, camp sites we stayed at last year was approx 2 KM in but a bit further down was better spots. The Ice conditions at the start point was approx 3-4 " thick and no slush that we saw and 4" snow on top. Both spots have nice views and clear haul paths and should pose no problems hauling sled.
The third place we looked at was a bush trail but was heavily used by ATV/sleds and would make pulling a nightmare not to mention melting snow for water.

I am really looking forward to this trip in January I think it will be a Party LOL Cheers Grizz.

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 02:01:57 pm »
Do both have good parking options?

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 02:45:07 pm »
Cabin lake trail was road was plowed and there was lots of traffic, and Francis lake you can pull off the road to shoulder or I can break trail with jeep into boat launch snow was not very deep at both locations.

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 02:46:00 pm »
looking from google maps sat view they both should have ok parking.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 03:14:59 pm »
Regardless we will have 2 4x4 vehicles and recovery straps / shovels to deal with any mishaps should they arise No worries fellas Cheers Grizz.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 04:34:22 pm »
When were scouting routes we rejected several potential locations due to lack of parking. One good thing about Frances Lake is that there is another parking spot a few hundred meters down the road at the Bear lake trailhead which does seem to get plowed over the winter. So we could unload and move cars there if needed. (Unfortunately the bear lake trail is pretty much impassable for a toboggan!)

However there had been a vehicle in the Frances Lake lot. looked like a single snowmobile come off the back of a truck and had gone up the lake.

I'm trying to get organised enough to try the Cabin Lake Trail this weekend whether it will be a day trip or camp will depend on how much I get done in the next few days.

www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 12:50:38 pm »
I believe Chris is going to try the Cabin lake route this weekend I am taking my Daughter to my winter shelter for 3 days with Rick. Sorta a gear shake down for him and me, I guess he will let us know how it is for campsites and such. The Francis Lake route we can go as far as we want and sites are easy to find. Cheers Grizz have a great Christmas

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2012, 04:40:25 pm »
We checked out the Cabin Lake Trail yesterday. Grate trail, very pretty Boreal forest on a cold but stuunigly beautiful Manitoba day but absolutely no go for toboggan hauling!

first few hundred metres were really great. A level trail and would have made for easy pulling.

Then the trail dropped down to a beaver pond. Not so bad if it didn't immediately climb up onto a rock outcrop.

we were able to follow the pond around the corner to where we found a shallow slope to ascend to the top. The trail then folowed a series or outcrops, crossing gullies and rocky steps as it made it's way to the lake.

The real clincher though was the amount of blow down.

Most could be circumvented by bushwhacking round the ends but hauling a toboggan round this lot would be a major task.

We made it to the lake where we snowshoed along the shoreline until we found a spot out of the wind for lunch.

Selena tried out her new goggles. She had forgotten her sunglasses and needed some protection against the glare.

The snowmobiles make it into here from the north and south via a long cross country trail. Most look to be ice fishing, though we found one set that just looked to be pulling donuts through the juniper bushes on the shoreline where the rock sloped down to the water. Overall though it was a stunning lake and not too busy compared to some parts of the Whiteshell.

On the way back along the trail we crossed the beaver pond again, taking the steep slope downhill this time, and figured that maybe you could make a trail along the pond and cut through to another pond to the north to make it to the lake.

Unfortunately it was getting late so we didn't have time to check this out to be able to say with any confidence what the route would be like.

So Frances Lake/ Hanson's Creek it is then!
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 08:30:11 pm »
Thanks for scouting the trail, would have been a pain to run into that en route!

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 10:20:47 pm »
Jon and I agree Frances it is, Sorry Chris could not go with but took the kid to mars for the weekend.just a side note to everyone on the trip bring boster cables LOL just replaced my battery knock on wood LOL Cheers Grizz.

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2012, 10:56:54 pm »
so Francis lake.....sure why not...never been there before!
were to meet up Friday morn?
what time? would be good to convoy out of the city.harder to get lost/separated en route.
does anyone need to car pool?
I've got room for 1+ gear or gear for 2 in my Pathfinder,(bringing large dog) though we might have to throw some stuff on the roof.
I live on the east side of the city. so if anyone wants to park at my house and ride with me they are welcome. send me a pm.

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2012, 07:53:36 pm »
Well folks, we are a little more than a week away from the trip. Thanks to those folks who took the time to go scout out our campsite, it is appreciated.

From what I can tell, the people who will be attending are:

Myself + friend
Bothwell Voyageur + wife?
Grizzly Adams + friend + dog + daughter?
thebushnut + dog

Please let me know if I missed anyone. It looks like Hwy 44 (from Beausejour) will take you straight to the Frances Lake parking lot, is that correct? Are there signs indicating Frances Lake?

Lets aim to arrive at the Frances Lake parking lot on January 4th at 10am, and be on the trail by 11am. If anyone can't make it for this time please let me know.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 09:15:27 am »
Heading East on 44 you will see a small bridge marked HANSON'S Creek , this is the put in for Francis lake canoe route. The pull out is just past the creek on the right side, and if it is snow plowed in we can park 100 + meters at Bear lake lot. Gonna be fun can't wait. cheers Grizz. PS we should PM each other with Cell #'s so if anyone has car problems/delays we can adjust accordingly. 

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 05:22:19 pm »
It should be a 2h drive from the city. if anybody wants we can meet up at Seddon's corner just before 9am and convoy it to Hanson's creek. If anybody wants to car pool I live on the east edge of the city and will have room for 1+ gear. Pm me and let me know.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 04:54:48 pm »
Have a Happy New Year Fellas cheers Grizz.