View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg Area 2013 Group Trip  (Read 18395 times)

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Winnipeg Area 2013 Group Trip
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2013, 11:34:38 pm »
Gear's all packed good to go, Chris if you have time give me a call to arange meeting place. I have to pick up Rick in st.vital so Jon and I will drive out # 15 hwy just need a meet up with you and Accuirer in the morning Jon and I were thinking Seddon's Cornner at 9Am. Looks like the weather should be good , I was hoping for blizzard but ya know. Jon still has room to car pool if you and him can arange a drop off/pick up point. Cheers Grizz

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 11:17:07 pm »
I would be coming up the 12 to Anola and then along Hwy 15 to Elma, then then the 11 to the 44 and via Rennie into the Whiteshell.

Jon, would you be able to meet somewhere on the 15 instead of the 44? There are two gas stations in Anola ( Esso on the south side or a Petrocanada on the north) further east the store in Elma would work as a place to meet.

Could car pool from either location if that helps.

Still in chaos from last weekend. Hopefully will get sorted tomorrow!

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 12:10:18 am »
sure.. the Esso should be fine. I should top up the tank anyway. both Grizz and I will be coming down the 15, in winter I always think it's a good idea to convoy. what does't fit in with us can go with him. I'll be driving a black Nissan Pathfinder with rusty fenders. Grizz will be in his Cherokee. hopefully we'll be there 8:30ish. depends on traffic getting out of the city.
the goal is to be at the trail head by 10am and moving by 11. weather depending. I suppose if anyone is out there first and gets impatient we can always track em down.

I may have to have an afternoon nap. I hate early mornings.

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 12:38:22 am »
I can keep an eye out for the Esso. I'll be meeting up with the friend that's tagging along, and then we'll be taking the 15 to Hwy 44. If I don't stop at the Esso though, no big deal. Grizz and I have exchanged cell phone numbers, so we should be able to find each other. I probably have the longest drive, so if anyone is going to be late getting there it will probably be me :)

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 09:22:36 am »
Yea we won't be hard to track It will look like some super otters went slide wild on the Ice. We will try to hook up in the morning and head out in a group, but if anyone is running behind no worries cells as long as we know the situation and adapt from there. I may be driving my work truck a red ford ranger might need the room LOL.cheers Grizz

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 09:00:42 am »
we're back! a good time was had by all. a full account with pictures and video will follow soon.

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2013, 06:25:27 pm »
Had a great time, enjoyed meeting everyone. I know there was some talk of trying a second trip some time in March. We can figure out the 'when' later, does anyone have suggestions for 'where'?

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2013, 06:59:12 pm »
It was a great weekend. Good company, nice weather and a great spot to camp!

Despite forgetting my knife, load lashing strap and tumpline I muddled through! Though judging by the amount of ironwork on display the knife was the least of my issues! Some of those belts weighed more than my tent!

Will try to find some info about locations up north. Maybe somewhere around Fisher Bay?

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2013, 08:30:11 pm »
Fisher Bay could be a possibility, or we could go hunting for crown land around the Gypsumville area...there is lots of beautiful country up that way.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2013, 10:11:08 pm »
There is the caddy lake canoe route/ hunt lake east shore to little indian bay, Warner lake via Davivson/rynar , the possibilites are endless. I to had a great time I like to meet new people and make new friends, can't wait for the next trip LOL cheers Grizz.

Offline toban_bison

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 07:56:18 pm »
Glad to hear you guys had a good time. Really wish I could have made it out. Next time for sure. Keep me in the loop.

Take care all. -j

Offline wildernesstony12

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2013, 07:27:15 pm »
hi everyone, i got to ask, you keep talking about places to camp are these place crown land coming off the parks i am from mass. along ways but am getting into hot tenting just learning and asking a lot of qustions

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2013, 07:55:48 pm »
hi everyone, i got to ask, you keep talking about places to camp are these place crown land coming off the parks i am from mass. along ways but am getting into hot tenting just learning and asking a lot of qustions

I'm not sure how things work in the US. In Canada we basically have four different types of land:
  • Private Land
  • Crown (Government) Land
  • Provincial Parks
  • Federal Parks
On this trip we were inside a Provincial Park, which is monitored and maintained by provincial authorities. There are rules that have to be followed in Provincial/Federal parks, which all depend on where you are. Anything from parking permits, to restrictions on collecting firewood.

Crown land is owned by the government, and has very few restrictions on use. There is quite a bit of crown land near where I live, but if you are in an area like southern Ontario then you are going to have significantly less. You do not need permission to camp on crown land.

Hope that answers your question

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 08:53:00 am »
In the US you will have to contact the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to find areas that are open to camping and not in an official park.