View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: berwin bindings  (Read 15933 times)

Offline Ted

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
berwin bindings
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:33:45 am »
I'm thinking of moving away from my uninsulated Garmont 3-pin ski boots and to just use my winter Sorel pac boots with my skis.
One less pair of boots carried and the ability to move between ski and snowshoe with ease would be a good thing.
So my thoughts were to use Berwin bindings on the skis but they did have the reputation/history of breaking.

Would anyone know if they're now rugged enough and that breaking is no longer an issue.
They cost over a $100.00 bucks so I want them to last.

Thanks,
Ted
http://www.parkerclan.ca
To the Silent Places

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
Re: berwin bindings
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 08:55:28 am »
I have a pair of Trak Bushwackers with berwin bindings that have broken.  The issue as I understand it is that the older poly Berwins were prone to become brittle and crack with age.  These are the off white colored models. I believe they are no longer sold. The newer model Berwins are nylon and gray in color and are much better and more durable.  The bindings do work well.

-SW 

"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline MizMoosie

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • Winter Rendezvous 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 11:27:25 am »
I have a pair of Trak Bushwackers with berwin bindings that have broken.  The issue as I understand it is that the older poly Berwins were prone to become brittle and crack with age.  These are the off white colored models. I believe they are no longer sold. The newer model Berwins are nylon and gray in color and are much better and more durable.  The bindings do work well.

-SW

+1

They work!
Winner of the 2009 "Golden Spatula" cooking award at the Winter Camping symposium.  Winning recipe:  Filet Mignon in a wine, garlic & mustard sauce, served over orzo and accompanied by caramelized broccoli and washed down with Black Currant Mead.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 12:15:59 pm »
Hey gang could one of you with the Berwin bindings please post a pic , ski boots are what is keeping me from skiing in the back country years ago had a real bad experience with some borrowed boots and skis and almost lost some toes and now if I wear ski boots my feet freeze very easy I wish to use them with my steager muks. thanks Grizz.

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 12:48:49 pm »
Hi Grizz, here is a link that has a good picture.  They work well with Muks.  Many polar expiditions have used them.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68729?page=berwin-binding

-SW
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 04:44:10 pm »
These are new Berwins in action.

I HAVE broken one of the new style, on a side hill while wearing hard-sole Kamiks. Stongly suggest the hardest sole you should wear with them should be pac/LL Bean-style boots. Mukluks are better.

Think snow!
Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 08:05:03 pm »
Hi Grizz, here is a link that has a good picture.  They work well with Muks.  Many polar expiditions have used them.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68729?page=berwin-binding

-SW

The sliding snowshoes listed on Beans look intriguing- short skis! Has anyone tried them?

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 09:13:55 pm »
If I had the fund, I would buy a pair for sure, it would be great for hunting in the winter, caribou, Bison. rabbit....

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 09:38:39 am »
Those sliding snowshoes look interesting, I normally hate skis as per my bad experience but this looks like a acceptable option for me for wind packed lakes/rivers what you all think.Grizz

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 11:06:16 am »
I don't know what Bean is asking for them, but direct from the manufacturer (in da U.P. of Michigan, don't 'cha know!) you can find them at http://marquette-backcountry.com/. and they are on Facebook. If you decide to buy from them, tell them I sent you! (I don't know what good it might do other than brownie points, but hey...)

Think snow,
Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 11:26:19 am »
Could not find the Berwin bindings on their site the price of the ski seems reasonable but they do not come with bindings and ll Bean is selling there's for $299.00 with the berwins, although if Marquette has the bindings then I may get them there.

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 11:31:09 am »
The ski's from Marquette-Backcountry (M-B) are not the same as those on the Bean website. They are completly different in size, shape, and function. Beans ski's are 123-90-115mm and 130cm long whereas M-B ski's are 150mm wide and 140cm long.  I would surmise that M-B is more designed for backcountry downhill skiing whereas Bean's are more of a backcountry cross-country ski. 

-SW

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 11:46:43 am »
Thanks Slush Walker as I am not a skier these things are good to know as If I need skis it will be on packed trail and lakes. I ski like a giraffe on roller skates LOL more time on my ass than skiing, I think I will try the bean's seems like a good price for skis and the bindings.Cheers Grizz

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 01:41:07 pm »
Grizz, if you will use the skis mainly on packed snow/trail/windblown/crust, I would get some thing a bit longer than those at LLBean, short skis like that have really poor glide, and glide is the idea behind skiing. I would try to find an old pair of Karhu XCD GT or some thing similar. Just my 2Cents...
Cheers
David

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 03:27:11 pm »
The Thrift stores round here are full of skis- mostly skinny X-Country types but you do get a few others. How would I know which ones this binding would fit? Fot that matter how does a novice know what to look for to get a ski useful for back country touring? (sorry a bit off topic!)

I watched a few of the Marquette videos and am not convinced that the glide is much better than my trad. snowshoes on anything other than really packed trails. I suspect most of the comparisons I have seen are based on modern heavy but small shoes. They look fun downhill though! Unfortunately I would probably break something significant!
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes