View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Cleaning pike boneless  (Read 10689 times)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Cleaning pike boneless
« on: December 26, 2012, 11:01:43 am »
Hello all,

I find there is a bit of a trend towards people not liking to eat pike. Some say that is tastes fishy, stinky, etc. And all those bones!

I would actually rather have a pike than anything else, and have had only one that I can remember that tasted a bit more fishy than some and that was an nine pounder in late august I believe. Was still good, but had a slight fish taste to it. (it is fish, strange enough). I usually keep them in the three to six pound range and would take a six pound pike over a six pound walleye. I find that peoples aversion to them has to do with the bones. I grew up next door to a fishing and hunting guide who in 20 years of living here never bought meat. I learned quickly that cleaning pike boneless, and soaking it (and all wild meat) in salt water prior to eating makes all the difference and ehances the enjoyment of it. A pike fillet, and some cajun fish crisp cooked on the ice? Red lobster can keep its all you can eat shrimp.

My question is this: How many people fillet it boneless and is there an interest in a video on how to fillet it boneless?

I have heard there is another method different from how I do it, but I waste little meat, so I feel it works.
The ice is about thick enough now, and as soon as I can get all these christmas functions out of the way I could catch a few and do a video. I have not posted vids before, but it will be an adventure.  ;D

Lemme know.

Hutch

Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning pike boneless
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 11:26:39 am »
Greetings Hutch

I would certainly be interested to see how one cleans a pike so it comes out boneless.

Cheers

Brian

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 11:47:59 am »
I'd like to see a video as well.

-SW
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 11:54:03 am »
Two is enough!  ;D

Cant promise a timeline, but I will put it on the to do list. for the next two weeks or so. Fifteen below last night, so ice is forming fast.

Hutch

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:56:33 am »
I'm usless at filleting Pike but my buddy has the magic hands. No waste with him either. There is a youtube video somewhere I saw onece. Sure be interested to learn though if you want to put one together. I don't usually target pike but say I am going to every year. The laker, Whitie get boaring after awhile. Target Walleye once in awhile during ice but it is more of a travel for me.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:59:27 am »
Hutchy - Looks like you will be forced to go fishing now!
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 12:12:37 pm »

Lakers and whiteys getting boring... Well, the open Bay is about a twelve mile sled ride from here and no one for some reason fishes whitefish. Lakers yes, but it is often easier to just atv out a half mile from my place and catch some pike instead of going for the big ride. I guess I am just lazy...

Darn, forced to fish...

you guys can back me up on this one right?

Hutch
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:16:55 pm by Hutchy »

Offline Ted

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 03:09:16 pm »
I grew up picking the third set of bones out of pike and still doing it.
I'd love to see a video as I'll be eating pike for most of July and August.
Ted
http://www.parkerclan.ca
To the Silent Places

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 03:32:45 pm »
Pike is good eating and I'm kinda glad it's not on everyone's radar and in fact some consider it a nuisance fish so it leaves more for me lol.

There are lots of videos on Youtube so not sure if you'll want to go through the hassle of videoing it ;)

I start my fillet along the backbone to the tail, that's one fillet. Then run the tip of the knife (Rapala) along the spine (from where you just removed the top piece) just above the Y-bones (listening for the tell tale soft click of knife on bone) on either side before cutting away the side fillets. Then there's a small fillets near the tail on both sides after removing the sides so 5 pieces altogether.

I hope to get onto hard water this year for ice pike and perch.

Offline massbigbore442001

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 09:47:25 pm »
Here is a thought.

Lately I have been buying pickled herring from a Polish food store. I really love the stuff and the pickling process dissolves the bones more or less.

I have heard one can pickle pike and pickerel just as easy. That might be an option.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 10:15:10 am »
pickling sounds cool. Ever had canned salmon? I dont know what the process is, but the backbone pieces are in it and they crumble and dissolve if you eat it right out of the can. I believe, if I am not mistaken, pickling pulls the calcium out of the bones. If you place an egg in the shell in vinegar the shell becomes flexible and the egg will bounce.

I watched a few of the you tube methods and saw one way similar to how I do it, and one way very different. I may still do a vid because it seemed that how I am used to do it saves just a bit more meat than the you tube methods. Either way, how the you tube guys do it seem to work.
 I would post a link, but I think most here know how to use the you tube search feature?

May still do a vid.

Hutch

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 10:31:49 am »
cool , let us know when it's up. always looking for new ways to do things

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 12:31:20 am »
In the past couple years I've finally been catching enough Northern to try pickling and I've come to really enjoy it.  I've always enjoyed pickled Herring but the pickled Pike is almost as good and allows me to add the right amount of onions.  Also one small Northern make one quart of pickled fish and one jar lasts me for weeks and keeps for months.  That said, hopefully I'll be catching fish and some Northern on winter camping trips and they will be destined for the fry pan and not the pickle jar so I would be interested in how to de-bone them proper. Filleting out fish takes me awhile and I can't see how my fingers won't be absolutely frozen before I'm done.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 01:35:58 am »
had a pike to the hole crappie fishin today...hook popped out before I even got a good look at him. Anyway, I am quite interested to try pickling it. I have never pickled anything before. What is your method Kaifus? and others, of course.

Hutch

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 09:33:07 am »
Here's the recipe that I use.  I like it because unlike other recipes I saw that calls for a certain amount of fish, this one you just start filling up jars and then add the salt so its pretty easy.  I think when I've made it I've started with two jars of fish and salt but after day five and the adding of the onions I would then have three jars.  The first time I made it I left it sit for six or seven days in the salt and I think it was tougher then so wash off the salt on day five.  I've read that smaller Pike, say under 24" are better for pickling which makes since. During the first five day when I shake it I would always leave the jar upside-down from what it had been.  I use white onions and there as good as the fish when pickled.  I've never used red pepper. Good luck.