View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg?  (Read 6547 times)

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
Winnipeg?
« on: December 26, 2008, 01:22:47 AM »
Hi folks,
I'll be visiting in Winnipeg for a few days next week (Dec 29th- Jan 4th). I was wondering if there is enough snow for me to bring the snowshoes so that I can get out for a couple of hours here and there? There isn't enough snow here in Saskatoon, but probably Winnipeg has more than we do. In reality I'll probably just bring some cross-country skis, as I doubt if there will be room for my 5' long snowshoes, either in the vehicle or on the roof. My wife & I and our two kids are hopping in the vehicle with the in-laws and heading to visit my brother-in-law and family. As such, space is tight, and I won't be able to get away for very long, but it might be nice to burn off some of the holiday fare either by ski or snowshoe with a couple of brief outings.
Thanks in advance,
Bryan
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:57:38 AM by Pawistik »
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Winnipeg?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »
Head just a little further East and come visit Red Lake. Ideal conditions here as always.
Colder is better

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 08:42:20 AM »
Yup, lots of snow up here.  There's 2 feet in the bush...some places more.  If you don't want to drive all the way up to Red Lake, anywhere north of Hwy 17 on the Ontario side is bound to have snow.

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 10:31:17 AM »
Bryan
The Whiteshell has a lot of snow (east of Winnipeg )as does the Falcon Lake are.
Looking around Winnipeg on the 24th there seems to be a lot of snow
Kenora Ont has maybe a foot and a half of snow in the bush
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:33:16 AM by White Wolf »

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 11:03:40 AM »
Thanks guys,
Red Lake might be pretty nice, but it's a little too far for me to slip away for part of the morning. I think an hour's drive from my brother-in-law's place in the NE of Winnipeg is going to be my outer limit for distance and it would be in a borrowed car.

Cheers,
Bryan

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 07:38:37 PM »
It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. Just head on up here. Harlan and I can feed you and probably throw a beer or two in there.
Colder is better

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 12:23:17 AM »
It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. Just head on up here. Harlan and I can feed you and probably throw a beer or two in there.

:D ;D :D ;D

Well, I did pack my wool long undies....

Offline HFRI

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 09:34:23 PM »
Head over to Birds Hill Park just North of Winnipeg on Highway 59. Its quite a nice area, with many trails. The whitetailed deer population there is very high this year, which is strange because hunting was a little quiet this year. Come January-February I'll be checking for sheds there, I've seen more than a few 8+ pointers hanging out in there. (Even witnessed a fight).

Anyways, just an idea.

Hugh

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »
Head over to Birds Hill Park just North of Winnipeg on Highway 59. ....
That's perfect Hugh, only 19.3 km from my brother-in-law's doorstep according to Google Maps (he lives close to #59/Lagimodiere). I haven't been there before so it's always good to know what our options are to get out for a walk, skiing, or sledding rather than spend the week only with t.v., movies, and rich food. It looks like the sort of place that's a lot nicer in the "off-season".
Cheers,
Bryan

Offline HFRI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 05:47:09 PM »
So, did you make it out to Birds Hill?

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 03:16:08 PM »
So, did you make it out to Birds Hill?
No.  :(

I got out for a couple of walks in the fields behind the BIL's house (green space being rapidly filled with houses), but not much really. Also went for a horse-drawn sleigh ride with the family & kids near Birds Hill, went skating at the Forks & skating at my aunt & uncle's back yard, half a day at the museum (the larger one, it deserved much longer than the 3 hours we gave it). I put off the skiing at first because of the cold, and because we were doing other things, then my 3-year old got sick so that threw a monkey wrench into my plans.

It's kinda strange. I think my brother-in-law and his girlfriend don't get out much other than to shop. We kept asking for suggestions of what we can do for activities, and they had little to offer. We seemed to know more about the options than they did. At the suggestion of skating at the Forks, my BIL replied that there is no skating available anywhere until after the end of January once the ice has frozen solid enough! Of course that was not correct and we confirmed it. It was my wife that arranged the wagon rides, the horseback riding and more. They don't even own sleds (between the two of them, their kids are 16, 13, 11, & 10)! I am sure I brought more warm clothes with me than they even own. But I digress....

Thanks for the suggestion and hopefully it works out better next time.

Bryan

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »
Ah the Outlaws! Glad to be home I bet?!
Colder is better

Offline HFRI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 08:14:49 PM »
Ah, well sounds like you had a nice visit anyways. Maybe next time you'll get out to the park.

Hugh