View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Lots of Snow  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Muskrat Rambler

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Lots of Snow
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:11:13 pm »
Snowy greetings, everyone, from the Ottawa Valley,
Sure is an old-fashioned winter here; we've got about 70 cm. ( 2 1/2') of snow in the bush on top of a good base.  We've been using  the big Attikamek-style trail breaking snowshoes a lot.  I suspect, though, the slush will be a problem especilly on the smaller lakes and beaver ponds for a while. ( I once heard that a handy Algonkin cuss word was "skeebish' - meaning "slush"  - It's an epithet  you can use anywhere in an all-purpose way, as in "skeebish animoos" ie. "blasted dog" Correct me if I'm wrong about that if you speak Algonkin!)
Derek and I had a good trip up into the Pakotinna country last winter , but the skeebish camera froze up - no photos! We'll try to remedy that on our next expedition.
Best along the trail,
Muskrat Rambler

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Lots of Snow
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 12:41:00 pm »
That sounds like real winter.  (need photos!   :)).

I was out camping last week and did not need snowshoes.  The lake skiing was fantastic though with about 2-3 inches on top and no slush at all, about a foot of good ice.  Had to struggle to get enough snow in the bush to cover the sod cloth of the hot tent.  In town here there is brown grass showing through everywhere, and the local X-C ski club there are ice and grass patches, and tree roots in the ski tracks.  Its discouraging...but on the bright side, no slush!
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline michel

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:38:04 pm »
We got close to 1 foot here around Dryden. Last week there was no slush.

Offline Soledad

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 06:22:59 pm »
The ground is white, but there isn't much snow on top here in central MN.  Was driving my truck on the lake today though ;)

Offline sethwotten

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Water for Future Generations Expedition
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 04:17:50 pm »

I was out camping last week and did not need snowshoes.  The lake skiing was fantastic though with about 2-3 inches on top and no slush at all, about a foot of good ice.  Had to struggle to get enough snow in the bush to cover the sod cloth of the hot tent.  In town here there is brown grass showing through everywhere, and the local X-C ski club there are ice and grass patches, and tree roots in the ski tracks.  Its discouraging...but on the bright side, no slush!

It sounds like once you have a few more inches of snow, you will have optimum conditions for trekking long distances fast. Ahhh.... I wish I was in northwestern Ontario right now!

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 09:55:07 pm »

It sounds like once you have a few more inches of snow, you will have optimum conditions for trekking long distances fast. Ahhh.... I wish I was in northwestern Ontario right now!

Yes its probably peak right now.  Alas I won't be doing a big long trek, due to the day job work scheduling.  However I just got back tonight from a day trip back country ski into a lake about 100km up the Armstrong Highway (roughly 100+ km’s north of Lake Superior, and significantly higher elevation). At that latitude they have about a foot of snow.  The lake was again almost perfect skiing, zero slush....until my skis found some....and some more.  Its just enough snow now to insulate and get the spider holes blooming and overlfow a-flowing.
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 10:32:46 pm »
Almost worked in Armstrong and Pickel lake. Well our snow is on the way out. Rain by the end of the week and the fields are becoming bare. The lakes that had ice are going to loose what they had once the warm ground water starts to flow. Double digit by the weekend. Heard my first Seadoo add on the radio to night. Guess they are thinking spring. The Geese are still hanging around and may not go south this season. So may trips planned and so little snow.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Mike

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 07:18:08 am »
Would you please send some of the snow my way, Milwaukee PLEASEEEEEEEE.
Mike