View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Algonquin PP Ontario Family Day Weekend 2013  (Read 14573 times)

Offline jimmay

• Hauling Sled
  • Jim
    • View Profile
Algonquin PP Ontario Family Day Weekend 2013
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:32:09 am »
Ontario family day is Monday February 18, 2013 and noise is already being made to have a repeat of the great weekend we had last year at the Mew Lake Campground in Algonquin Provincial Park.

I have created this post to organize ourselves and keep any relevant information together.  Please move all discussion for this meetup here.

I am tentatively planning to attend with T, my kids and dog, weather permitting and baring any unforeseen obligations.

Who else is attending?

Jim

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Algonquin PP Ontario Family Day Weekend 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 12:15:29 pm »
I plan on being there. I picked out a new site on the airfield in October when canoeal and I were there.

Offline canoeal

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 03:15:30 pm »
I hope to be there. I met some new friends last year and hope to meet more again this year.Al

Offline Portageman

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:49:08 pm »
Our family will be joining the group again this year.  Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Ron
"In nature's wilds all is independence, all your luxuries and comforts are within yourself and all that is pleasurable within your minds; and after all this is happiness".   Nicholas Garry, 1821

Offline Misfit

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:25:22 am »
Sounds like a good idea. Providing i can get the time off i think i'll be in.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 07:04:10 am »
JohnnyR and I will probablly be up in the Mew lake campgroud. MNR has asked if we would be part of their winter camping in the park display. Still waiting for more details.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 08:04:44 am »
My friends and I are also planning to stay at Mew that weekend

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 02:59:54 pm »
I'm going to be up there from Tuesday the 12th until the Saturday the 16th.  I'll be camping in the airfield.  Is anyone going to be up before the weekend?  I haven't been to one of the family day events in the park yet.  I'm assuming it is farily busy on the weekend?  Hopefully it's quiet during the week before :)

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 03:51:05 pm »
We plan on arriving sometime after noon on friday, and leaving Sunday or Monday. And yes it gets a little busy, but most are respectful and quiet. Don't be suprised if you have people asking about your setup, last year I had a couple of dozen want to see both mine and my buddy's rigs.
If anyone is wanting to drop by, we'll probably have a large 10-man bell tent (WWII vintage) and a small 2-man blue nylon and white canvas hybrid A-frame :)

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 04:11:18 pm »
Were you right in the Mew Lake Campground last year?  Was it quiet during the week and busy on the weekend?  Ill be in the airfield if you want to slide by for a brew!  Where are you guys planning on staying?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:15:25 pm by hotelfive »

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 05:01:06 pm »
Yup; We were right beside the cold-camping display, hence the interest in our hot tents.
It was actually surprisingly quiet the whole weekend, the crowds only showed up saturday morning from about 8am on, and most headed out to the bird hike and museum displays right away, only to return in late afternoon for the BBQ and wolf howl (which is in the old airfield by the way).
A few stuck around for skating and hot chocolate in the Mew Lake comfort station parking lot, but there was very little yelling or carring on all day.
Friday and Sunday were very quiet, with only the "hardcore" and a few trailers sticking around.
We'll be in the hydro sites near the comfort station so we can have our fancy 'lectric lights 8)
I've messed up my back, so no hauling (and little snowshoeing) for me this year  :(

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 05:08:25 pm »
We'll be in the campground as well. We're going to make the trek down the track and trail to visit everyone. Scootergriz what day are you arriving?

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 05:09:26 pm »
I know this is totally selfish but I wish they didn't have these winter camping things lol....The less people that know how fun it is the better!  Even over the past 10 years or so I have noticed a big difference in the amount of people in Algonquin in the winter.  I remember being the only person in the Mew Lake campground several times.  Now there's pretty much always people there, especially on the weekends.  It's still a far cry from summer, but I LOVE the solitude part of winter camping.  I don't want to see it get to the point that you need to reserve a site in the winter...but again that's just me being selfish about it :)

One thing I do notice though is that those who do winter camping are not your typical weekend-warriors.  They have a high level of respect for the park and the quietness....

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:11:48 pm by hotelfive »

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 05:09:55 pm »
Do they set up displays along the Track and Tower trail?

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 05:47:48 pm »
No such thing as solitude along the Hwy 60 corridor. There are vehicles parked at every trail head.Algonquin is a busy place in the winter. Why not try Rain Lake entrance or one of the other options for getting into the Park. We used to do a week up in the Rain Lake area. WE never used to see anyone. A few years after we started to see other groups heading in.

Lots of Ontario to explore. I'm all over the place and never see anyone when you get back a few lakes. The odd time a trapper or hunter.

RR
Time waits for no one!