View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Algonquin PP Ontario Family Day Weekend 2013  (Read 14594 times)

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Algonquin PP Ontario Family Day Weekend 2013
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 06:08:55 pm »
Is the road plowed into Rain Lake in the winter?  I never really thougth about that. Honestly I haven't had an issue along Hwy 60 finding solitude.  I find I just have to be a bit more selective now as to when I go.  Mid-week is usually quiet.  Mew Lake does start to get a few people so now I have moved to camping in the airfield, or back in the radio or dog free area.  I hosted a photography workshop there last fall and mistakingly picked teh Thanksgiving weekend to do it.  Wow that was INSANE!  All of the parking lots were jammed and there were literally busloads parked for a km on the highway shoulders on each side of each trail....won't do that again! 

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 06:29:39 pm »
You  have to see if they are logging in the area. If so they plow the road in. Most times we go they haven't so we have had to ski in just to get to the main campground.  This year the snow has been low and I know some who have driven right in. There are also some lodges at other access points that sell permits for the park. You could access from there and have secure parking as well. You'd never see a soul. Get yourself a Backroads Map book. Check out some of the more remote lakes with maybe a marina on them. Park at the marina and one or two portage and your by yourself. There are tons of solutions to seclusion.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 07:36:48 pm »
I'm surprised at not seeing much mention of camping off the Sunday Lake dogsled trail. I'd choose this for it's easy access and remoteness (but not *too* remote unless one wanted that). Am also looking at topos of the Park for other spots to possibly recon in the fall for other potential sites.

But back on topic, not sure if my wife and I will be heading up to APP or Temagami (Smoothwater) for the family day long weekend. Would like to meet everyone and play 'spot the Wintertrekking patches' ;)

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 07:47:14 pm »
Are there any decent spots to set up off the Sunday lake trail?  How far along do you have to go before you find a decent spot?  I like to be fairly close to the parking spot so I can go for hikes etc during the day...

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 07:58:53 pm »
I plan on being there the Friday and out on Sunday. I'll be at the airfield. Last year on family day it was fairly quiet out on the airfield. 

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 08:33:07 pm »
I've never actually had the chance to camp off Sunday Lake trail but it's pretty choice I think and hope to camp there next year. The sleds (and the grooming) help keep the trail nice for easy pulling but you have to make sure you step off when they come up the trail behind you. I figure an hour and you'd probably find a good spot.

Depending on where you camp, the trail bisects the Big Pine hiking trail so there's your hiking there and access to camping areas ;)  I'd just snowshoe the loops vs hike if I was camping there and I believe a member here posted a detailed TR about his stay in the area. Just a note, I'm pretty sure one is not allowed to hike on the dogsled trail as postholes would be bad for a team running full out. It's either dogs or snowshoes.

This area also gives you the opportunity to bump into Craig MacDonald if he's out grooming the trails. HE is someone who has an immense wealth of knowledge and is always happy to talk traditional winter travel. I've had the pleasure to come across him on the trails over the years and learn something every time I meet him.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:11:08 pm by buddhabelly »

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 09:08:19 pm »
I've only started to use the park again. Since the rest of Ont is free and the vast acreage there is just tons of places to go. I had read the report on the dog sled trail. Much of the Hwy 60 corridor has the same topography. We used to do the Upland Hiking trial but I was much younger. It would kill me now. Flat is good.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline jimmay

• Hauling Sled
  • Jim
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 09:17:04 pm »
I'm not sure where we will set up, but I do know it will not be at the campground.  With the new gear I suspect we will try to head farther down the trail.  I think we are planning to leave around noon Friday so should be there about 3:30, weather permitting.  Where on the airfield are you guys setting up?

Jim

Offline damnyak

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 06:50:14 am »
As much as I would love to set up in the airfield (for better view and to save a couple bucks), This being the first time out with our gear I will be in the campground (This is out trial run), most likely in the Radio free area, But hopefully next year when I will be more prepared with set up/gear/etc we will move out to the air field or elsewhere in the backcountry. However we will be making a trek out to say hi for sure and to check it out!  Can't wait to meet everyone.

Do we use some sort of Internationally recognized hand gesture or a noise. Like the Water Buffaloes?

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 09:24:53 am »
Hhaha yes I like it....a secret handshake! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEgNO0Ayz3E

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 11:48:06 am »
Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. A secret hand shake sounds interesting. lol

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 06:04:11 pm »
Easy enough to find any of us- as I said in another post , just look for the people in wool and canvas, Not the "Citiot" clean $500 parkas :o ;)
I'm hoping to arrive early in the afternoon Friday and plan on leaving Monady AM

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 06:51:32 pm »
I've got most of my stuff packed. I work the next 3 days then off to APP to camp with my imaginary friends from the internet ;D. I'll be down the airfield trail and off to the east of the trail about 50 yards.

Offline canoeal

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 07:54:42 pm »
I'm all packed and should be ready to roll by noon on Friday. See ya there Saturday. Al

Offline jimmay

• Hauling Sled
  • Jim
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 08:57:30 pm »
I am fairly certain I will not be able to make it this year and I am incredibly disappointed.  I have had a real doosey of a flu since Saturday which now seems to have settled into my lungs. However, I no longer have a fever so the doc thinks I am on the mend, but I am reluctant to push my luck this weekend. Have fun guys and please take lots of pictures for the trip report.

Jim