View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Kifaru Stove pipe  (Read 2585 times)

Offline KM

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Kifaru Stove pipe
« on: December 27, 2008, 01:34:19 pm »
Any thoughts on using a Kifaru style stove pipe (as opposed to sectioned or tapered pipe) in an A-frame (Snowtrekker) style tent?

The stove pipe would be at an angle, rather than vertical as in a Kifaru/tipi style application.

Basically it is a sheet of steel rolled lengthwise for transport and width wise for use.

It uses wire rings to keep from unrolling

Galvanized and stainless steel of this type is sold for roof flashing. Not sure if it is tempered.

Please see:

http://www.kifaru.net/stovepipes.htm

Offline North61

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Kifaru Stove pipe
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 05:53:54 pm »
I have similar pipe from Ti-Goat in 4 foot titanium and 8 foot stainless versions.  It's pretty cool stuff and would work fine in any tent.  However, the Ti-Goat is 3" so you would need to rig up an aluminum adapter jack to go in the 5" stove jack of the Snowtrekker.

The one piece pipe could be argued to be safer than sectioned pipe and is easy to pack and easy to use. Draw is minimal for a big stove but can be made to work.

Here is the titanium version in a tarp tent.  I use an elbow to get the right angle.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 06:03:03 pm by North61 »

Offline Rick

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:08:48 am »
I use a 6' section of 3" TiGoat tempered stainless on an angle - no problems.

If you're going to source this material and make your own, please be careful. I've had this tempered stainless cherry red without any issues. I'll check the thickness over the next couple of days and report back.

Offline dks

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:28:49 am »
I don't know if it will work in a standard wall tent, but, I can tell you from a heat perspective the stove pipe is bombproof. I have also had the stove pipe "cherry red" from burning fireplace logs  and normal wood in my Kifaru stove. Cosidering the stove pipe rolls up to the size of a saran wrap tube, it is a great space saver. There is a collar that connects the pipe to the stove so you will need some make some modifications for a wall tent application.