View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Second Winnipeg area winter trip  (Read 6338 times)

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Second Winnipeg area winter trip
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:23:23 am »
I'm Jone's in for another trip soon location does not matter open to suggestions, and maybe add a day. I was thinking about taking the Caddy lake canoe route north as far as we want and camp on shore there are a few spots. Or we could take West hawk lake via East shore to little Indian bay, there is a warming shelter there ans I think travel distance is about 6-7 km on the lake.  My work schedule is somewhat flexible so during the week is OK the only week that in no good is the week of Feb 16 this is Sonja's B-day however I'm sure she will want to go to. Lets make some plans Cheers Grizz.

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Second Winnipeg area winter trip
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:00:44 pm »
Yup, I'm up for it!

I would really like to get into the Mantarion Wilderness zone from Big Whiteshell over to Richie. If we head up Caddy what are the options for getting into South Cross? Unfortunately I am still sorting soil samples this week and then next week is stuffed too as Selena is in Grand Forks from for the Red River Basin Conference so I am dog sitting.

Happy to sort something at the weekend or preferably after the chaos on the 25th or the following weekdays are open.

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:20:48 pm »
Things are going to be a little tight for me. I'll be available for about four or five weeks in the end of Feb/beginning of March. I would be interested in another trip though.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:46:32 am »
So my Hyper CF vet Friend Rick didn't scare you off, He can be the TALK of the town ,but is a really great guy just sometimes a lot to handle in confined spaces with no volume control LOL or concept of personal space. However when the wolves come we just send him LOL and there will be Fur ruffs for all.

It sounds like wilderness stoney might be willing to drive up here too, always a pleasure to meet new people. Keep posted as I think Caddy may be a go Maybe I will take a run up there to see how hard it will be to navigate over the train tracks to south cross lake. Chris if you can get a hold of the canoe route map showing the portage routes we could jump to a smaller lake in the wilderness zone from there. 

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 09:30:32 pm »
Well I went to Caddy lake to scout it and as luck would have it forgot the camera, the wife wanted me home early to go pick up the kid at camp, and could not wait for me to come home so she went without me negating the reason to get up a 5am to pack eat and head back. so Grizz very un happy LOL , but caddy has about 2 feet of snow with some slush at the shores but not enough to seep up. feels real weird walking on it though , The road to the cottages is ploughed so we could skip caddy all together and head to southcross. there is also a road to the north side of westhawk lake THAT COULD CUT THE PULL TO LITTLE INDIAN BAY IN HALF. anyone else have any prefferances Cheers Grizz.

Offline toban_bison

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 04:39:27 pm »
Do you guys have a weekend set yet?

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:50:06 pm »
Not as of yet for dates but were thinking mid to end of Feb where to be determined

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 05:13:43 pm »
Further we get away from the TransCanada the better!

Nothing hearing the roar of semis through the night to put you in the wilderness feeling!

BV

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 10:19:04 pm »
We could always go down the road to Warner lake and camp on the many lakes in Ont no HYW there to ruin your sleep. Just MNR to give greef for walking in Canada LOL, there are really nice areas up there and the road os only traveled by sled ocasionally. should be no problem and would make hauling easy no snoe shoes required just on un broken ground.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 09:26:50 am »
I am trying to get clear clarification on the use of the Werner lake area from MNR, however this is challenging. They are in no hurry to assist with info on the area and My E-mails get kicked back as spam, I have been told we can gain access to the area via water ways and portages/line of least resistance IE up and over the road but not traverse it for any length. It appears that the area was set a side in the 50's and logged as a mineral exploration only and not for recreational use/cottaging. We can take a route from Davidson lake into Ontario heading east and go where ever we choose because of the RIGHT TO NAVIGATE in Canada. This gives us access to the lakes on the North side of the road and depending on what bay we choose to cross at we can use the road to effectually portage over to the next closest Bay. IE navigate RIGHT Any how I plan to make this trip either solo or as a group with or without MNR's HELP Obviously I am not going to be purposely trying to tick of the Officer's if we Come in contact with them as this get's one nowhere fast but I will express MY RIGHT TO NAVIGATE and explain my self in full as to the purpose I am on this Taboo road LOL LOL. If in the bush camping It should Be a simple Hi Bye have a good time see ya. So if anyone is interested please let me know either on this thread or in a PM cheers Grizz.

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 12:58:21 pm »
No worries!

We can follow the canoe route. There are some nice spots along the north shore by the waterfall from Coleman Lake.

Get away from the bureaucracy.

Though if it doesn't cool down any we may be in trouble!

Offline toban_bison

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 02:50:30 pm »
I am still interested in possibly joining you guys, I just need to confirm dates. Let me know when you do.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 04:29:51 pm »
Should have dates soon, going to talk it over with Chris and Jon and my partner Rick and see what works stay posted.cheers Grizz.

Offline toban_bison

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 04:45:00 pm »
Thanks I'll keep a look out then. Shoot me a PM is anything comes up. Thanks.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 01:36:26 pm »
I talked to Chris and the 1-4 of March seems to be good, he is going to try and post link to the map of the area form Google. I hope these dates work for you guys as our season seems to be getting warmer I have been up there in +10c in really deep snow conditions and man is it tough. Jon cannot make the trip due to work, Rick is In with the foam clothes. All are welcome cheers Grizz.