View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: A few in the rain  (Read 8439 times)

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
A few in the rain
« on: January 28, 2013, 03:05:42 PM »
Buddy and I went out for a quick fish today. It started with ice pellets and soon turned to rain. Not a bad day.

First laker

First whitie

Second laker

My buddy had a good day on the ice. We headed home at noon.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: A few in the rain
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:09:32 PM »
Awesome! What lake, if you don't mind me asking, were you fishing? Not that I think I'm anywhere near you. What were you using for bait?

Cheers, Bioguide

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »
We were on Lake Simcoe in Ont. We used a 3" tube jig. Black top white bottom. Large jig inside. 8 lb Floro leader tied to a swivel with a main line of 12 lb Mono. My buddy uses braid.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »
Man ho man, I spend 5h on saturday on a lake that has good pike in the summer.... Not one bite... I must be doing something wrong  >:(

It was -25C with a nice little breeze, we had a great day, considering we didn't catch anything.

Do you have any secret you would like to share ::)

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:27:14 PM »
For Pike try around 12 ft of water. Look for point of land and set up there. Between two saddles like two islands or where the water gets shallow the deep again. Ontario out of doors has a great web site which will help you catch the species you want to target. Ice Shanty. Com is another good one to learn off. A quick strike rig with a dead or live sucker minnow works good.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »
Nice bunch of fish RR.  Those tube jigs are real common around Lake Superior as well.  I was wondering if you ever tip them with minnows or some strips or do you fish them bare?

SW
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »
Thank you ravinerat, It is exactly where i was... we set up all over that transition of deep and shallow, need to try again. We had a few different lures, like Swedish pimples, jigging rapalla and a few other one, I need to get at it again next week end if it warms up, -35 today and a little breeze to cool that down even more.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 08:56:30 PM »
go to the grocery store and get some stinky whole smelt. Use a quick strike rig and just let them sit on bottom.  (Google quick strike rig).

We usually don't tip the tubes with anything. Some of the Yum Yum tubes come with a garlic sent. We also use Bad Boyz and lots of williams lures. We just find what works. I use a Vexilar and i can see the fish checking out my tube. If they aren't taking it  then I switch up to something else. Every day is a new day.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:59:49 PM »
try this article.    http://outdoorcanada.ca/17016/blogs/on-the-water-online/trophy-pike-quick-strike-rigs-and-so-much-more

Maybe Hutchy can give you some pointers. I don't fish pike too much..

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21:57 PM »
Nice looking fish, what are you guys going to do with them? Smoke them? I'm ashamed I haven't gotten out yet and put all the advice you've given me to use yet. Soon, hopefully.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 10:56:04 PM »
Nice!  Lake Simcoe is a fish factory!

I have not fished yet - the lake skiing has been too good!   :)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 01:42:32 AM »
OK, a bunch of dumb questions-
What are you wearing? Is that a snowmobile suit? And what kind of fur hat? Looks really warm.
What kind of fish are those? I take it the skinny one is a pike. Is the other one a lake trout?

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 07:48:15 AM »
Nice looking fish, what are you guys going to do with them? Smoke them? I'm ashamed I haven't gotten out yet and put all the advice you've given me to use yet. Soon, hopefully.

Well they usually get eaten. I don't eat a lot of fish just because my family won't eat it. I only bring home the ones that can't be released. I always say I am going to buy a smoker since the Whities taste best when smoked. The lakers usually make it to the BBQ.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:45 AM »
OK, a bunch of dumb questions-
What are you wearing? Is that a snowmobile suit? And what kind of fur hat? Looks really warm.
What kind of fish are those? I take it the skinny one is a pike. Is the other one a lake trout?

You know there is never a dumb question. The suits we are wearing are Floater Suits. It is like wearing a body PFD. There are many types up to survival suits. In Southern Ont when the ice is new/thin I always wear one. It also keeps the draft from going up your back when standing on the ice all day. Although I have worn it on the snowmobile it doesn't breath and you'll sweat with any exercise. The fur hat Dan is wearing is just Rabbit fur. You can get them at any store like Canadian Tire. The first pic is a Lake Trout. Second pic is a White fish. The third pic is a Lake Trout. Dan is holding both his Lakers.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Zelandonii

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 08:37:46 AM »
Beautiful fisheez!!!

We were north of you on Lake Couchiching on Friday and Sunday perch'in.

Btw, where did you guys access and how far did you walk? How deep were you fishing and how much ice were  you on? Where we were, ice was about 8" in 10-20 FOW.

I usually head out for perch on Simcoe, primarily because I've never iced a laker or whity :( I did once have "fisherman" take me out Big Bay , but he caught a laker and I didn't :(

One day.....