View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: A few in the rain  (Read 8715 times)

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: A few in the rain
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 10:35:42 am »
A tip on the whitefish. When you fillet them take some extra time and cut off the red fat that is right under the skin of the fish. Makes a world of difference in the taste. Hard to beat well prepared white fish in my book.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 11:59:16 am »
I was on Couch from Fri night to Sun morn. My buddy has  a house on the lake and we have a Tourney every year from his place. One of the guys caught a just shy of 2 lb Perch. There  were a few other good sized ones iced.

For the lakers we fished Kemp bay. Almost to Bear Point. WE fish in 100 fow and the ice was anywhere from 5" closer to the bays and 3" in the centre. We were about 4". Bear Point probably had 1000 ppl there on Sunday. I try to find quite bays were no one fishes.

So Fisherman too you out did he? How's he doing? Haven't seen him in a long time. If he didn't get you on fish then it must have been a tough bite that day.  Don't fish on bottom like everyone else. Fish the top 1/3 of the water column for the lakers. The big boys cruise the top eating herring.
Fish the Whities on bottom but make them chase you up. Stop then move another foot up then drop 3'. It was a light bite for the whities.

You can go out from any of the lines off Oro. Just head out to 100 fow or better. Good electronics makes a difference. I go out on week days for Simcoe. Too much of a Gong show on weekends. If you want to come on a week day just PM me.

RR
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:06:53 pm by ravinerat »
Time waits for no one!

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 12:01:41 pm »
A tip on the whitefish. When you fillet them take some extra time and cut off the red fat that is right under the skin of the fish. Makes a world of difference in the taste. Hard to beat well prepared white fish in my book.

Thanks for the tip. Not big on eating the whities unless it is someone with the magic oven.  I'm the only one who eats fish here. My friend smokes his and boy are they great.  Guess I should get a smoker some time soon.

RR
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:05:03 pm by ravinerat »
Time waits for no one!

Offline Zelandonii

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 03:25:05 pm »
Thanks for the tips RR. Fisherman is around and is doing fine. I'm sure he's lurking the forum :) Last I spoke with him, he's prepping his gear for an epic epic winter trip up north.

My family loves eating fish and so does my 3.5yr daughter, eye-ball and all :P It's just unfortunate that I can't be a good provider :( Having said that, I may just take you up on your offer next time I'm in the area. My folks live in Orillia so I'm up there often. I also have a flexible work schedule so a weekday outting is def a possibility.

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 11:02:50 pm »
OK, a bunch of dumb questions-
What are you wearing? Is that a snowmobile suit? And what kind of fur hat? Looks really warm.
What kind of fish are those? I take it the skinny one is a pike. Is the other one a lake trout?

You know there is never a dumb question. The suits we are wearing are Floater Suits. It is like wearing a body PFD. There are many types up to survival suits. In Southern Ont when the ice is new/thin I always wear one. It also keeps the draft from going up your back when standing on the ice all day. Although I have worn it on the snowmobile it doesn't breath and you'll sweat with any exercise. The fur hat Dan is wearing is just Rabbit fur. You can get them at any store like Canadian Tire. The first pic is a Lake Trout. Second pic is a White fish. The third pic is a Lake Trout. Dan is holding both his Lakers.

RR

Thanks RR. Aha. So that's what those suits are. I've seen those on Desperate Catch, the tv show about crab fishing off Alaska. I think the rescue swimmers that jump from helicopters to save people on sinking boats wear those sometimes. I've seen those in videos on how to survive in cold water. Never thought about wearing one fishing. That's a great idea.

We usually don't see trout that big down here, so those fish would make anyone down this way jealous. I have a rabbit fur hat, but mine isn't nearly that furry, judging from the picture. Mine was cheap one I got off eBay.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 10:16:02 am »
The ones that Rescue Personal use are Immersion suits. A bit of difference form the floater suits which are also called Hypothermia suits. Here is a link to Mustang who make a full line of PFD for Recreation to Industrial applacation.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational/immersion-suits?country=23

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Snowwalker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Two is one, one is none
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 10:38:04 am »
Nice job and beautiful fish!  Wish we had lake trout down here
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack." -Rudyard Kipling

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.  A bird will fall frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself"  D.H. Lawrence

"What lies before us and what lies behind us are nothing to what lies within of us"  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 09:16:41 pm »
The ones that Rescue Personal use are Immersion suits. A bit of difference form the floater suits which are also called Hypothermia suits. Here is a link to Mustang who make a full line of PFD for Recreation to Industrial applacation.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational/immersion-suits?country=23

RR

I saw those, thanks for the link. I saw that Helly Hansen makes them too. Theirs look like the ones you are wearing with the pads and all on them.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 04:34:58 pm »
Here is a good link for those interested.

http://www.timeonthewater.ca/trout_stages_of_aggression.html

RR
Time waits for no one!