View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Hot camping, question?  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Srobocop

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Hot camping, question?
« on: January 01, 2009, 03:49:26 pm »
so i get the basic idea of hot camping, but i have a question about food and animal safety, most of you cook your food inside your tent on the stove, I've learned when i was little to cook away from the tent and to not keep any food in the tent in case of any animals that may try to get into your tent to get at the food. Am i missing something?

Offline Miz Moosie

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Hot camping, question?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 04:27:34 pm »
The only animal issues I've faced have been mice and voles that creep out from under the snowpack and bask in the warmth under the woodstove!  They certainly seem to enjoy the warmth (me too!).  I'll toss 'em a few scraps.  I've had it happen on a couple of occasions.

Bears are sound asleep.  I did talk to a family camping on the ice of a creek last year that had a muskrat crawl into their tent from the hole in the ice under their woodstove.  I've heard anecdotal reports of crazy mushrats from others as well.

Hot tent camping features readily available refrigeration  ;D and garbage incineration.  Life is good...
2008 Winter Rendezvous "Golden Spatula Award" Winner (Winning recipe:  filet mignon with wine, shallots, garlic and dijon mustard served over orzo with butterd brussel sprouts and Black Currant Mead)

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 08:39:46 pm »
Other than the voles, spiders....
Only animal encounter we've noticed in camp besides Grey Jays during the day was this fellow.

Only came close to the tent door to peer inside then rummaged through the pit we made for any food scraps.

Not so sure I'd want to take the Smokey Lounge out for any Summer outings though...... ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 08:46:03 pm by Georgi »
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 03:24:39 pm »
The recent discussions about confusing postings has now been resolved.   :)

Thanks to folks for their comments.    We now return to the regularly scheduled posting....Carry on.    :)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline steven

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 06:28:42 am »
hi folks.hey Georgi great pic...specially in snow fall..

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
cook inside?
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:17:50 am »
 I have to say a word or two here because I like to be inside my shelter for cooking in bad weather.
The worst thing a camper can do to other campers is to have a bear find food to eat inside his tent. Bears who find food in a tent will be a hazzard to he next campers he finds. It is a matter of time, if they get the habit they will cause alot of trouble for a lot of people and eventually get shot by park wardens.

We cannot do much about the smell of food, it is on our breath, we smell edibile. We do however have unfriendly reactions when a bear comes around and hopefully bears learn to avoid us and they will get shot if they don't. If a bear gets pepper sprayed and no good food to eat he will remember to avoid us. The worst bears are friendly bears in a camp ground or predatory bears in the far back country then bear spray and a shot gun are in nice to have if you want to come out alive . Our pioneer ancestors would not think for a moment of going into the woods without a gun, they did not have pepper spray. I have read that pepper spray will stop a bear as good or better than the gun.

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 10:41:29 am »
Frogs,

I woke day 2 of a trip to discover that my stove had thawed some frogs out from their winter slumber. I hope they re-froze w/o harm.

Kevin
Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967

www.empirecanvasworks.com

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 12:33:29 pm »
It's surprising what can wake up in the winter, a bunch of us go canoeing in an area where the current keeps the water ice free until mid Janurary. One late November, after about a month of freezing weather and 6" of snow, we accidently woke one up :o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prj9NYZaImo (see about 1.20)
For more info, see this http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/satoyama/hibernation.html
Now I'm the first to admit this is rare, but it does happen :-\ Apparently bears will sometimes den under fir trees too if there aren't any more suitable den sites, they'll just push debris into a "nest" and snuggle in.
The activity schedule is very different in eastern North America where acorns, hickory nuts, beech nuts, and other foods become available in fall and some foods remain available all winter. Bears there are genetically programmed to delay hibernation until late November or December and hibernate less than 5 months. Hibernation there is typically not as deep, and some bears emerge to forage during winter thaws. Food sometimes remains available throughout winter there, and some bears continue foraging throughout winter.

From the north American Bear Center-  http://www.bear.org/website/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=191:5-stages-of-activity-and-hibernation&catid=61&Itemid=122

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 02:05:22 pm »
Deep winter camping doesn't generally mean Bears. In Montana we would see racoons, opossum, and of course field mice. A few years back several hunters were injured or killed when they startled bears late in the fall. The hunters that survived admitted they were tracking close to thick brush and didn't look out for berries. That previous spring was poor and the summer was even worse on the bears especially around Yellowstone/Boseman area.  When I snowshoed in March, below zero temps and blizzards, the bears were out already searching for food. The park Rangers warned me when I got my back country permit.

If you are concerned about critters big and small, follow summer camp/food rules. I check with locals and park officials to see activity and seasonal conditions. Armed with this I have photos of WILDLIFE but no run ins. Bear safes and treed bags when in doubt!

At the end of winter camping and in early spring I clean my tents and any other non food/ multi-season camping gear. This cuts down on my attraction level. Of course you all have seen my photo, no problems there.
Avid outdoorsman? My son and I snowshoe and winter camp with a four season tent and no stove. When my daughter comes along we drag sleds holding the campfire style tent I made and my military style Yukon stove. We canoe and kayak long trips in the early spring till Thanksgiving. That's my son's and my last float of the canoe season as we celebrate his birthday.  My daughter more than my son loves climbing. My sore neck!
Along with the tent, I've made packs,paddles and the poor man's RV from an 18' boat trailer. It now carries our canoes, kayaks, mountain bikes, camping ger and the TeePee pole