View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: BC skis and universal bindings  (Read 7320 times)

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
BC skis and universal bindings
« on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:13 pm »
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my last trip report http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=2446.0 that it was my last trip for the 2011 - 2012 season. I know there are several weeks of possible good trip weather ahead however I go under the knife next week and will be out of commission for a while. Nothing serious… actually the surgery should allow me to increase my activity level in the long run and more specifically--- ski. This brings me to the purpose of this post. Some of you are aware that I have asked many questions about BC skis and bindings and I thank you for your comments and suggestions. Based on the comments and a lot of research/reading on skis and ski bindings I made a decision and have purchased both. The skis were on sale (end of the season sale) and I came across a binding similar to the Berwin but I think will be better than the Berwin... at least based on reviews. So in my current state of excitement and in anticipation of the 2013 - 2014 trekking season I wanted to let someone (you all) know what I ended up with.

Fischer S-Bound 88 skis

Based on the lightweight S-series skis, these skis get lighter without reducing strength with an Air Channel Core - a hollowed out combination of wood and fiberglass. Meanwhile, a Sintec base with a grippy positive pattern takes the struggle out of your ascents.

Features:
Fiberglass wood cores feature air channels that keep weight down while maintaining good strength and durability
Features 5/10 Nordic Rocker camber that gives the skis great turning characteristics and control in variable snow conditions
5/10 Nordic Rocker indicates that when pressure is applied the ski tips lift 5mm and the location of the ski-to-snow contact point at the front of the skis moves back 10cm
Offtrack Crown waxless pattern on the bases provides good grip while you're touring in fresh snow
Full metal edges dig into hard snow and ice to optimize control on steep terrain
Specs:
Length:189 cm
Dimensions: 88 / 68 / 78 millimeters
Ski camber: XC Double camber
Ski terrain: XC Groomed and ungroomed trails
Metal edge: Yes
Top sheet: Sandwich cap
Core: Wood/air
Base: Waxless
Weight: (pair, 179cm) 2,090 grams

The binding I did purchase is the Plateau Flexi by Icetrek Expeditions http://www.icetrek.com/index.php?id=778

A "runner up" binding I thought of purchasing was the X-trace by Hagan http://www.scandinavianoutdoorstore.com/en/laskettelu-ja-hiihto/murtomaahiihtositeet/pivot-retkeilyside/

Cheers, Bioguide
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:37:32 pm by bioguide »

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: BC skis and universal bindings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:30:52 am »
Hi BioGuide,
Best wishes for your surgery!

Skis:  I have never seen the Fischer S-bounds in person, so I am looking forward to a full report, with photos of course!  :)

In your list I did not see kicker skins.  I highly recommend you purchase kicker skins because there will be times across all conditions, deep fresh to packed hard, that a waxless base will not be able to grip and pull a sled, or will not grip while just touring.  They have saved my bacon more times than I can say.  Kickers pack small and light.  Just before applying them, you place the bag inside your jacket to warm for several minutes in advance before peeling them back and applying them.  They work excellent on waxless skis.  Basically skins are a must have.  I have Black Diamond kicker skins and have had good performance.  They come in various widths to suit your skis.  When purchasing, also buy a block of glop stopper wax.  This is applied maybe once or twice a season, and keeps them hydrophobic to keep the ice off them so they stay slippery in the glide.

Bindings:  Thanks for posting that link to those Icetrek Flexi bindings.  That's a brand I was not aware of, and I am interested in those after reading about them.  I like the Plateau model you posted, which does not have the aluminum boot rim.  I am guessing the aluminum is more for a hard shell boot, and might grind against a soft pac boot or mukluk, but these Plateaus look like they thought of that.  There will be less lateral support and some boot movement with just straps, but if just hauling sled and touring over the flats, they look like they might be good.
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:25:09 am »
Hi Hoop, While I didn't include them in my original post I did purchase kicker skins (Black Diamond GlideLite Mohair Mix Kickers).

I will look into the glop stopper wax you suggested.

BTW, I truly appreciate the input you and others on this forum have provided me over the past few years. Thank you.

Cheers, Bioguide

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:49:25 am »
Those are nice looking bindings. I just ordered a new pair of Berwin's for my Trak Bushwackers from LLBean. They were offering a 30% off free shipping deal so I took it. I would have seriously considered one of these bindings but this post was a day late and I was a dollar short, LOL! Enjoy.

SW
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:51:31 pm »

Here is the broken photo link

and link to their web site: http://www.icetrek.com/plateau-bindings.html

I'm looking forward to using these this winter.

Cheers, Bioguide

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:03:43 pm »
Those bindings look interesting but at $200 a little steep for me.

I have access to some 3mm UHMWPE. I wonder if I can make something similar?

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Online yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 05:27:03 pm »
IMO, the double camber is not ideal for most bc skiing as you will be more concerned with traction than glide.  The latest models of S Bounds have gone to single camber and climb MUCH better without sacrificing glide.  Last year I did a side by side comparison  of my 5 year old S Bounds with the 2012 model.   I did three trials on each ski of climbing a 30' section and then coasting down, marking how far I glided.  The new SBounds climbed and glided better!  As for the kicker skins,  why bother.  The waxless pattern will get you up moderate inclines, and for steeper inclines, get full skins.