View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Started my Anorak today  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Started my Anorak today
« on: January 03, 2009, 08:57:29 pm »
I spent Friday roaming(not really roaming I was on a mission) the mean streets of Thunder Bay and the best I could come up with is painters canvas. I also picked up the canvas drop clothes from Cambodian Tire. I think they are the same material. If anything the painters canvas is a tighter weave.

I am not going to follow the Conover's plan exactly simply because I can't understand them fully because I have never sewn.

Also their plans are for a mens medium. I am a Large with two big X's in front so I am kinda guessing where to add and how much as well as trying to figure out where not to add.

For those who have done their own sewing, not you Glen because we know your idea of sewing involves pulling out your wallet, I have a few questions....

What type of stitch did you use? Can you post pictures of the stitching? For those that have used the Canvas drop clothes, did they work for you?
Colder is better

Offline Malek

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Started my Anorak today
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:54:52 pm »
Rob:
A couple of hints and techniques for ya - I also ventured down this road last year.
First off - I did make a grid paper and enlarged the Conover pattern mannually - a matter of numbering the squares and going from small to big - this way you can make it any size you want. I think I made my square blocks a little larger and hence it all enlarges to the the same proportions.

I only made the hood double - everything else is a single layer - otherwise it would have gotten too heavy for my liking. If you don't double the pattern, especially for the front, you'll have to play around with the pocket somewhat as the openings get quite a little bit more complicated - took some reading and trial and error to get them to line up. If you don't double the front, consider putting the pocket flap on the inside then it keeps the front as one single piece of material and the flaws will be on the inside.

Once you have your pattern traced onto the cotton, cut carefully and as soon as you have the pattern pieces cut, take them each to your sewing machine and select a large zig zag stitch width (5) and a stitch length of about 4. Zig Zag around the exterior of every piece of the pattern - this is to keep the stuff from fraying as you handle the pieces. If you don't do this, you'll note that it will fray quite badly.

I used regular polyester thread for attaching the pieces, with a straight stitch of about 4 in length but then did all the top stiching with some extra thick thread. Had lots of trouble with that, as it will take a large needle - jeans needles 100 or 120 size to make a hole for the thread to go all the way down and catch the bottom thread.

Also, press your seams - yes get the iron out - I learned this the hard way too - as pansy as it sounds, the pressed seam lies much flatter and is much easier to sew through multiple layers.
Otherwise, if you need to rip a seam open, get some double sided razor blades (paint scraper variety) much faster than the stitch ripper! :) have at her.......

Here's a couple pics to keep you going.

Final product

Front pocket flaps - without the second front lining, you need to so something with the ends of the pocket flaps.

Hood and front triangle. I opted to put a velcro tie across the front. When the front is open, the velcro tie held out of the way with another velcro fastener on it's back - next pic.

Velcro tie held back to allow front to open.

Malek

Offline dks

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:21:41 am »
That looks like damn good quality there! Impressive! Do you like the double layer hood? I have an Empire with the single layer hood and it seemed to be fine for me.

Nice work on your anorak.

Offline Malek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 02:59:56 pm »
DKS:
I only doubled the hood to ensure that the seams were hidden on the inside of the double layer - nothing like having stiff cold seams scratching you. However had I to do it again, I would follow Hoop's suggestion and double the inside of the hood up with a layer of fleece that extends down over the back of my shoulders.
If I can get a hold of some fur, I will also be making Pake's modification to the front of the hood.
I have an old army Parka that has the tunnel front with fur on it - nothing like looking through that in a snow storm and head on wind!

Malek

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:40:33 pm »
So the prototype is done. Sewed the sleeves and hood on inside out so had to cut them off and do it over.

Struggled with the gusset. Couldn't figure out how to sew that on and as a result it looks kinda effed up.

I already started it before I read Maleks post about doing the edges so they don't fray. Yikes what a mess.

I made my hood way bigger than the Conovers and I am glad I did. Once you fold over for a draw cord or wire it shortens the hood quite a bit. Now I have a reason to go fox hunting so I can have a fur lined hood. What about rabbit fur instead of the fleece for the hood lining?

Conovers say you need 9 yards for a Men's medium. However 3 metres looks like it would be plenty for a single layered Anorak XXXL.

Oh, and my sewing technique is not even close to yours Malek. When I am done, if it stays together I am happy.
Colder is better

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 04:33:46 pm »
Anorak number two was finished today. This one turned out way better.

The gusset work still need to be better but each time I am learning.

I did not use a straight stitch, but rather a wide stitch because I was unable to do edge stitching to prevent fraying.

It is still very basic with no pockets and now draw cord for the hood.

I spent more time ****ing with the sewing machine clearing jams than I did sewing. I could not get the button hole thingy to work so I have no draw cord on the hood.

I need a sash!

Took it for a spin in the backyard with the snowshoes. I hiked over to Harlan's place but he was not there, so I hijacked his sled and took it back to the house.

Sleeves need to be tightened around the wrists.

Overall I ma very happy with model number two and now the kids and wife want their own.

Another Saturday night spent sewing, egads what is my life becoming!!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 05:37:35 pm by Rob »
Colder is better

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 09:27:09 am »
Rob

Glad to hear that the anorak turned out ok.  Lucky for me the girlfriend can sew and she built mine last year. after building the anorak we talked about it and decieded that the next one would be single layer only and a different material. I purchased what I was told was a cotton canvas think I got *#@%$* over on this. I did a wash of the material priour to cutting and sewing it and found that it become very elastic and would stretch a lot. Not having the time or the stores to find better stuff we built it anyway.

As for a sash the museum in Manitoba Museum  www.manitobamuseum.ca/ sell them in the store. Don't know the price

Or you can make your own sash --  www.northwestjournal.ca/sash.html

Jeff
Kenora Ontario
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 09:31:43 am by White Wolf »

Offline Canoedog

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • canoedog.ca
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 09:46:36 am »
I bought my sash from the Metis Culture and Heritage Centre a couple years back. Great service and pleasant to deal with on the phone. I see their website is under renovation right now and the store link (Metis traders) is down right now but....
http://www.metisresourcecentre.mb.ca/
Old Fort William in Thunder Bay also has an online store with sashes
http://www.fortwilliamgifts.com/store/
Cheers
Sid
"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going" - anon.

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 04:21:08 pm »
I fashioned a finger woven sash for myself some 15 years past, it is long enough to go twice around a-mid-ship, no mean feat in my case, tie, and yet hang to the knee; the sash is just shy of 4 inches wide and took me 6 weeks of frustrated weekends and evenings to complete. I shant make another unless in dire straights. Herself, sweet kind heart that she is, makes sashes on occasion upon a home constructioned inkle loom; a much easier and faster, if slightly less attractive, method of making sashes (no chevrons with the inkle loom).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:45:56 am by Haggis »
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 12:48:04 am »
Malek:   Your anorak looks amazing.  Have you considered starting a side business making anoraks and other durable and practical clothing for winter tripping?  Great job!!

John's cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline FlatbowMB

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 11:13:04 am »
Malek,

Beautiful work!  Where did you get the patterned webbing use at the bottom?

Offline Malek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 05:21:31 pm »
Hey guys:
Thanks for the compliments....
Cousin Pete - the side business - well - thought about it and am finding it tough just to get my stuff made .... seems that darn job - the one that puts the bread on the table - is interfering plenty! (perhaps I could be tempted though...mh)

FlatbowMB:
That ribbon was a lucky find at Fabricland - 50 cents a meter with 50% off to boot. I bought all they had....don't get any ideas ...it's already gone! I'm looking fo rmore too.

Malek

Offline FlatbowMB

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 08:02:09 pm »
Hopefully it's not the Winnipeg Fabricland that got cleaned out  :(

Offline fritz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 07:27:34 pm »
Hi
New here
Looking for a pattern to mak my own Anorak. Looking for something pretty complete suggesting materials etc
tks
fritz

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 01:41:02 am »
I made my Anorak from 10oz. preshrunk cotton duck. Now its tough to kill a cotton duck cause you have to be sneaky.  Any way I used preshrunk due to sweat and precip I didn't want to have to sell mine to a midget and start again. Through trial and errors, I found it best to add girth to the plans using the differences between my dimension and the plans.
       Mine still fits loose and lets some breeze through to keep me from over heating while dragging a sled, but it I don't chill when I stop for early spring Griz in Yellowstone!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lonegreeneagle/AnorakAndUnderCampShirtFleece
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:20:00 am by lonegreeneagle »
Avid outdoorsman? My son and I snowshoe and winter camp with a four season tent and no stove. When my daughter comes along we drag sleds holding the campfire style tent I made and my military style Yukon stove. We canoe and kayak long trips in the early spring till Thanksgiving. That's my son's and my last float of the canoe season as we celebrate his birthday.  My daughter more than my son loves climbing. My sore neck!
Along with the tent, I've made packs,paddles and the poor man's RV from an 18' boat trailer. It now carries our canoes, kayaks, mountain bikes, camping ger and the TeePee pole