View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: It aint over until.....  (Read 2843 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
It aint over until.....
« on: April 19, 2013, 05:36:50 PM »
We just got walloped with a winter storm last night and today - mid April, who'd a thunk it?!    Got a foot of heavy snow, and had winds of 65km/hour, and I have 3 foot drifts in my driveway and cannot drive in!  Snow plow plowed me out too!

I had not allocated any winter camping time for this time of year, and my work schedule is full so I cannot go out and play.  I would love to get out for one more camp but I can't. The lake ice is probably unsafe or questionable, and the weight of this snow will weigh it down with more slush and spider holes forming.  This snow is "wasted" here this time of year!   :)   I will go X-C skiing at the club this weekend though!  Trails will be good!

I am sure our northern folks are laughing and still have a good month of winter left anyways, but this is unusual where I live.   The warblers and other insectivorous songbirds are due back on migration in 3 weeks when the leaves start to pop out, but man its still winter here!   :o
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: It aint over until.....
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 11:11:15 PM »
I'm going out skiing too tomorrow, first thing in the morning.  Pretty good for mid April near the Twin Cities of Minnesota.

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 09:50:27 AM »
Here in North Bay I was out snowshoeing last weekend, and crossed a lake without a second thought. Good conditions for that time of year. However this week we have had a lot of rain and that has taken out much of the snow. On the other hand it is snowing right now!

I have enjoyed the elongated spring, so different from the last couple of years...

Kinguq.

Offline LodgePole

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »
Winter is all done in eastern central NH. patches of snow in the woods is it. Just wet and getting ready for bug season. The high places on the Presidential still have ice and snow. Most lakes are un-safe here if they have ice still.

be safe. It's a bad time of year for swimming :D  LP

Offline michel

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »
You can come this way Hoop .went snowshoeing yesterday and with the Ojibway long snowshoes we did stay right on top and the ice is great for skiing.So I am going for trout fishing this coming Tuesday.It is 3km of great skiing to get there. 

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 10:30:35 PM »
You can come this way Hoop .went snowshoeing yesterday and with the Ojibway long snowshoes we did stay right on top and the ice is great for skiing.So I am going for trout fishing this coming Tuesday.It is 3km of great skiing to get there. 

Please post some pics of the trout if you catch any!  :)  Maybe some pics of the skiing too!
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline michel

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 12:29:50 PM »
Please post some pics of the trout if you catch any!  :)  Maybe some pics of the skiing too!   I have been lazy for taking picture lately but since I enjoy so much looking at picture and video from this site I guest I should contribute , so I will. 

Offline Mike

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 06:02:38 AM »
Just two words, SICK and TIME :-)
Mike

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 07:38:43 AM »