View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Finnish Wartime Photograph Archive  (Read 36924 times)

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Finnish Wartime Photograph Archive
« on: May 01, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »
The Defence Forces publishes wartime photographs on the internet
The Defence Forces' Photographic Centre will publish around 170,000 wartime photographs on the internet. The collection "From the front line to the home front 1939-1945" can be found on the internet at the address SA-kuva.fi. The photographic material is made available to all Finnish people by the Defence Forces.

www.sa-kuva.fi

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Finnish Wartime Photograph Archive
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 04:17:02 AM »

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »
Thanks Mangrove for posting those photos and the link.  I scrolled through hundreds of the photos.  Very interesting.  In my home here, Thunder Bay, Ontario, we have a big Finnish community, and lots of Finn heritage immediately south of me in the northern Midwest States.  I am sure thousands of folks of Finn heritage around here will be enjoying going through these photos.
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 07:55:33 AM »
Thanks Mangrove for posting those photos and the link.

No problem! Indeed there are very interesting photographs among the collection and they are even adding more during the future months. Due to the fact that one has to use Finnish search words for searching specific photographs, I am willing to help if you are interested of finding particular type of photographs.

Offline customknife

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Warm and dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
That bow saw in the top image is huge.  These are interesting photos and there is something about black and white images that captures the imagination.  I scanned through a couple hundred of these images and any many look like a great outdoor adventure...until you consider these men were at war.  Too bad that we don't have a translate button for the Finish descriptions :-)

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »
That bow saw in the top image is huge.

The one on the photograph is quite standard pre-war saw type. Base on the texts, it seems most of these photographs were taken for educational purposes. They illustrate the proper way to sharpen the saw, how to saw the logs etc.

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 11:03:27 PM »
I enjoyed seeing all the Mosin Nagant rifles.  I have a couple of them and I admire their beauty everyday.  I was surprised to see as many Russian models as Finnish models of the 91/30 type. As far as I know the Finns didn't use the Russian type slings except if they were captured rifles.  Someday I'd like to own a Finnish Mosin Nagant but they are a lot more money. 

Offline customknife

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Warm and dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »
Just watched a video of a guy shooting a Mosin Nagant at 1000 yards. Best run was 3 hits out of 5 shots.  Good shooting and an accurate rifle.  Never heard of this make before, so I Googled it and found several videos on this gun.

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 12:10:12 AM »
The connection between Russia, Finland, and the Mosin Nagant rifle is interesting. Basically when Finland won their independence from Russia and kicked them out, they took over the armories and kept the Mosin Nagant in service and soon were producing their own Mosin Nagant rifles that they used at least throughout WWII.

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 05:23:13 AM »
Cardboard and plywood tents manufactured by Finnish companies were popular among Finnish and German soldiers. They were also used to house Soviet POWs.

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »
The ABC of Finnish skiing:

1) Roasting and tarring the skis.

2) Applying wax.

3) A skier with a smile "after skiing 55 kilometers".

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »
Those are great photos!

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Pyreneo

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 11:56:11 AM »
Thanks !

I think that most of men have "normal socks" and the firt man have "russian socks", is it good ?
Could read english but difficult to write it.

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 10:39:12 AM »
I think that most of men have "normal socks" and the firt man have "russian socks", is it good ?

Footwraps are either the best or the worst foot protection there is, which one it is depends on how you wrap them around the feet! Finnish Defence Forces thought they were so good they resisted the change to socks until the 1980s, although one have used socks previously if they owned a pair.

No 81892. The Finnish Reindeer Corps. Reindeer is an animal still utilised by the Finnish Police to educate the people of Finland. Notice the traditional Saami sled design. The Finnish and Karelian ones are rather similar, but lower. The "lasso" (FI: suopunki) he is wearing can be used to catch deserting reindeers.

No 133052. A practical patrol saw hidden inside a leather belt.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:29:25 PM by Mangrove »

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »
Thanks Mangrove for this ongoing archival photo series!  I am really enjoying this! 

I had no idea that footwraps were in continuous use up until recently.  I thought that knit socks go way way back, and that socks and boots are one of the main things that armies manufacture/buy first and in mass quantities!   :)  However I can imagine that footwraps were easier to dry, as that Wiki article mentions.

Really cool that reindeer were used.  Very practical, they can feed themselves, winter is not a problem, and if food is short, well you have a ready source of meat!

Was that saw in the belt standard issue for all soldiers?  If so, that's brilliant!  Self sufficiency at all times, even when supply lines are cut.  Mors Kochanski mentions this same technique, modifying a leather belt to carry a saw blade.  For very ultralight travel he trains on the skills for making a bucksaw in the bush, and with practice, I think he mentioned you should be able to make one in about 20 minutes!