View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter Camping Symposium 2013  (Read 10405 times)

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Camping Symposium 2013
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 04:42:46 pm »
That would be great Dan, hope to see you there......

By the way, does CCS have any plans to produce any specifically winter camping gear?
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline dan cooke

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 09:29:52 pm »
I have been making Mukluks for 3 decades. Last year I tested a new tent design that worked well, and I hope to have several winter tent designs in production by then. The first production 8 sided tent is cut and in process of being sewn.  I have been making toboggan bags on a custom Basis. Got a idea or two I want to test out this winter.

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 06:25:10 pm »
I should have asked about any "new" winter gear. I had a good look at your winter tent at last years Winter Camping Symposium. I was very impressed (as usual) and wondered if your fertile mind had anything in mind. I look forward to seeing any new creations.

Offline Barbarossa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 01:29:23 pm »
www.muskratmetalworks.com

LL

I hope to make it there to meet some of you guys but I doubt I can make it this year. I am digging these stoves and can't wait to see the company take off.
Why I love winter so much more than summer- You can always put more clothes on or start a fire to get warm in winter but you can only take off so many clothes in summer before you get sunburned or arrested.

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 11:29:05 pm »
Barbossa, gotta make it man! Hope you can!

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 08:13:16 pm »
Is it just me, or are others having problems with the Winter Camping Symposium.  They have a PayPal connection for registering this year. I don't have a PayPal account anymore and can't get the registration to accept my credit card.

There is no other way to register (even though they say there is on their Facebook page), and no way to do it by snail mail or anything else. I've tried to contact them through the email address and get no answer.

In addition, the website information seems to be coming together slowly. Very little info on there. Very few seminars or workshops mentioned, no info on a kids program. I know Hoop is giving a presentation on choosing axes, but it's not mentioned on the website yet.

It's down to less then a month to go but I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated. I'm trying to get others to come but they are also leary due to lack of updated info.

Offline Mike

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 09:46:03 pm »
I had no problem registering. You don't need to use a paypal account to register. I have one but I choose not to use it. I have already received my statement and my registration fee is listed as paypal. I believe they are only using it to make because Paypal as the infrastructure to handle credit card transactions. I agree specific info is lacking so I hope more information will soon be posted.

I also sent an email and received a reply. I will be arriving on Wednesday and I wanted to see if that was okay.

Not sure why you are having so much difficulty. Don't give up keep trying. The more the merrier.

Spoke to Don Kevalus of Four Dog and he is planning on coming up.
Mike

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 01:59:25 pm »
Things are improving. They've now added a link for "on site" payment. You can now register and pay when you get there. This solves the problem of the PayPal connection not accepting my credit card.

They've also added another seminar to the list, so I'm assuming that there will probably be more website updates in the days to come.

Offline customknife

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Warm and dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 11:48:14 pm »
Just registered for this year's Winter Camping Symposium.  Looking forward to meeting many of you in person.  Cheers!

Offline JonB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 01:24:25 pm »
Geographically closer is good, but I wish it wasn't so close to MN Deer hunting season.  I would love to go, but I'm always at the shack getting ready for hunting.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:28:56 pm by JonB »

Offline customknife

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Warm and dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 10:45:52 pm »
Just returned from the Symposium.  It was a good time.  Made a new friend who hangs in the same part of the Michigan UP as I do and it was great fun getting to know him.  Also made (almost complete) a set of Mocs with the folks from Lure of the North.  My fingers took a beating from this project as I am ever so clumsy, but Dave and Kielyn were very patient. The patience was much appreciated. I'll wear these this winter with great pride. By the way, Hoop was a rock star during his axe handling class.  Well done.  Cheers.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 08:15:08 am »
Ah shucks Customknife, thanks for those kind words on the axe class!   :)

It was another excellent Winter Camping Symposium.  Congratulations to the organizers who did an absolutely superb job!  Behind the scenes they were making sure things went smoothly, doing the 1001 things that have to be done at a moments notice, and selflessly sacrificing their own time and attendance at seminars and workshops for the benefit of the attendees.

Thank-you to the sponsors who were very generous. 

Thanks to all the instructors and speakers who volunteer their time and share their knowledge and skills to provide a great selection of seminars and workshops.

The vendors tables were well stocked with all those standard high quality winter camping tools and clothing that is really nice to see all in one place.  You cannot find this selection in any retail store.  Symposium discount prices were very attractive!  There are several manufacturers there, and you can talk with these people who actually design and make the gear.  You could outfit yourself very well if you were looking for gear. 

The facilities at Camp Icaghowan were also great.  For the first time ever I got to use oak in my woodstove!  Burns good!  The firewood shed was abundantly stocked and all the hot tenters had plenty of free wood for their woodstoves (we got frost overnight so the heat was nice firing up the stove in the morning).  There was a centrally located outdoor open fire area gathering place where people could come and go, cook, share stories, and bask by the flames all day and evenings with that lovely burning oak.  I noticed many kids running around having a good time too in the forest and fields, and the kids program looked to be a success.  Good to see the next generations attending.

Saturday night keynote speakers Dave and Kielyn Marrone, of Lure of the North, held us in a far north winter spell with a beautiful multi-media presentation of their northern Ontario boreal forest trekking adventures. They gave us a sneak peak of their upcoming film - can't wait to see it!  Friday night speaker Bear Paulson showed us how to travel heavy but live well-stocked and happy in the Boundary Waters.

The evening socials were fun, and Saturday night bands The Last Revel Band, and the Dead Horses had the joint hopping with great tunes, and I would love to see them come back next year.   

It was great to see old friends and to make new ones.  See you at next year's Symposium....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:25:44 am by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 12:55:43 pm »
I also had a wonderful time at the WCS. It is great to be able to learn and share with others who have similar interests.

Offline DMarrone

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 07:29:58 pm »
We're back and unpacking from a long drive home, and still glowing from a fantastic weekend surrounded by a pile of like-minded winter camping enthusiasts.  Thanks (Kie says it too) to everyone who made us feel so welcome at this event - what a fantastic little community we have!

Kielyn has posted a few photos from the event here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.691457230866099.1073741832.315585368453289&type=1&l=d11c9ff754

It was great to meet other WT forum members and now have a face to the names, and also a great opportunity to interact with the folks making much of the gear that we're using, and the folks using the gear we're making. 

I have to echo what Hoop said: the organizers did an absolutely fantastic job, and if there were any hurdles in transitioning to a new location this year, I certainly didn't notice them.  Ryan, Matt, Chad and the rest are clearly a passionate and hard working bunch and went out of their way numerous times before and during the event to keep things humming smoothly. 

I'd also like to thank those who participated in our moccasin workshop - we squeezed a two-day workshop into one (long) day, and Kielyn and I were very thankful for the upbeat and flexible attitudes we had that helped to make this condensed workshop work out.  If you're reading, I want to see a photo of your finished mocs!

My only caveat is that I had my nose so buried into our workshop and presentation that I was left with so much I wished I'd been able to do and see - but there's always next time!

It was great to see old friends and to make new ones.  See you at next year's Symposium....

Couldn't have said it better myself!
Lure of the North
http://lureofthenorth.com

Offline kie

• Vendor - Supporter
    • View Profile
    • www.lureofthenorth.com
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 08:10:07 pm »
I don't usually post on here but I have to say that I was very touched with the feedback and the overwhelming positive response with our  presentation and workshop. It was great to meet everyone and I hope to see you all next year!!! Thank you so much for your support, as it means so much to Dave and I.

Cheers!

Kielyn ;D
There isn't a place I'd rather be.