View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Benson Lake / George H. Crosby-Manitou State Park  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Dick Waskey

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Benson Lake / George H. Crosby-Manitou State Park
« on: October 09, 2013, 01:04:20 pm »
Hey!  Just wondering if anyone has been up to George H. Crosby-Manitou State Park.  I'm thinking of going in around the first of the year... I've been there before and it was a good experience...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:22:22 am by Dick Waskey »
Mn Lost Boy
AKA "Two Beads", AKA "Sputze"

Having peeked momentarily into paradise below zero, their mundane lives could never again be quite the same.   -Rutstrum

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
Re: Beson Lake / George H. Crosby-Manitou State Park
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:20:54 pm »
Hi Dick, one of my favorite places.  I was there in January 2012 and had a nice 3 day camp.  I have posted a trip report from that outing under "Trip Reports, page 3, posted in March 2012.  I was planning to camp again in January 2013 but the weekend we planned to go winter happened to completely turn upside down with a bunch of serious rain followed by falling temps. Highly unusual weather. We cancelled at the last minute and it was good we did because everything went from rain to slush to solid ice. The tent would have been frozen in badly.  I've also been on the Lake in summer just paddling around. It is a pretty little spot. In winter, we have camped up on the ridge near the outlet. I'd rather camp down on the lake but the Park wants winter campers to use the summer sites.

-SW 
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez