View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Madshus Glittertind??  (Read 9170 times)

Offline Gunny

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Madshus Glittertind??
« on: October 13, 2013, 11:05:47 pm »
Thinking of picking up a set of Madshus Glittertind's.  Anybody have any experience with these?  Thinking about pairing them with NNN-BC bindings, thinking they would be good for just kicking around locally in the fields and ungroomed trails.  Also have a pair of Karhu 3-pin boots that we R&D'd years ago for the USMC, might pair them with voile' 3 pin mountaineer.  Thoughts?  I've never used Madshus ski's, but hear good things about the MGV waxless pattern and (i think) camber and half?  Just looking for some input as I'm relatively inexperienced and back in the northland after a 20+ year absence and excited as we approach the winter season.......thanks.......
"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Madshus Glittertind??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 01:21:12 am »
Would love a picture of those R&D boots
Never heard anything bad about that ski
So long as the price is right, there should also be some surplus 10th Mountain skis cheap, they are a better all-round ski if using the 3-pin binding. If buying new binding and you think you will ever be doing serious turns get the better 3-pin plus hardwire binding especially if you think you will graduate to plastic boots

Offline Harstad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 04:55:07 am »
I have been using the Glittertind ski for a few years, paired with a NNN-BC binding and "Alfa skarvet" boots. I no experience with the MGV pattern as I have the wax version. I do have a pair of Fisher skies "country crown" witch are waxless, and they perform well to intended use.
Madshus is a safe choice, competitors are models like Fischer BCX 99, Fischer BCX 109, Ã…snes Amundsen. etc.

Things to consider: If you hike with a dog, a steel edge on the skis are a potential hazard. Waxless patterns are slower because of friction and can be "noisy" on hard snow/ice, the pattern is also likely to wear down over time - but unless you use the skis on gravel they should last several years of normal use and a decade with light use.

To me the Fisher waxless are best suited late in the season, when the snow is wet and waxing is difficult to get right. But I use them "all winter" when I hike with my kids (5,8 and 10) because it's difficult to wax skis, pull a pulk and manage the kids at the same time.. For serious day- and overnight hikes I would choose the Glittertind ski because it's a more serious ski, they are stronger, faster and more fun to ride downhill.

If you have no intention to learn how to wax a ski and a lower "overall speed" is no big concern the Madshus Glittertind MGV is a good choice. Pro sides are: ease of use, low maintenance and no need to wax before each trip and during hiking.

Btw: It's snowing here today  :)
Btw 2: In retrospect, the ski I have used the most for the last 5-6 years, are the waxless ones.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:00:06 am by Harstad »

Offline Gunny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:43:35 am »
Finally picked up a pair of Glittertinds paired with Voile 3 pin cables.  I like the idea of having the cable in my pack if something goes kitty wampus with the 3 pin.  My next concern is getting the binding mounted.  The only place that I can find around here (southern WI) is a large mountaineering equipmment chain store and the guy there started off by telling me I should switch to a system binding (SNS pilot) and asking if I knew where the 3 pin line on the ski was.  This didn't instill any confidence in the shops ability to mount the bindings correctly......Any suggestions?
"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Offline SupGen

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 04:13:03 pm »
  Gunny, I just mounted a pair of Voile Hardwires on the military surplus skis from Colemans' Surplus...for info on how to determine the three pin line, go here: http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/dirtbag.html . There are three options, Balance Point, Chord Center, and Mid-Sole (read up at the DirtbagPinner website, all will become clear), I went with Chord Center on mine. Heed the advice on the site about power tools and skis; make sure you use some sort of depth guage when drilling holes in your skis.8) I'm sure your Voiles came with a template as mine did; once you've marked the pin line the rest is pretty easy. Good luck, and if ya got any more questions, fire away!

Oh yeah, +1 on your tag line: "Come and take them"!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:17:18 pm by SupGen »

Offline Gunny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 04:24:18 pm »
Thanks for the info SupGen, I'll take a look, although I have to admit I'm a little skiddish trying this myself.  I'm headed to MN north shore next week, I may just wait and try to find a shop up there to do it.
"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Offline SupGen

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 04:52:10 pm »
  Cool Gunny, but read up on pin line placement anyway (did the guy at that shop ask if you knew where the pin line was or where you wanted it?) because the shop will ask where you want it; Balance Point is for flat terrain and Chord Center is a compromise between XC striding on the flats and turning; Mid-Sole is really for lift-served telemark skiing. Good luck whatever you decide.

Offline Gunny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 06:03:17 pm »
SupGen, just read that link you provided.......really good stuff, thanks again for the help/info......

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Offline SupGen

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 11:00:12 pm »
  No problem Gunny, here's some pics of the mounted bindings:

And with the boots:

Maybe we'll meet up on the trail someday, good luck and have fun!

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »
How do you fond the hardwire binding compared to the original cable type?
 I have been looking at that binding as a replacement for my current cable bindings It is certainly value for money although i do like the top-of-the-line Voile i can't really justify spending $400- at the moment

Offline SupGen

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 07:18:38 pm »
  I haven't had a chance to ski on them yet- every time it snowed here, it rained right afterwards. It rained last night and this morning, most of the snow we got Thursday is gone. This morning it was 52F, tonight it goes down to 5F. Still early though, hopefully we'll get some consistantly cold weather in the next week or so.

Offline Gunny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 05:08:40 pm »
I finally got the bindings mounted.  I've put about 30 miles on them now and absolutely love them.  I eneded up pairing them with a set of Karhu Nomads that I've had for a while and only used a half dozen times, wish I had used them more, I really like them.  The Glittertinds have performed as advertised so far, I was actually pretty impressed with the amount of grip the MGV pattern provided, and the amount of glide.

I even threw the kid into the EMSCO expedition sled, rigged a quick harness using a hip belt from one of my packs and some D-rings, skied for about 2 miles until we found an awesome hill for sledding down and spent the afternoon goofing off.

Thanks for all the helpfull replies to my posts fellas, this website has certainly sparked in me a passion for "winter trekking"
"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 11:20:37 pm »
I just scored a pair of Karhu "Lookouts" which are similar, price was right Free is good
Now I need 2 sets of bindings