View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg Area 2014 Group Trip  (Read 23197 times)

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Winnipeg Area 2014 Group Trip
« on: October 24, 2013, 11:07:39 pm »
Had a great time last year meeting some of the Winnipeg area members. I'm hoping to do another trip to the Whiteshell, January 9-11. It would be great to have some members from NW Ontario or the northen US come as well!

Let me know if you're available.

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
Re: Winnipeg Area 2014 Group Trip
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 12:41:52 pm »
Hey would you guys be interested in coming up to Red Lake to do a gathering in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park?  We are just getting our new winter program going and will be offering trips and gear rentals as well as access into the park.

This would be a great way to explore Woodland Caribou and up until this winter, nobody's ever really gone into the interior over the winter months.  Ice fishing and Boreal exploring options are endless.

Myself and another would be up for joining in on the fun if you guys decided to give it a try up here.

We have all the maps, trip planning info etc... too so we could take care of the planning.

Is this an option?

Harlan

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 02:10:35 pm »
If it was going to be for a week then yes that sounds fantastic but for just a couple of days I'm not sure I can justify the long trek up the Red Lake Road. Maybe one year we'll trek from one side of WCPP to the other just like a few folk have done in Quetico!

Last year we picked our venue so that it was not too far from the Trans-Canada Highway, not remote but accessible for those travelling from a bit further away.

Grizzly Adam and I have been chatting over ideas this morning. We're learning a lot about what makes a good winter trekking route so I'm sure we'll be able to come up with a few options.

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 02:17:59 pm »
Harlan,

I'll admit that it is tempting, but it looks like it would be a 7-8 hour drive one way for me to get there. As BV said, if we were to plan a longer trip I would definitely be interested. I'm limited in January, but with more notice I could possibly get a longer period off in Feb-Mar (not sure what my wife would say though).

The Whiteshell is nice because it is easy to access. I certainly wouldn't rule out going somewhere else, but I'd like to avoid driving 16 hours for two days in the bush.

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 01:37:31 pm »
I'm all in. but yes the less driving the better. I just got a baker tent that I'm itching to try out.

Offline toban_bison

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 10:59:06 pm »
If this is open to everyone, I am very interested in coming. I am confident I can get the time off work, but once the details are hammered down, I'll have to confirm. I'll watch the tread for any updates.

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 11:32:05 pm »
It certainly is welcome to everyone. With my work schedule being what it is the dates are pretty much firm, but as we get closer we'll be hammering out location and other minor details.

Keep watching this thread for information.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 01:46:07 pm »
Im ALL IN fella's maybe we could try the Caddy lake canoe route this year, there is sled access over the tracks for the tunnels. Or maybe some were up around Davidson lake MB/Ont Troughing in the thoughts. cheere Grizz

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 01:45:18 pm »
Just took a look at Caddy Lake. Do the tunnels freeze up, or is the water too swift through there?

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 06:11:30 pm »
I'm pretty sure the water stays open or would be thin and a bit risky at best. Lake levels vary quite a bit from one side of the rail line to the other. In the spring the flow is very strong.

Grizz and I  did find a route that bypasses Caddy, going direct to South Cross (dead fox trail!) so that could be an option. I am slightly reluctant to camp on South Cross as it gets hammered during the summer. see these pictures from the shoreline cleanup that we did in September.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.643134989059751.1073741828.100000897685850&type=1&l=32aeb00bce

The bush around any flat camping spot was rich in TP flowers and piles of poop  :(

Anyway no hurry to decide on routes. Lets see what the weather brings. Other options could be War Eagle Lake from Brereton or Cabin Lake from White Lake or lots further north into Nopiming or off the Bloodvein Rd up the east side of Lake Winnipeg.

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 07:39:14 pm »
BV, you and Grizz are far more familiar than I am with that area. I submit to your expertise. If there is an area you'd like to check out, I'm up for it.

Offline toban_bison

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 10:45:40 pm »
Just to clarify the dates - Starting on Thursday (Jan 9) and return Saturday (Jan 11)?

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 12:02:39 am »
Unless it ends up being a problem for a lot of people, yes.

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 12:34:08 am »
what about doing a trip from Falcon Lake to the Far side of High Lake or onto one of the islands? I know the Christi family who run the Falcon lake resort. there would be secure parking and not a bad hike in. some of it might be along a gravel road 2km tops (from the falcon lake resort to High lake. with no vehicle traffic) and then we're onto the lake. we could pick a nice little south facing bay and do some day hikes from there.

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 01:16:36 am »
Sounds fine to me. Do you know what the water depth is on that lake? I was surprised how shallow everything was where we camped last time. You don't expect to have to use snow melt when you're parked inbetween two 'lakes'