View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg Area 2014 Group Trip  (Read 24536 times)

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Winnipeg Area 2014 Group Trip
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 11:04:17 am »
High Lake sounds interesting. I've been in there via the portage for a day trip but never camped. Do they run ATVs on those trails in the winter. We tried pulling a toboggan along a trail with ATV ruts last winter and it was just about impossible to keep it from tipping on to its side.

I'm not sure which ones are groomed for skiing?

It's a very pretty lake. Probably best to avoid an island. The way you guys burn wood there would be nothing left by the end of the trip!

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 10:56:18 am »
so where are we with this? is it going to be High lake? who's coming?
after this cold snap things should be freezing up nicely.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 12:32:22 pm »
Hi,

I had hoped to try to get out with some of you more experienced winter hot tenters but can't make these dates work as I am going to be out with a different group in Riding Mountain that weekend.  I should have my tent & stove by then as they were shipped last week.  I will meet BV as he is making a sled for me.

Another time.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 10:30:04 pm »
Sorry to hear, hopefully we'll be able to have you out on another trip.

I'm fine trying out High Lake, although I'll need someone to give me a rough idea of where it is in the Whiteshell.

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 01:03:26 am »
find Falcon lake, go to the east end jump over a spit of land and there is high lake. sorry thats seems rude, High Lake is the one that sits on the border between Manitoba and Ontario. I'd like to hug the Northern shore so we have a nice south facing bay.
access would be from the falcon lake trails resort on the south side of the lake. it's a little over 2km from the resort to High lake. then a nice pull across the lake and find a nice spot.

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 09:19:14 pm »
I have another trekker (non-member) interested in coming along to this. He is a teacher from Winnipeg and used to take his kids into High Lake on winter trips. I sold him a toboggan last winter. They used to rent one of the eco- cabins as an emergency backup in case they had a hypothermic child etc. He should be a good source of info. on possible camp spots. He is also a good friend of the Christy(?) family so has offered to help with any arrangements that may be required for group parking etc.

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 10:10:43 am »
excellent! secure parking with the possibility of a starting boost is always a comfort.  how was you outing yesterday with grizz?

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 10:16:20 am »
Broke both rawhide main beams on my shoes fn GV crap , getting them re strung by Lynne at snowshoe sales and repairs and buying a pair of 11X40 trails for the wife at the same time. But had fun anyways cheers Grizz

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 09:01:11 pm »
Breaking the rawhide was really bad news. Maybe those bindings are too rigid for the rawhide?

Some info. from Dean re. access to High Lake from Falcon-

"There are excellent hard-packed x-c ski trials from the top of the ski hill in to High Lake. One begins near the Falcon Trails "maintenance yard" more than half-way up the ski hill and beside the normal public access road. Might be a good place to start, if we have permission from Falcon Trails. We'd have to do our best to keep our snowshoes and toboggans off the set x-c ski tracks - the trail is wide enough to accomplish this. There is also a new (2-year-old) trail, usually packed for x-c ski travel that heads south from the public road about a km west of the resort (no permission needed). This second option starts at a lower elevation and has more hills :( "

I think the second trail he refers to is the Trans-Canada Trail shown on here
http://falconridgeski.com/images/falcon_ridge_ski_trails.jpg

Talking to the proprietor at Brereton Lake Restaurant it sounds like the lakes are freezing well. They already have the snowmobile trails out on most.

BV

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 11:27:57 pm »
I know the ski trails like the back of my hand as I mountain bike them in the summer. Also I ran a mountain bike race there a few years running so the area between the lakes is like my back yard. I have always wanted to see the other side of High lake though.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 12:03:01 pm »
Bad news I have a Scouts Canada Winter camping training session that I am helping with on the 10 and 11 but all is not lost as I will come out for the 9 and part of the 10. Seems that these leaders need some serious help, they havent got a clue lol, apperantly their logic is that if things get bad they can just leave attitude. We all know what winter entails and some times you cannot "just leave" , I tried to explain the importance of some basic survival skills and was met with the "it can't happen to me gung ho attitude" so I think a bit of challange schooling is in order.

Kinda pisses me off a bit that people in charge of teaching others and in care of peoples childern would have that type of response, You would think that they of all people would understand that they need to be trained appropriately to deal with such circumstances that could happen in winter. sorry for the small rant guys. I'm definitly having a few drinks on the 9th just to calm my nerves for thr 10th lol cheers Grizz

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 12:10:48 pm »
Sorry guys I had a brain fart , I was thinking that we could meet before the trip possibly at one of the ski huts in birds hill park one evening to discuss trip stuff. There is a shack off of the 206 hwy 2k north of the east entrance or we could meet else where, Rick and my friend Jon are also wanting to come so if this works let me know on a date asap. cheers grizz

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 03:50:14 pm »
Okay, so seeing as we are getting close to the date, we might as well finalize some details. Grizz, were you suggesting meeting at the shack as a place to park the vehicles, or will there be a better place?

Regardless, lets aim to meet at/near Falcon Lake at 10am on January 9th. We'll find a camp spot on High Lake, and return on January 11th. A quick google search shows that there is a Falcon Beach Ranch, not sure whether we would be able to use that as a parking spot. Does anyone know whether it is used during the winter?

From the sounds of it, we are going to have the following people:
  • Myself and my friend Matt
  • Grizz, Rick, Jon (all leaving on the 10th, or just Grizz?)
  • thebushnut
  • BV and a friend
  • toban_bison

Did I miss anyone?

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 06:51:14 pm »
The location for heading out to High Lake is Falcon Ridge Ski Area- http://falconridgeski.com/about.php#x-country

We could always meet at the Ranger Station gas station on the Trans Canada. A good place to sit and drink coffee while waiting for Grizz after he gets lost!

they have a trail map on the website showing various routes into High Lake. Bushnut will know them better than most of us so I leave it up to him to select a route though we'll have to watch out for groomed tracks.

Their trail map show the Trans-Canada trail at the south west corner. Maybe this would be a good option?

I was hoping to stay on until Sunday 12th as it is my birthday!

Dean will likely only be coming along on Saturday. He was doubtful that they would have spare block heater sockets for us to use but at least we have help nearby and somewhere to wait if one of needs CAA!

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 06:57:42 pm »
I have just spotted that they have a Biathlon event booked for the 11th. I wonder how this may affect the trails?

BV